February: Dijon or Lyon?

Old Sep 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
February: Dijon or Lyon?

With lots of help from Fodorites, my husband and I had settled on 2 nights in Lyon and 2 nights in Paris for a long weekend in February. We now are having some second thoughts about Lyon and wondering whether Dijon would be the better choice (though a bit more complicated to get to, as we would have to get from CDG to Gare de Lyon to train to Dijon). We love the foods and wines of Burgundy, so this would be a draw. Is there enough to see and do in Dijon that time of year? Am I being ridiculous to think we won't love the food in Lyon? Thanks (again)!
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM

I haven't been to Lyon so can't compare for you. But this past spring I spent about 3 weeks in Dijon and environs and liked it very much. About a week in Dijon itself divided between 2 visits, a week walking along the Burgundy Canal and a week in Beaune. Lots to see, good food, pretty everywhere I went with a lot of variety. I would certainly recommend Burgundy.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM

Why don't you just look at guidebooks or something and assess which city has things you most want to see or do.

I have no idea if you'll like the food in Lyon or not, but it is considered a major gastronomic center. But if you don't like Lyonnaise cuisine, that doesn't matter. I'm not that crazy about Burgundy cuisine (or Alsacienne, for that matter). I don't really like a lot of fatty and heavy foods, so a lot of French specialties are not for me from all kinds of areas, including a lot of sausages (which are big in Lyon), but there are other specialities. If you're a foodie, you probably know what is the cuisine is noted for.

So your whole decision is based on food? Sounds like it, so I think you just have to find out what Lyonnaise cuisine is like if you don't and decide if you'd like that. Of course, you can eat just about anything in a city of that size, which is why I'd personally choose based on the city and what I wanted to see or do most. I never visit a place mainly for the food, though, I don't care about it that much, I can always find something I'm satisfied with.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM

oh, I do like French wine a lot, and hope you aren't suggesting there is no decent wine in the Rhone area.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Certainly not saying we wouldn't enjoy Rhone wines! When we travel, we like to walk a lot, visit historical sites, art museums and places of interest. We also enjoy sampling the foods and wines of the region; however, we don't go for offal.
I am wondering if we will like the food of Lyon; also wondering whether there would be enough to do/see at that time of year in Dijon. Thanks.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Lyon has a great Old Town, with pedestrian streets, oldd boildings, traboules (alleyways), and then up top of the hill, great views, roman area, gallo-roman museum. Place Bellecour and Place des Terraux and very nice squares. All of the above could easily use up a cople of days, and are all located in the same area.

I liked the food in Lyon, I tried a bouchon (traiditional) as well as 'regular' restaurants, such as Paul Bocuse's Est and Brasserie Georges (fabulous old style look).

I think Lyon gets overlooked sometimes. It is a large city, but if you stay/go to the Old area, you will be happy.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Relatives in Lyon brag about their cuisine - and for two days I would chose Lyon as there is IME so much more to see and do - Dijon to me is at best a few-hour stroll - it is nice but not much really to see per se rather than the town - Lyon has character - Dijon IME is just another (nice) regional French town - on Sunday Dijon, if like many French towns I've been in, could be dead as a doornail - Lyon would have much more going on as befits France's 2nd or 3rd largest cities (I believe 2nd or 3rd not sure).
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 01:49 PM

It always depends, of course, on one's taste in towns as in everything else. For 2 days my preference is for as small a place as possible, the better to see the individual aspects and residents of a place. One good place to stay and 1 good restaurant is all I need and "dead as a doornail" sounds perfect. I also realize that I may be entertained more easily than some.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM

As Michel rightly says Lyon has a lot of things to offer, food being one of them.
Visit Lyon this time and on a next trip you can go to Dijon, you can go wrong I cannot invisage
not liking Lyon.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM

sorry I meant YOU CANNOT go wrong if you choose Lyon
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Another vote for Lyon , in adddition to the Hill that works and The Hill that prays, the painted buildings are delightful. Lots of museums and good transport, way more than enough 2 days. Great food too!
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM

check out les troboules (sp?) in Lyon's Old Town - not far from the funicular that goes up to God's place - tiny passageways that are very romantic and famous
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

All of your comments, encouragement and suggestions have been very helpful - we're going to Lyon this time, Dijon another time. Thank you!
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM

La Machonnerie, at the Cathedral end of the old town is a nice bouchon, with traditional Lyonnais food. there are a few restaurants in the Old Town that were a bit too..touristy.

The Metro system, called the T is very good so if you do not find a place near the old town, not a big deal. I stayed near the railway station, at a basic hotel.

There is a funicular up to the cathedral on top of the hill. The Cathedral itself I found 'just OK', but if you walk from there (via the gardens) to the other end of the hill (towards roman arena) there are some nice views. The arean itself has some preserved vits, and is used in the summer for outdoor concerts. When you want to go down, skip the funicular and take Montee St Barthelmy, which is a nice small street down the side of the hill with nice views. It is near the entrance to the Gallo-Roman museum.

Croix-Rousse is another mountain you can go up. I went strictly to see a local neighbourhood, and was pleasantly surprised. There are stairs down the hill (similar to Montmartre in Paris), and view, and a small roman coliseum where they say the first christian was killed by a lion.

I took a tour of the Old Town via the Tourist Bureau at Place Bellecour, only a couple of minutes walk from Old Town.

Place des Terraux has (ignoring time of year) outdoor patios for drinks and eats. Very nice place to have lunch. While there, look into the courtyard of the Art Museum (old monastery) and City Hall.

If you walk from Place Bellecour towards Old Town and river, cross over and head right along river (or walk down main street of Old Town), you will come to the famous painted building with famous citizens of the city represented.

You will enjoy