Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris/Reims day trip - purchase tickets here or there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-reims-day-trip-purchase-tickets-here-or-there-854469/)

Bazonia Aug 13th, 2010 02:26 PM

Paris/Reims day trip - purchase tickets here or there?

I have read about Reims day trips on the forum, but I still don't know how to make this decision on my own...
Four of us are meeting in Paris for five days at the end of Sept., beginning of October. We are planning a day trip to Reims as part of our trip. Up to now I have been thinking that we should buy the train tickets in Paris a day or two ahead of our proposed trip date: October 3rd, a Sunday, so that if the weather is horrendous, or something unforseen comes up, we can shift it by a day or two.
The sights we want to see will be open in Reims on a Sunday, so there is no need to eliminate that day.
Can I safely assume that four seats will be available on the TGV a day or two ahead of our chosen day? I have been researching, and I don't think the trip will be more expensive if we buy in France rather than here. The cost is about $56.00. It would be less on a weekday, but that won't work out.
Thank you ahead of time,
Baz

Bazonia Aug 13th, 2010 07:06 PM

Anyone? Anyone?

bilboburgler Aug 14th, 2010 02:12 AM

You will be ok, but there may be the occasional train that is full (the rush hour). If I was doing it I'd buy it there. I think its a great trip idea but you might like to look at a varient where you take the train to Eperney and walk the Avenue de Champagne.

bilboburgler Aug 14th, 2010 02:13 AM

sorry just spotted you are doing the weekend trip, that will be ok, trains will be pretty clear

Bazonia Aug 14th, 2010 02:49 AM

Thank you so much - I will buy the tickets there.
I think Epernay will be a great idea for another time. We are very interested in the Reims cathedral, the art/archaeology museum there, and the Surrender Museum.
But, champagne will also be part of the day!
Baz

bilboburgler Aug 14th, 2010 07:12 AM

if you walk north of the cathedral (0.5 km say) you will find a square called the forum. Now this is the site of the Roman forum and is surrounded by good restaurants.

PalenQ Aug 14th, 2010 07:21 AM

Yes you should have no problem getting on trains to Reims - and save money by buying there. In addition to TGV trains there are probably regional trains still running that are cheaper if a bit slower and you can always board those trains - unlike TGVs where you must have a seat reservation before boarding (comes with your TGV ticket).

Christina Aug 14th, 2010 08:20 AM

I might be wrong, but I don't think they have anything but TGV trains from Paris to Reims any more. I think they might have a regional one to Epernay, though.

Bazonia Aug 14th, 2010 10:17 AM

Bilboburgler - thank you for the restaurant recs. We will definitely amble over there.
I did notice the regional trains still run on that line. They are a bit cheaper and about a half hour longer with a change, but one of our party is a train buff, and wants to ride the TGV.
Anyway, I would rather be in Reims in about 45 minutes, but if works out that we need to take a regional - that's no hardship.
Thanks again,
Baz

Baz