Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Public Transportation from Airport! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-public-transportation-from-airport-1005365/)

byersb449 Feb 10th, 2014 06:05 AM

Paris Public Transportation from Airport!

Bonjour!
Leaving for Paris in a few weeks. Only there for a long weekend. I just wanted to get some feed back or advice about the public transportation. (Pretty much just trying to figure out, getting to and from the airport)
Ok… we fly into Charles de Gaulle(CDG) airport, we need to get into the left bank, our hotel is near the Odeon metro stop (line 4)… so, having done a little research, it seems the cheapest and most knowledgeable way to go is.

Get on Roissy Bus at CDG, from there, take RoissyBus to Opera stop, from Opera, go to Line 3, Connect to Line 4 and then get off at Odeon stop. (*phew*) (the bus ride alone is 50mins.)

^To my knowledge this seems like the route to go, but it will all take a while and lots of stops. Besides a taxi.. any other options or advice anyone else has.. that will get me to and from airport?
We will take the metro around, once in the city.. but just wanted to double check my options. Thanks guys!

billandcindy Feb 10th, 2014 06:59 AM

From CDG terminal, walk to the RER station and take the train (Line B) to Saint Michel; transfer to Metro Line 4 to Odeon (first stop). Assumes you're traveling light enough to handle your bags and get up and down some stairs and to and through these stations. Will need tickets for both the train and metro, which you can buy at the airport train station and at the Saint Michel hub. Cost about 10 Euros per person for the trip, I think.

sueciv Feb 10th, 2014 07:11 AM

Well, if you have rollers, you could walk. I walked from the Opera back to my hotel in the left bank. Due to the early hour my flights have always arrived, I'm fond of a taxi after the AirFrance bus ...

jpie Feb 10th, 2014 08:56 AM

The most direct is the RER route mentioned by billandcindy. Just wanted to mentioned that depending on where your hotel is near Odeon the next stop Luxembourg could be closer-just take a look on google maps-easy to tell.

Another Roissy bus option is to take the line that goes to Montparnasse and take the 4 metro up to Odeon. I actually love bus into Paris when I have time because you just sit there and enjoy the view and they handle luggage etc. If you decide to walk from there it is 1.3 miles according to google.

IMO walking from Opera after a flight would kill me 1.8 miles by foot....but then again many people arrive early before they can check into their hotel or apartment and have time to kill and like to stretch their legs

Christina Feb 10th, 2014 09:02 AM

PUblic transportation is always the cheapest, but of course there are group airport shuttle vans, as in many cities. Those aren't that expensive. I would never do what you are contemplating to save a few euro, and walking from the Opera? yikes.

But in any case, I would never take the Roissybus, I'd take the RER to St Michel or Luxembourg.

Christina Feb 10th, 2014 09:04 AM

oh, if you are too far to walk from the RER stop, I'd take the Air France bus to Montparnasse and take the metro direct from there to Odeon stop. It isn't that much trouble to get onto the metro from the Montparnasse train station, it's all down from street level by escalator, as I recall. But the AF bus does cost more than the RER (but I like it a lot more).

There is no Roissybus option to anywhere but the Opera, as someone mentioned -- it is the Air France bus.

byersb449 Feb 10th, 2014 09:41 AM

Thanks for all the feed back! Ok, yeah, the RER makes way more sense now. I saw it on the metro map, but was confused as to what train it was. For the RER … I can walk to that line from CDG right? And will it be fine to purchase tickets right there or is in advance needed?
Thank you all! You really helped!

Sarastro Feb 10th, 2014 11:36 AM

You may purchase RER tickets, or any tickets for that matter, at either of the CDG service widows at Terminal 2 or Roissypol, the RER stops at both locations. All trains actually start at Terminal 2, stop at Roissypol and then continue into Pairs. Cost is 9.75€.

The ticket kiosks at Terminal 2 will not accept magnetic strip credit cards, you must use the service window there. The kiosks at Roissypol will accept magnetic strip credit cards. If the lines at the RER station in Terminal 2 are lengthy, as they sometimes are, it may be beneficial to take the CDGVal, the free rail shuttle, to Roissypol and puchase tickets there.

jpie Feb 10th, 2014 12:29 PM

Christina-yes sorry I meant AF bus not Roissy bus

billandcindy Feb 10th, 2014 02:05 PM

The RER stop at Luxembourg may be better if the walk is not too great from there to your hotel, as the St. Michel station is generally a zoo most of the time we've been through it! Then again, if your hotel is north of Blvd St. Germain, it might be better just to walk from the Saint Michel station.

byersb449 Feb 11th, 2014 01:50 PM

Thanks guys!
Billandcindy.. Saint Michel stop is the one we need… our flight gets in later at night, around 7ish.. so hopefully not too busy. Thanks again, all!