Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Provence and London (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-provence-and-london-1654213/)

Amesri Jun 5th, 2018 05:54 AM

Paris Provence and London

Hello all!!
i am in the early stages of planning this trip. I have 12 night total and flying into Paris and out of London. We are a family of 7 including a 10 year old and a 15 year old plus grandparents. I need help on how to break up my itinerary. Thinking of doing 4 night Paris 3 nights Provence and 5 nights London. Is it worth it to go to Provence? Or should I just do 6 nights Paris and 6 nights London. We really wanted to squeeze in French Countyside.

mjs Jun 5th, 2018 05:58 AM

I do not think it is worthwhile to do Provence for 2 days. Paris and Provence would be reasonable.

Amesri Jun 5th, 2018 06:07 AM

Was thinking of taking the train from Paris to Provence and spending 3 nights in Provence. Then take the train to London from there. Is that too much and not enough time in each place?

AJPeabody Jun 5th, 2018 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Amesri (Post 16741462)
Was thinking of taking the train from Paris to Provence and spending 3 nights in Provence. Then take the train to London from there. Is that too much and not enough time in each place?

You are right. Too little time in each place. And Provence is a region, not a place, and so would require a car (or more for the size of your group). Provence to London would take a day. Paris to Provence, renting a car, etc, another day. No, you won't have the time.
Meanwhile, Paris to London via train is a snap. Even including hotel check out at one end and check in at the other, you won't kill a whole day.
By the way, you may find that because of taxes and fees, it could be cheaper to fly into London and out of Paris rather than the reverse.

janisj Jun 5th, 2018 07:16 AM

>>Was thinking of taking the train from Paris to Provence and spending 3 nights in Provence. Then take the train to London from there. Is that too much and not enough time in each place?<<

That plan leaves you 2 days for Provence. Not even close to practical - especially for a group that size. EITHER do Paris + Provence, or Paris + London. Paris/London would be easier logistics-wise.

If you do choose London/Paris - definitely do open jaw in to London and home from Paris rather that the other way around. But if you've already booked flights in to Paris and home from London - then that's water under the bridge . . . And that makes the decision for you: Paris + London it is.

StCirq Jun 5th, 2018 07:36 AM

You don't have time to visit all three places, especially with a group that large. Taking a train (trains) from Provence to London is exceedingly impractical.

Paris and London is the most practical combination. You can always take a daytrip from Paris to see some countryside if you wish.

BigRuss Jun 5th, 2018 07:47 AM

You don't have time for a group that large and a group that includes pensioners. Don't run the oldies ragged. You can easily do day trips from the major cities to see something non-urban.

PalenQ Jun 5th, 2018 10:57 AM

Maybe if forgo London you could do Paris and more time in Provence. Book trains Paris-London as early as possible to snatch deep discountedtickets - www.eurostar.com - book your own tickets online - www.seat61.com has great info on doing that - general info trains BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

If Provence for several days you could rent a gite or house in a small village - you'd need a car to get around of course.

historytraveler Jun 5th, 2018 11:17 AM

With that many people they'd need a couple of cars. Agree that day trips from London and Paris offer the best options.

PalenQ Jun 5th, 2018 11:48 AM

and if doing day trips from Paris or London do not think of a car - take trains - very easy - no need of a group tour.