Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris plus what other city? for a seven day trip in December (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-plus-what-other-city-for-a-seven-day-trip-in-december-954190/)

batya2 Oct 20th, 2012 03:36 AM

Paris plus what other city? for a seven day trip in December

We want to travel to Paris with our two teenage daughters in December. We have seven/eight days so we would like to spend three or four in Paris and then travel via train to another city for the last days and fly out from there.
Any suggestions for a good pairing of cities to do with Paris- in December?

jamikins Oct 20th, 2012 03:41 AM

London is easy on the Eurostar www.eurostar.com

You could also do somewhere like Strasbourg or a town in Germany or Bruges for great Xmas markets and atmosphere.

If you decide somewhere like London be sure to book your flights into one city and out of the other to avoid backtracking.

Gretchen Oct 20th, 2012 04:05 AM

Depending on your flight into Paris, I would definitely make it at least 4 in Paris. Your first day, while you can do things, it will be an "early to bed" to get you started the next day.
You may even be sorry if you don't spend all the days there, "perhaps" making one day trip to somewhere nearby--Versailles or a TGV to Dijon or Lyon.

ParisAmsterdam Oct 20th, 2012 04:27 AM

With 7 days you lose the first and last to travel. So you have only 5. Stay in Paris. If you do have 7 days on the ground take the Thalys TGV to Amsterdam.

mamcalice Oct 20th, 2012 04:34 AM

With 7 days, I would stay in Paris for the whole time, making a day trip or 2 to Chartres and Versilles for example. If you actually have 8 days on the ground, not including arrival and departure days, you could consider two or three days in Amsterdam, Bruges or Strausbourg.

We are huge Paris fans so we tend to spend a week or longer at a time. But if you would rather see more locations, I agree with the Eurostar to London. In that case, I would fly into London and out of Paris to avoid the high departure taxes at Heathrow.

adrienne Oct 20th, 2012 04:49 AM

I also would spend the week in Paris since there is so much to see and do there, especially if this is your first time to Paris. Make up a list of sights you want to see in Paris and see if it fits into 3-4 days.

If you absolutely need a second location make it some place close since you'll lose most of the day traveling. All of the above suggestions are good.

denisea Oct 20th, 2012 07:55 AM

Agree, stay in Paris and take a few day trips from there. Strasbourg would be my choice...maybe for a few days rather than a day trip. The Christmas markets there would be fun!

Certainly, Versailles is worth a visit and is very easy from Paris. Chartres, Reims, Fontainebleu, Vaux le Vicomte would all be good options....

But, a week in Paris will fly by and even if you don't leave the city, you will not even scratch the surface of seeing Paris (all the more reason to go back).

December with all the Christmas markets and the decorated store windows is a great time to be in Paris.

Christina Oct 20th, 2012 12:24 PM

I think London is a good idea and I would imagine the teens will like it.

amer_can Oct 20th, 2012 01:38 PM

Don't waste your time going to another country..Go to Versailles one day and do Paris..Lots to see, do, experience. Hop on Hop off and batobus (same ticket) will set the scene. take full advantage of this. BTW there is an infrequently museum/monument behind Notre Dame.. The deportation memorial from WWII. Have a great time..The City of Lights will be sparkling!!

theotherside Oct 21st, 2012 01:24 PM

I haven't been there but the suggestion of strasbourg sounds good!
You could also suggest to your daughters Nice, which would give you a good contrast. Its about 4 hours away on the TGV.
I'm sure you are aware Nice has good flight connections

batya2 Oct 22nd, 2012 03:53 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions- we have decided to take the advice and say in Paris the entire time with day trips to Versailles and maybe one other. We can't wait.

DebbieMG48 Oct 22nd, 2012 05:10 PM

I have spent a lot of time in Paris, and 7 days is not enough time to experience the city. The best thing about Paris is seeing it in a leisurely manner, sitting in the cafes and bistros. If you must leave the city, go to Versailles, as amer-can suggested. My late mother and I went there and took the wrong train and ended up in St. Cyr. It was something she spoke of until the day she died. We eventually made it to Versailles and had to relax at the McDonalds with coffee after getting lost.

justineparis Oct 22nd, 2012 08:02 PM

Nice is actually 5 hours and 40 minutes away from Paris by TGV, its a whole day of travel really.

ita Oct 23rd, 2012 09:44 AM

I agree, stay in Paris and take day trips. I haven't been to Chartres, but that would be first on my list for another trip. The best thing I have ever done in Paris is take a guided tour of Pere Lachaise Cemetery. It took several hours and was a wonderful history lesson of Paris. The guide planned the tour especially for us. If you are interested I think it was Insight tours. If you go to her website it will describe the tour we took.