Paris out of the inner Arrondissments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to look for an apartment for 2 for a trip to Paris next March. We have always stayed in the inner Arrondissments-1, 5 or 6. This time we want to try something different and are looking for either suggestions for areas to look for apartments or apartments in outer Arrondissments. TIA.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 09:25 AM

I've been to Paris a number of times, and I've always stayed in the 15th Arr. I stayed at what was then the Comfort Suites on Rue Viale. The hotel was great and prices weren't expensive. I can't say what they are now, and the hotel is no longer the Comfort Suites. I chose it because I made reservations here at home in the US, and I was extremely happy with the choice every time I went there. The great part of staying in the 15th is that:1- We were about 300 feet from the Metro, and it was very convenient to access any part of Paris easily. 2- There are many neighborhood restaurants in the area, a good one right across the street from the hotel. 3-The absolute best is that this hotel is right on the edge of the 15th, and very close to the Eiffel Tower, so it's just a short walk there. 4- Another best thing-- I'm originally from New York City, and I've had exposure to good Italian restaurants, but the best I've ever been to is right near the Tower. It's named Iolanda's. The owner is from Naples, and he cooks up a storm.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM

If you are willing to take the risk, try 13th. We just stayed there with substantial savings. I found an apartment on AirBnB in an old Hausmann style building. The apartment was on the 3rd floor without an elevator. It was very close to a metro stop Porte de Choisy. The closer metro stops are Tolbiac, Porte de Italie, and Place de Italie.

The commute was longer than from 1-6, of course, but comparable to the time I stayed in Montmartre, 18th arrondissement. I got a different glimpse of Paris, being surrounded by Asian immigrants, shops, and restaurants.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
All of the outer arrondissements have advantages and inconveniences. However, the advantages are usually major and unexpected ("Wow! I had no idea they had such things out here!") while the inconveniences are minor and obvious ("Why did I ever worry about spending an extra 10 minutes on the metro?").
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the multiple posts. Fodor's wasn't showing any as having been loaded on the board.

kerouac- since we have been to Paris multiple times we are not worried about getting to the top sites and are focusing on the type of areas that you show in your photos. So any specific recommendtations would be helpful.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well, in spite of a report that I made last week that had a certain amount of success, I would still not recommend staying in the 16th arrondissement. Any of the other outer arrondissements is fine, for a variety of reasons.