Paris-Orsay Museum--Renovations

Apr 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Paris-Orsay Museum--Renovations

Just read that renovations are going on--Impressionist level.
Does anyone have any info? Can you still see some of the paintings?
I do know that some will be heading to San Francisco for an exhibit
Will be in Paris 1st week of June.
Apr 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM

Would like some response to this as well, but do you know what works will be going to SF for viewing, when the exhibition will be, and the location of the exhibit?
Apr 23rd, 2010, 05:31 PM

This exhibition has just closed in Canberra, Australia. The website nga.gov.au/masterpiecesfromparis will give you details of the paintings It was wonderful-enjoy Trotsky
Apr 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM

There will be two shows this year at the de Young Museum in San Francisco that will consist entirely of paintings on loan from Musee d'Orsay. The first ("The Birth of Impressionism") opens on May 22 and runs through September 6, and the second ("Van Gogh, Cezanne and Beyond: Post-Impressionism") begins on September 25 and ends on January 18, 2011. The two shows will feature some 240 works. Renovations at Musee d' Orsay are supposed to be completed by March 2011. (A website: famsf.org)
Apr 23rd, 2010, 09:13 PM

The Orsay has a fabulous web site which shows the works in their collection and tells a bit about the item (under Collections). Decide what you're interested in and then go to the museum floor plan and enter the works that interest you to find if they are exhibited in one of the galleries.

Like many large museums, the Orsay doesn't exhibit all their works at one time so can afford to lend things to other museums. For instance, if you enter "Degas" and "paintings" you will see that the Orsay has 43 Degas paintings and is currently exhibiting 22 of them. For Renoir paintings, the Orsay is exhibiting 15 of the 82 they own.

You can also see Impressionist paintings at the Orangerie and Marmottan museums.
Apr 23rd, 2010, 09:39 PM

thanks for the info on the de Young, wanderful! I will have to try and schedule a visit.
Apr 24th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Hello adrienne. If the website is so fabulous, why not give us the link? The forum is more valuable as an exchange of information to support opinion.
Apr 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM

musee-orsay.fr
Apr 26th, 2010, 05:58 AM

We just returned from Paris. We visited the d'orsy twice: first we did a tour and then returned on our own.Although renovations are proceeding, there was no problem in seeing many impressionist works. We very much enjoyed both the tour and our own meanderings. Go there and enjoy.
Apr 26th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.....will just go for it in June and see what's to be seen!
Since we have visited it on 3 other trips...there is still more to be seen!
May 13th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Oooh Oooh, Caillebotte's Floor Scrapers!!! I am so there!

Thanks, wanderful for the info!
May 13th, 2010, 12:55 PM

We had a very different experience.

We were there last week and when we went in, we were surprised how many people were there... it was a bit overwhelming. We decided to 'cut our losses' so to speak and see a few favorites and leave with our sanity intact. We went and found a few Van Gogh's that the kids know and then went looking for "The Little Dancer" by Degas - my girls love it and it is one of their favorites after they've read books about her. We couldn't find her, so I asked a guard ... she's in the temporary exhibit "Crime and Punishment". When we tried to walk over there, we had to pay an extra fee to get in. And the guard told me that she is near the guillotine section which may not be appropriate for kids (her words, not mine... I don't sugarcoat life).

Please tell me what exactly the Little Dancer has to do with Crime and Punishment ?

Nothing. The Musee d'Orsay is trying to capitalize upon people wanting to see certain works and charging extra. I wasn't happy about it. Luckily, the kids accepted that it wasn't worth it to pay extra and we left.

I also wanted to take a picture of the kids silhouetted by the clock on the top floor... I have one of the girls from 3 years ago with them holding hands... v. cute, but couldn't because 1) can't take pictures. 2) top floor closed.

So my frustrations:
=> crowded (probably not more people, but felt more crowded since same amount in less space)
=> sad top floor closed
=> couldn't take pictures (this is new)
=> couldn't get to clock on top floor
=> temporary exhibit is extra cost
=> favorite works which are not 'on point' are in special exhibit and therefore, extra cost

So, needless to say, Musee d'Orsay has gone from a 'thumbs up, I love it!' to a ' thumbs down, it annoyed me on many levels'.
May 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM

Surfergirl, I saw Caillebotte´s Floor Scrappers a couple of months in Spain. I suspect the exhibition that came here was "The birth of Impressionism". Not a lot of the biggies, but there were some amazing Sisleys and Cezannes ...

Bye, Cova
May 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM

>>>Please tell me what exactly the Little Dancer has to do with Crime and Punishment ?<<<<

I'm going to this exhibit in a few days and so have been reading up about it- apparently Degas was quite fascinated with the idea of craniology (or whatever it's called- that old Victorian theory that the shape of your head and facial feature correlate with personality and behavioural tendencies)...

Anyways, apparently he incorporated those ideas into his sculptures of ballet dancers- back then in Paris ballet dancers were often rescued street kids and were considered disreputable, like prostitutes. So that's why the sculpture is included in the exhibit.
May 13th, 2010, 02:42 PM

asked and answered... impressive apres_londee!
May 14th, 2010, 09:37 AM

I don't think they are trying to make money by things like that, I think it's hard to come up with some exhibition ideas sometimes, and this one is stretching it. There are ten bazillion copies of that thing, anyway, I've seen it everywhere. They have one where I live (the Natl Gallery in Wash DC) that I see all the time. It's also at the Met in NY, at the Tate in London, etc. I think there are about 30 of them.
May 14th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Accurate post, Apres_Londee, thank you. We were there today, our third visit over several years, and Surfmom was right about the crowds....man, it is packed and I think the special exhibit on crime and punishment had something to do with it. We thought that special exhibit was a slice of history that is worth the Euro (audio guide in English is also worth it).

Yes, there is a hall the length of the building that contains Impressionist paintings (Manet, Monet, Cezanne, Degas, Sisley, Signic, and Renior favorites.

If there was one place I would recommend someone visit in Paris it would be there. You just have to remember that this is the Reader Digest version of an art museum. Buy your ticket in advance via internet and you will get in sooner than we did since we don't have a printer in the apartment, otherwise you might wait an hour in line.

Good luck, Tom
May 23rd, 2010, 04:54 AM

Just wanted to correct myself- the term is "phrenology". Anyways, I saw the exibit a few days ago and thought it was fairly interesting. Strange, but interesting.
May 23rd, 2010, 06:45 AM

I was just cleaning out 'stuff' from our recent trip and have the pamphlet from the description of the Crime and Punishment exhibit (in English). It has room by room descriptions of the central theme of each room.

I'm pitching them in a week.. if anyone is interested before they go, send me an email and I'll pop them in the mail -