Paris or Versailles in 3 days

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris or Versailles in 3 days

Do I spend all my time in Paris or make it to Versailles and skip the Rodin or the neighborhood walks?

We arrive in Paris by 11AM Tuesday and leave 8PM Thursday evening.
Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:51 AM
Degas

Stay in Paris.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:52 AM

I agree.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:52 AM

ditto
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:53 AM

Definitely!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Wow! I am very surprised! I understand the Versailles fountains don't run any other day but Saturdays. Or maybe I read that wrong in the guide book?

I am really surprised you say stay in Paris. I am the type who likes to discover my own stuff too, so I think I might heed your suggestion. But...I think my travelling companions might disagree.

So tell me WHY we should stay in Paris.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
ira

Dear Mom,

If your friends want to go to Versaille, fine.

Take a look at the fodors.com miniguide to Paris and you will see why we think that your stay is too short to go out of the city for a day.

Besides, the Versaille palace ain't that great.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:35 AM
ira

PS did you mean to say that you are arriving Thurs and leaving Tues?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:36 AM

Because if this is your first trip to Paris, there is easily enough to keep your jaw dropping for three months, never mind three days.
On the other hand, if you've been to Paris a bunch of times, or have a particular affinity for the history of the Sun King or a yen to see where Marie Antoinette played at being a shepherdess or a fountain fetish or an insatiable desire to see wretched excess at is very best, then by all means go!
There's nothing WRONG with going to Versailles - it's just that most people would argue that 3 days in Paris will barely scratch the surface there, so why limit it even more with a day trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:40 AM

I also agree you should stay in Paris.

I thought the fountains were on Sunday, not Sat, but either way you aren't there one of those days.

Because you are only there a couple days, that's why I think you should not do it. Really only one full day, Wednesday. There isn't any day trip outside Paris I would recommend anyone go to if they are only there about two days. YOu haven't given enough details to say much, though -- if you'd been there twenty times and never seen Versailles, sure, why not, or if you are obsessed with Marie Antoinette, etc. Versailles can be crowded and it takes a lot of time to see, that's all.

So, if you or your friends are dead set on going to it anyway, go ahead. I know some people get bored really quickly in cities and want to move on, or only spend a little time at things, so if you think have two half days (Tu afternoon and Thursday morning) is a lot of time for Paris, go to Versailles and I hope you enjoy it, but it shouldn't surprise you this is the recommendation as I think most people would recommend that in almost all European capital cities (not to leave to see a former palace or castle if you're only there two days).
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina,

Two of us have been there before, but they were w/ their family on a WHIRLWIND two day, 1 night trip to see the MUST sees in Paris.

I and my daughter have NEVER been to Paris. I was basically following Rick Steve's Best of Europe 3 day itinerary for Paris and he recommended Versailles one afternoon.

No big Marie Antoinette fan here. I didn't think about that kind of thing, until yesterday when I talked w/ a local store owner who turns out to be a Napoleon freak. When she visited Paris (only once I think) she hired an English speaking cab driver to show her all the Napoleon stuff. She said it turned out great because he knew more than she did and not only the well known Napoleon sites.

That brings up another question. Should we hire a tour guide? There's one named Michael ?? that I read raves about, but that might have been on the Rick Steves board. Though I am one to read up on something and find my own treasures; but with such a bounty as Paris I might just have to follow the tour book's advice to hit the highlights.

Right? ;-)
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:18 PM

StCirq said it best. You are barely scratching the surface of Paris in three days. Spend all your time there!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 02:05 PM
Intrepid

It sounds as if someone thinks you are planning on spending more time in Versailles than in Paris. It isn't as if Versailles is in another country...if you think Versailles is worth a visit then just go do it...an easy less than a day if you want it to be trip from downtown Paris. You'll never be able to see "everything" in Paris in three days anyway..if Versailles is high on your list then go there.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:23 PM

My first whirlwind trip to Paris I spent a half day at Versailles and was "highly" unimpressed. However, it was October - no fountains going and no flowers. Several years later I went for a whole day - so much nicer. On my own, wandering everywhere. You really can't do it justice in a 1/2 day.

Personally, I would use Rick Steves' walks or Steinbicker's France Daytrips (Paris walks included). With such a short time you could plot out your time ahead and see a lot. I would not want to miss the Rodin!

I think adding Versailles is too much.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:24 PM

I think you'll enjoy your stay more if you skip Versailles and concentrate your time on Paris proper.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:34 PM

As most everyone else has said -- skip versailles.

Also - there is really no need for a personal guide. Everyplace has info in English and you don't need to pay a guide to tell you the same things. There is a terrific hop-on-hop-off bus tour that takes you just about everywhere. The buses have commentary in several languages including English. In 2+ days you will only see a tiny fraction of Paris - but the bus tour lets you at least see the outsides of all the "biggies" and you can get off to visit something -- Notre dame, Eiffel Tower, Lux. gardens, etc. then jump on another bus and continue the tour.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. I definitely could spend weeks in Paris. I can already tell. Sigh...But I am thrilled to be going at all and will make the most of it!

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Do I dare mention a day trip to Chartres? Oh...just hit me!! LOL!!
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi Mom,

Actually, Chartres is not such a bad idea. The stained glass in the Cathedral is wonderful.
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that would be lovely. I just don't know if we'll get to it this time. We'll have to lavish our eyes on St. Chapelle instead. But...if there were time...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -