Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris or not? A true dilemma (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-or-not-a-true-dilemma-612626/)

jayne1973 May 3rd, 2006 06:49 AM

Paris or not? A true dilemma

Please share your thoughts: We have a preliminary three-week itinerary that begins in Amsterdam for three nights; then 10 days in Germany, including the Rhine/Mosel area, Rothenburg, Fussen, Berchtesgaden and Munich; then four nights in Paris and back to Amsterdam for three nights before flying back to U.S.

My dilemma is whether to skip Paris and spend the extra time in Germany. I'd love to see Paris but would also enjoy more time to explore Germany. Timeframe is late September/early October.

This will be our first real trip to Europe. Hubby has been on business but I've only been to U.K.

What would you do?

opaldog May 3rd, 2006 06:59 AM

Paris would be high priority for me. I would never skip Paris, but then I am addicted to the city.

nessundorma May 3rd, 2006 07:00 AM

Skip why not skip the final 3 days in Amsterdam? The first 3 should be enough.

sandi_travelnut May 3rd, 2006 07:04 AM

Have you purchased your tickets yet? Maybe you could stay in Paris and fly home from there. I would never skip it if given the chance to go.

ZoeB May 3rd, 2006 07:10 AM

DO NOT SKIP PARIS! It is an amazing city- one of my all time favorites. :)

Pausanias May 3rd, 2006 07:25 AM

Agree that three days is fine for Amsterdam.

I think you'll get a good feel for Germany in the time you've allotted.

I'd take two of the final nights in Amsterdam and spend them in Paris, maybe taking a daytrip. IMHO Paris will be the highlight of your trip.

Lily May 3rd, 2006 08:25 AM

Completely agree with Pausanias - take days from Amsterdam for Paris. Don't miss Paris.

Kristinelaine May 3rd, 2006 09:12 AM

Agree with the above posters. Paris is so much more interesting and beautiful than Amsterdam with so many things to see and do. After the first days in Amsterdam, save the last days for Paris, except for getting back to Amsterdam if you must fly home from there. I don't think you will be sorry.

Michel_Paris May 3rd, 2006 09:23 AM

Another vote for Paris. Been to Amsterdam 3 times, and I think 3 nights there is plenty enough to have seen all of the city, if you include countryside, then that's another story. You could easily take the 7 nights at the end and dedicate them to Paris. Easily fill those days.

trafaelwyr May 3rd, 2006 09:32 AM

I agree with the posters above, please don't skip Paris as you never know when you'll have the chance to go there again.

Gretchen May 3rd, 2006 09:41 AM

Don't skip Paris. Cut down the Amsterdam time.

suec1 May 3rd, 2006 09:47 AM

Sounds like you have a great trip planned....but if you could do an open jaw flight, into Amsterdam and then out of Paris, it would work even better. I love Amsterdam! and Paris! and the Rhine area. Of the different places you are going Germany is actually my least favorite. What is good about your itinerary is the variety - a mix of urban and country and Amsterdam and Paris are very different cities - and both very enjoyable. Have a great trip!

jayne1973 May 3rd, 2006 09:57 AM

Thanks for all your input -- Paris is definitely coming out on top! Flying "open jaw" just seems so expensive...any tips?

Christina May 3rd, 2006 11:37 AM

Why do you think an open jaw ticket is so expensive? What is the difference in price between that ticket on your dates, and a RT Amsterdam ticket on those dates plus adding in the time and money to get back to Amsterdam for the flight?

I just wondered if you had actual quotes or just assumed that, as I've never had one be more expensive than such an alternative (RT plus transportation back to another city from the endpoint where I could fly from).

Pausanias May 3rd, 2006 11:41 AM

Open jaw tickets are sometimes less expensive.

tcreath May 3rd, 2006 11:53 AM

Open jaws are usually the same or less expensive. Are you renting a car? If so, that is something to consider. Drop off changes in a country other than the one you picked up in can be very hefty.

I loved Paris and think it should definitely be included. And I agree that only 3 nights in Amsterdam would be sufficient. However, I also loved Germany. I thought I would vouch for it since nobody else has. The area around Berchtesgaden is simply stunning and our vacation there was one of our favorites. I would love to go back.

I think your trip overall, with the inclusion of Paris, will be fabulous!

Tracy

bardo1 May 3rd, 2006 11:57 AM

Paris CDG is one of the busiest airports in Europe and I suspect that an open jaw ticket in your case will be close to the same as a RT to Amsterdam.

jayne1973 May 4th, 2006 04:16 AM

I checked fares on ITA software and it would cost me about twice as much to fly open jaw. I can get round trips in and out of Amsterdam for roughly $850 per person; Paris was higher. To fly one-way would cost that much each way. I doubt if taking the train from Munich to Paris, as we planned, would cost enough to make up the difference, especially if we have a Flexipass.

jayne1973 May 4th, 2006 04:43 AM

Oops, I should have said the train fare from Paris to Amersterdam shouldn't be that expensive. I'll keep exploring options however, and also take your advice and maybe cut out some time in Amsterdam at the end of the trip and move that time to Paris.

bardo1 May 4th, 2006 04:53 AM

jayne,

What airport are you departing from? What are your dates?

Also, ITA doesn't allow open-jaw searches.

I did a travelocity multi-city search using Houston as the departure city.

Houston-AMS on 9/22 nonstop
CDG-Houston on 10/14 (stopover in Newark)

TOTAL price for this open jaw, including all taxes/fees is $821.

I can't imagine how you came up with more than twice this amount! Unless you live in Hawaii or priced two one-way flights (which is NOT an open jaw!!!).