Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Opera tickets and day trip to Reims

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Kathleen

My husband and I plan to be in Paris early March. Is it too late to buy Opera tickets? How do I purchase them in advance, or where is the best place to purchase them? Also, we are thinking of a day trip to Reims. My husband loves wine/champagne. Any recommendations on day/overnight trips to Burgandy?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Sue

Go to www.opera-de-paris.com I recently bought 4 ballet tix for early March, and they have arrived at my house. The site informs you of how much time you need for them to be sent to your home; otherwise, I think there's a way to pick them up at the opera.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:43 PM
c

Or try www.ticketavenue.com<BR>or call them, they will be very helpful.C

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Bob Brown

You can order tickets on line. I have not done this, but the process seems straight forward enough. <BR><BR>The web site requires a little knowledge of French to navigate because it is in my opinion very strangely laid out.<BR><BR>If the schedule I read is really what is going on, or not going on at the Opera Bastille, there are no performances on March 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.<BR>(I hope that is not the case, but I am looking at the schedule in another window as I write this, and there is no performance listed for those dates.)<BR>Macbeth is scheduled for March 7, 10 and 13. Nothing else in that time period is listed; the dates are blank. <BR>There is some ballet of which I never heard at the Opera Garnier, followed by Coppelia on March 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 and later in the month. <BR>Here is the web site address:<BR>http://www.opera-de-paris.fr/ <BR><BR>I hope this helps. Take a look and see if you get a different picture on the performances.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Sue

I've checked it out: you pay more of a fee for getting tix thru an agency rather than from the opera itself. I only had to pay a little over 2 euros per ticket from opera-de-paris.com.<BR>The ballet that is at the Garnier from end of Feb thru early March is Hurlevent, which is French for Wuthering Heights.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Fred

Go to: http://www.opera-de-paris.fr <BR>You can get both Opera and Ballet tickets from this site. Click in the center of the screen, click on "calendrier 2001-2002", click on the month you want. Opera Garnier will be on the left, Bastille on the right. Click on the one you want, then click on "reserver ce spectacle." The rest is self-explanatory. You'll have 5 minutes to complete the transaction - have your credit card ready. If you don't make it and it ends, just start over - you'll do better the 2nd time.<BR><BR>Go to: http://www.ticketavenue,com <BR><BR>Write or Fax the Agence Cheque Theatre - 33 rue le Petier - 75009 Paris.<BR>Tel 011-33-1-42-46-72-40. Fax: 011-33-1-48-00-93-93. Request a schedule. If you decide to attend, order the tickets through them - it's put on your charge card, they send you a voucher, and you pick up the tickets 30 minutes before curtain time at the desk marked "Agences" in the lobby. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Ron

Kathleen,<BR>Regarding Reims. It makes for a wonderful day trip,and so do do go go. I can't wait to go back. I just went in January. We left Paris a little after 8am and got to Reims about 9:40. We went to 2 champagne cellars. Mumm's and Veuve Cliquot. Mumms is always open to vistors. I had to reserve a visit through the Internet at Veuve Cliquot beforehand. Both were good, but I am so glad I asked about a tour via the Veuve Cliquot website. <BR>http://www.veuve-clicquot.fr/gb/menu.html<BR>The setting and people are truly classy and friendly. And many people say it's one of the best champagnes, if not the best. <BR><BR>I got a wonderful recommendation for lunch from this site, so I am passing it on. YOU MUST GO TO "LE VIGNERON" for lunch. But make sure you get the exact location from the tourist office. We wasted 30 minutes wondering around only to find it kind of in back of the cathedral. It was such a pity we had to rush through our best meal in France to keep our appointment at Veuve Cliquot. The restaurant staff were so accommodating to get us out the door, but even at that we still ended up getting to Veuve Cliquot 30 minutes late, but they still took us on a tour.<BR><BR>We ended up taking taxis as walking would be a waste of time, and the distances are quite far from one another.<BR><BR>We took a train back to Paris at 4:15 pm. We could have taken a later train and gone to one more champagne cellar. We had to catch a flight from Paris that night so didn't want to be late. If you are staying in Paris you won't be in such a rush, so enjoy the bubbly!!!!<BR><BR>Ron<BR> <BR><BR>Again, Le Vigneron and Veuve Cliquot. I will definitely go back.<BR><BR><BR>We walked from the station. It took a good 20 minutes. A taxi would have been better. From Mumms we went to see the cathedral. . svery good advice