Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris open or closed in August? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-open-or-closed-in-august-138058/)

Tom Kirke Jul 9th, 2001 02:31 PM

Paris open or closed in August?

We are spending three days and nights in Paris next month. I hear most of the Parisians vacation for the month. How many restaurants, shops and attractions are really closed for the month? Is it a mistake to travel to Paris in August?

elvira Jul 9th, 2001 02:37 PM

No attractions are closed. A few neighborhood shops (like bakeries and dry cleaners, for example) and restaurants are closed, but there are gazillions of restaurants still open, and many MANY stores (including the department stores). If you have your heart set on a certain restaurant, best to check to see if they are closed, but you won't starve in Paris and you'll still find lots of places to spend your money.

Andi Jul 9th, 2001 03:39 PM

I was in Paris two years ago in August, and I'm sorry I went then. All the museums and major attractions were open, and I didn't really have trouble finding places to eat. But a big part of travel is the street life, and there was none. The streets, except around the major tourist attractions, were practically deserted, so there was NO good people watching. On my flight home, an international Newsweek had an article about Paris in August and cited the statistic that 85% of all Parisians leave during August. I'd say if you want the "real" Paris, go some other time if you can.

Gussie Jul 9th, 2001 04:35 PM

What about early September? My parents are planning to go this fall (no tickets booked yet) and I have only been there in the second half of September which was a bit crowded but okay. I've suggested the first or second week of September as the waether should be decent but what about the crowds? Thanks!

Topper Jul 10th, 2001 04:37 AM

xxxx Jul 10th, 2001 05:28 AM

Shouldn't be as bad as the summer -- kids (tourists' and residents') should be back in school, so crowds may be lighter. <BR> <BR>Paris is always crowded -- I was there the first weekend in December and the line for the Louvre (the pyramid) was hours long (and I was there only an hour after it opened). The wait to get to the towers at Notre Dame is always an hour plus (I was there before it even opened for the day in December, and in the later morning in Sept and again in the afternoon in April). Some crowds you can't avoid... <BR> <BR>

TJ Jul 10th, 2001 06:12 AM

Early September is great. There's a real buzz in Paris during "la rentree," as the tourists leave and the residents take over their city again.

dan woodlief Jul 10th, 2001 08:28 AM

I have been there in late August to early September. Some things were closed but only small shops. I didn't notice a lack of locals actually, but it was right at the start of September. I saw kids at play in the parks, dog owners walking their pets, people shopping and going to work on the metro - all the streets scenes you could want.

SharonG Jul 10th, 2001 08:37 AM

I went the week before Christmas. Walked into the Louvre and saw Venus de Milo, Winged Victory and Mona Lisa in about 1/2 hour. No one there. Also went to Versailles. Walked right in and they held the tour (about 8 people) while I went to the bathroom!