Paris - one full day, and 2 half days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 2 weeks, we have a stop over in Paris, before going on to Italy. We will have 1 full days, and 2 half days (we arrive around noon, have the next ful day, and leave around 1pm the next day).

I know its not a lot of time, but there are just a few things we'd like to see:
1) Eiffel Tower
2) Notre Damn
3) Sacre Cour
4) Arc de Triomphe

We are staying in a hotel at the RER station in at the Jadin de Luxemborg, which I think is midway amoung these places.

I thought it would probably go like this:

Tuesday:
-Arrive at airport at 11, take RER to hotel, arrive perhaps at 2pm?
-Walk to Notre Dame to see it in the afternoon/evening.

Wednesday:
-Get up early, take bus/metro to Eiffel Tower. Will there be a huge line already if get there about 8am? Spend perhaps 3 hours at Eiffel Tower.
-Walk or take bus to Arc de Triomphe. Take stairs to top. Spend 2 hours?
-Bus/Metro to Sacre Cour (sp?). Is there also an underground city here as well? Spend 3-4 hours.
-Bus/Metro to Notre Dame to see in the daylight.
-Take metro back to see Eiffel Tower at night

Thursday:
-Pack up and head to airport on RER for 12:30 flight.

While the Louvre would be facinating, we'll save that for a another trip some time when we have a whole day or 2 just for it.

Too much? Wrong order?
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
yk

I don't think Arc de Triomphe will take 2 hours. Suggest you DO NOT walk from Eiffel Tower to the Arc de Triomphe. It's a very long walk.

If possible, try to take a evening Seine cruise.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM

I think that maybe you are allowing too much time for these sights. Sacre Cour and the Arc de Triomphe probably won't take nearly as long as you have planned. Unless you are in line to go up the Eiffel Tower, that too should go more quickly.

Maybe you ought to allow yourself a few extra sights. Like Napolean's Tomb at Invalides, on the way to the Eiffel Tower, and St Chapelle combined with Notre Dame. You can probably find something easy to combine with your visit to the Arc de Triomphe.

Even if you move slowly, you can see a bit more than you have planned.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Great.

Usually when people post a list of what they want to see in a few days, people respond telling them that they have planned too much, and that they should slow down and relax.

I guess that I'm being a bit too conservative.

I'll glance at the map with these new suggestions in mind, and then check the metro map so we can take advantage of the metro and save our feet from walking.

Of course we need to stop to eat during the day, so we'll want to stop to take time for that. I hear that eating in Paris is not a quick in and out deal like we in the US tend to do so often, so we'll want to plan for some extra time.

Does anyone have some specific suggestions for where to eat lunch and dinner while we are out?
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM

I highly recommend St. Chappelle - it is like being inside of a ruby. Definitely combine it with your trip to Notre Dame.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM

attnymom: what a beautiful-and correct-description!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM

When you visit Sacre Coeur, walk the couple of blocks to the Place de Tetre (sp). Most of the impressionists painted in the square. Lots of restaurants to have a bite to eat. Visit "Le Glaze du Mont" for the 2nd best ice cream in Paris.

Go to Sacre Coeur early and watch the sunrise or go at sunset. Either way, Paris is at your feet and breathtaking.

Walk across the bridge from Notre Dame to the Ile St. Louis, for the best ice cream in Paris - Bertihillon (sp). Or, walk along the Rue de Rivoli across from the Louvre and have hot chocolate and a "Mont Blanc" at Angelina.

I to think you are allowing over much time in each place. The Eiffel Tower - if you are going to the top - will take the most time.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM

I don't think the Eiffel Tower will take 3 hours at that time of day, but I'm not sure. I agree the Arc alone wno't take 2 hours, but you could easily spend that time in the general area, I suppose. NOw I think you could spend 3 hours at Sacre Coeur if that means the entire Montmartre area around Sacre Coeur. I quite liked the Montmartre museum, for example, and walking around a few streets nearby is interesting. But the church alone won't take 3 hours.

There is no underground city anywhere in Paris, not sure what you are thinking of. There is nothing like in Montreal, if that's what you mean.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Another vote for St. Chappelle...it's gorgeous.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, again, jdan,

we spent a day in Paris with our kids during a transport strike, so we had to walk or use the water buses but we still managed to see most of what you want to see in one day.

starting at the eiffel tower [we had to walk there from etoile aka arc de triomphe but you won't have to] tour the tower [optional - les invalides].

catch a bateau mouche down the seine to notre dame. [st. chappelle optional] walk through the tuilleries past the louvre and up the champs elysee to the arc.

depending on your timings you might squeeze the louvre itself into this, but I doubt it especially if you stop for a decent lunch along the way.

you could see sacre cour the afternoon you arrive, or before you leave. my preference for the day you get there would be a wander around the marais - go to the Beaubourg and walk east. or cross over to the left bank and explore the luxembourg gardens, and the pantheon, etc.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Tell me more about the bateau mouche. I've found their web site, or at least the one for the "official" bateau mouche. It looks like this term may also refer to other companies that cruise the Seine as well.

From the description of the official bateau mouche (at http://www.bateaux-mouches.fr/lang-pref/en/), it looks like the "station" is just south of the Eiffel tower (on the Seine).

But it is unclear to me, whether you can get off at the other end near Notre Dame, or whether it returns to the start point.

I don't think that we want to return, but we want to use it as a means of transportation from Eiffel to Notre Dame, rather than use it only as an "excursion" activity.

Can you clarify your understanding of how it works?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 08:15 AM

I would walk from the Eiffel Tower to the Arc passing thru the Palais de Chaillot and Trocadero gardens . To save time at the arc take the elevator instead of the stairs!
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:20 AM

I wouldn't go up in the Tower with that amount of time. Nor to the top of the ARc.
You really don't have any time the last day, by the time you need to get to the airport, and out of the hotel. Just an opinion.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:02 PM

On my first visit to Paris, I asked a local (friend) which attraction he would absolutely recommend above all others, and his answer was St. Chappelle. It wasn't on my radar at that point, but I went and was overwhelmed and stunned at the beauty and craftsmanship.

If you can plan it, try to go on an overcast day, so the bright sunlight does not overpower the art.

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM

bookmarking
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting advice above about Sainte Chapelle. I agree that it is a top sight in Paris. Usually the advice is to go when the sun is shining so the windows are seen in the best light and so that the light radiates through the space. I have been there on an overcast day and it is still wonderful, but it is not as impressive as it is when it is sunny. It is my feeling that the bright sunlight does not overpower the art when the art is the stained glass and the light it casts inside.

I guess the best way to decide is to go twice.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 04:30 PM

On 9 trips to Paris, Ste. Chappelle is the one site I visit on every trip. While it is always breathtaking, I definitely recommend seeing it on a sunny day at a time when the sun shines through the windows. If you are visiting in May or September, another wonderful experience is to go to an evening concert so that the late sun shines through the glass and you see the change in the windows as the sun sets. Exquisite!
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 04:40 PM

The late sun for a concert would have to be summer, I'd think. But a concert is a GREAT idea.
But also bring a pair of opera glasses for Ste. Chappelle for an extra look. It's great.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 07:22 AM

How much do you like to walk? Here are two possible itinearies:

Walk A lot:

Tuesday - check into hotel, take a stroll through the 5th (the Latin Quarter). Start by walkingby (but don't bother going into) the Pantheon (the small church just behind the Pantheon is worth 10 minutes as well). And then if your sense of direction is decent, just stroll, generally turning left, and when you end up at the Seine, walk towards Notre Dame.

If your sense of direction is less confident, bring a map

Admire Notre Dame (but don't go in yet), stroll along the Seine as the sun sets (don't miss this!), and have an early dinner somewhere around here.

Wed - Take the Metro (RER C from St Michel to Pont de l'Alma, or Metro Line 10 from Cluny to La Motte Picquet, then either get off here and walk or switch to Line 6 and get off at Bir-Hakeim). Hopefully, not much of a line at the Eiffel Tower.Go up, enjoy the view. Walk across the Seine and get on Metro Line 6 at Trocadero. Get off at Charles de Gaulle Etoile. Go up Arc di Triophme. Then walk down the Champs Elysee towards the Louvre. Its about 3 miles from the Arc di Triophme to Notre Dame, but Metro Line 1 runs along the whole stretch, so you can jump on if you get tired (but get off at Louvre Rivoli and at least take a look at the courtyard of the Louvre). Have lunch somewhere during this walk.

In the afternoon, see Notre Dame & Saint Chapelle. Then get on Metro Line 4 (at Cite, to Barbes Rochechouart) and either get off or switch to Line 2 and go to Anvers). See Sacre Coure in the afternoon light, wander around Montemarte
a bit. Then have dinner. Depending on where you have dinner, an evening stroll along the Seine or a walk out to see Notre Dame lit up a night might be nice.

Thurs - Get up, take a short morning stroll in the Luxembourg Gardens, pack, go to airport.

Not So Much Walking:

Tuesday - check into hotel, walk up blvd St Michel to Notre Dame. Admire Notre Dame (but don't go in yet). Walk along the Seine for a few blocks, maybe walk over to Berthillon (on the Ile St Louis) and have ice cream. Sit in the park
near Notre Dame and people watch.

Wed - Take Metro to Eiffel Tower (see above). Take the Batobus (which is the water bus - not the Beaux Mouche, which is a tour company and won't let you get off) from Pont de l'Alma to Notre Dame. See Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle. Walk across the Seine to the Right Bank, turn left, and walk up to the first courtyard of the Louvre. Get on Metro Line 1 at Louvre Rivoli (or Palais Royal if you want to walk a bit further). Ride to Charles de Gaulle Etoile. Admire Arc di Triomphe. Take Metro Line 2 to Anvers, see Montemarte. Walk around.

Thurs - Morning stroll in Luxembourg Gardesn, pack, airport.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi jdan,

msackton has it right i think - the Batobus is the one you want which allows you to get off at about 4 stops, I think, like a hop-on/hop-off bus. the bateau mouche are excursions - no getting on and off.

the boarding station on the same side of the river as the eiffel tower so you should have no problems finding it.

two things- i would NOT walk between the arc and the eiffel tower volunarily if i only had two days in Paris [we only did it cos there was no choice] as it takes up far too much of your precious time but I WOULD go up the tower unless the lines were impossible.

the views are terrific and it's a great experience. When my DH worked in Paris many years ago I was rather sniffy about it and we never went, but our kids insisted and I was soooo glad they did. sometimes there's a reason why things are tourist traps, and with the eiffel tower it's because it's so much fun!

hope this helps,

regards, ann

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -