Paris on New Year's Day?

Search

Paris on New Year's Day?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris on New Year's Day?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Great tips and advice.

My husband and I have just booked a New Year's trip to Paris. This is my husband's first time but I have been several times before (although not since I was a poor, poor grad student). Does anyone have any idea of what attractions will be open on New Year's Day? Also, since Jan 1 falls on a Sunday in 2006, will some museums still offer free admission?

And lastly, if there is no way of knowing now, when can I find out? These answers will determine the length of Museum Pass we will purchase.

Many thanks,
Eva
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Many places are closed on New Year's Day, including offices, banks, and most stores, but restaurants and cinemas are often open, as are many museums.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:46 PM

The only thing I'd really bet on is the Eiffel Tower being open. Probably the Bateaux Mouches if they are running at that time of year, as they are a tourist attraction. I thought virtually all museums were closed on Jan. 1st, not that many were open, and that Jan 1st was one of the most likely holidays of the year for museums to be closed (in addition to Christmas and May 1st), but I might be out of date on that if Anthony says many are open.

I am just speculating, but I'd be willing to bet that any museum that normally is free on 1st Sunday of the month, and opens on Jan 1st, will be free. The govt. has made the national attractions free on certain holiday exception openings when I've been there, and that wasn't even a day they were supposed to be free (Bastille Day).

The main ones I know that are free on 1st Sunday are Louvre, Cluny and Pompidou. However, if they are open on that holiday and free, you can bet they will be absolutely packed.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:48 PM

oh, I wouldn't buy a museum card ahead of time, there is no reason to get it before you arrive in Paris. Maybe then you can find out more (although sometimes that special holiday information isn't easy to find out). Generally, it seems that the major museums post on their websites about holiday openings a couple months in advance.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM

We were in Paris on Christmas one year. It was fun to go to Notre-Dame (which I assume woul be open on New Year's) and the Jewish quarter. There were walks to take, Montmartre, etc. Unfortunately, rain was our problem that day and finding a place to eat dinner. We ended up in a hotel restaurant.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM

My friend and I were in Paris this past New Year's and spent most of that afternoon at the modern art museum at the Pompidou Centre.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

We weren't planning on buying the pass until we got to Paris- just thinking about how to schedule our time (too short!) and budget.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going to plan on nothing being open and will be thrilled if something is when the schedules come out this fall.

Thanks!