Flight Insurance -British Airways

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just booked a flight on British Airways to Europe. November 5-11. I was offered their insurance. Should I take it. Insurance is $39.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:24 PM

Most likely, yes. You do want to know the following though.
Does the insurance allow you to cancel for any reason; or is it only good for sickness, etc.
Also, do you receive an actual cash refund, or is it a credit good for future travel.

Just curious, is the insurance offered by BA directly, their vacation department, or another tour operator?

(As you are traveling fairly soon, you have a pretty good idea if you're plans are "in the air" or set in concrete. But given the strict cancellation policies in place, $39 is really a drop in the bucket) Alot depends on your travel history. Do you take 90% or more of your planned trips; any health reasons that might affect you not going or of someone you know that might prevent you from going? Overall, I would suggest doing it if they allow cancellation for any reason. If they limit it, then look closely at how you might be best served.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:25 PM

What does the insurance cover?
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Peter Greenberg says never to buy travel insurance from the same company that you're buying the cruise, air, etc. from.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 08:05 PM

Daph, I would normally agree (i.e. the recent bankruptcy of Far & Wide), however, it should be looked at on a case by case basis. In this case, BA? Not likely to file any time soon. Even withstanding other reasons for not using them, the majority of the time you would most likely be ok with them (BA that is).
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 12:46 AM

British Airways Has teamed up with the USA Company AIG Offering Flight & And trip insurance You do it thru there Website Also for the trip insurance they let you pick the Dollar amount of coverage It is not a bad deal if you book your trip way in advance .
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Intrepid

i would also ask "what does it cover?" as was mentioned above...is this "accident" insurance or coverage for a missed or cancelled flight?
If the latter, airlines are required, by law, to offer varying degrees of "compensation" and if this is insurance against the trip having to be cancelled because of some airline difficulty, etc., and you paid with a credit card you automatically have "insurance" in terms of "goods and services" not received.