Help Me with this Planning

Old Apr 1st, 2018, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me with this Planning

Hello everyone. I made another post in the past about my Europe trip, but I was too general and it gave a tough time for others to help (sorry about that). Anyways now let me try to be A LOT more specific to get some good advice from you people. So. I am a 17 male from Los angeles (LA is amazing I hope you guys come visit one day). My Father and I wanted to take a 10 day trip June 8-18 to Europe. I have family in a few places like London and Germany. I love hiking, national parks, and know a lot about European history. Also food should be a main factor in deciding where to go. While I do want to see the main tourist attractions like Paris,Berlin, etc (because who doesn’t), I also want to visit some ethnic towns that are true to the roots of the country and undisturbed from chain restaurants and places like starbucks and mcdonalds. The main place I want to see is Germany. My dad lived near Stuttgart in the 80’s and loved it! I love sausages and a lot of other german porky-goodness foods. I have heard others say that german food is bland which I hope is not true. Anyways, the food, history, castles, and main attractions are why I really want to visit germany. Anyone know any ethnic german towns? I was hoping to make this my trip: Spend 3 days in Germany,1-2 Days in France, 1-2 days in Italy, 1-2 days in England/Dublin. Let me know what cities i should visit in those countries and any good museums like the Louvree, fun things to do, or places to eat. Or should i spend the 10 days in the UK and visit England, Scotland, Ireland? Please help me out people. I will be on kind of a budget during the trip, but I will have a decent amount of money to spend, in other words I won’t have to eat mcdonalds everyday and can eat at restaurants. Although high class or expensive things are off the table. Please come up with a good trip for me. Thank you. As a bonus, most people had trouble with the last thread because they did not know my tastes, I am not a picky eater I just do not like seafood and as for activities I like doing everything.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 05:43 PM

You say you want to "Spend 3 days in Germany,1-2 Days in France, 1-2 days in Italy, 1-2 days in England/Dublin." This is a really bad idea. 1-2 days or a whole country? 1-2 days for a city really isn't enough. You need to prioritize. In 10 days, expect that you can visit two cities, perhaps with a day trip or two as a bonus. But the more places you visit, the less time you have to see/do/experience. Each time you change locations, you lose a day to the transition. So choose two cities. From there, you can decide what else else interests you. As with most first-time travelers, you want to do more than is possible or advisable.

Note that you likely have less time than you think you do. Your trip is from June 8 -18. If you leave LA on June 8, you will arrive in Europe on.June 9. You have to figure in your travel time. So count how many nights you will be in Europe - it will make how much time you really have clearer. If you have 8 nights in Europe, you have 7 full days.

I don't want to throw cold water on your plans, but you have a lot to learn about travel. We are glad to help.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie
You say you want to "Spend 3 days in Germany,1-2 Days in France, 1-2 days in Italy, 1-2 days in England/Dublin." This is a really bad idea. 1-2 days or a whole country? 1-2 days for a city really isn't enough. You need to prioritize. In 10 days, expect that you can visit two cities, perhaps with a day trip or two as a bonus. But the more places you visit, the less time you have to see/do/experience. Each time you change locations, you lose a day to the transition. So choose two cities. From there, you can decide what else else interests you. As with most first-time travelers, you want to do more than is possible or advisable.

Note that you likely have less time than you think you do. Your trip is from June 8 -18. If you leave LA on June 8, you will arrive in Europe on.June 9. You have to figure in your travel time. So count how many nights you will be in Europe - it will make how much time you really have clearer. If you have 8 nights in Europe, you have 7 full days.

I don't want to throw cold water on your plans, but you have a lot to learn about travel. We are glad to help.

Thank you for your advice. I now realize what I said is ridiculous. Would it be possible to spend 10 days in a country or is that still not enough time? If not, are there any particular cities i should visit?
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 05:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Spend 3 days in Germany,1-2 Days in France, 1-2 days in Italy, 1-2 days in England/Dublin. Let me know what cities i should visit in those countries and any good museums like the Louvree, fun things to do, or places to eat. Or should i spend the 10 days in the UK and visit England, Scotland, Ireland? <<

With your very short time and your wish list/father's connections, I'd spend it ALL in Germany or ALL in London with maybe a couple of days in Edinburgh.

You need to account for travel time - not just the 2.5 days to/from Europe, but also .5 to 1 full day every time you change locations.
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 06:00 PM

We were posting at the same time . . . Something like I suggested - ALL in Germany or ALL in London/Edinburgh
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't traveled much in Germany--just very briefly when I was only a bit older than you. However, I would think that given your interests you and your father could have a great trip just in Germany.

Here's Fodor's 10-day intro to Germany itinerary (I have no idea if this is good or not; in any case you would need to cut something to fit your time allotment):
https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/...rary-222188510

Here are some Germany planning threads for trips around 8-10 days:

Ideal first time trip to Germany-8-10 days --suggestions

need suggested itinerary for Germany

NEED ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS FOR 10 DAY TRIP TO GERMANY
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 06:41 PM

Yes, you certainly could choose to spend all of your time in one country. Again, you don't want to have a series of one or two-nights stays in various cities - give yourself enough time in each place to get a flavor for it.

I think you have the right idea now. Now you just need to decide where you want to go. Happy planning!
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 09:46 PM

Even if you have a full 10 days on the ground, which it doesn't seem as though you have, it will fly by. The first couple of days will likely be a blur of jetlag and getting accustomed to new surroundings, new language, new customs, new currency - in fact, the entire 10 days could well be like that. Do you speak any German? That would help a lot.

As for "ethnic towns," you'll have to give a clearer explanation of that. The entire country is "ethnic," though of course populations, scenery, traditions, language, etc., vary from region to region. You'll need to describe more specifically what you are looking for.

I would spend the entire trip in Germany. Realistically, even that would just give you a taste of the country.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 08:28 AM

Tell me where exactly your dad lived and/or was stationed near Stuttgart. I am a native of this region and could give you good hints. As far as Stuttgart is concerned 23 percent of its inhabitants don't have a German passport (i.e. they aren't German citizens), 40 percent have a migratory background. So Stuttgart is an international city with lots of ethnic restaurants. I guess there are more of these than restaurants with German or Swabian cuisine. What you have heard about German food is a stereotype from the postwar era. By the way the majority of the people living in the German state of Baden-Württemberg are called Swabians.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 09:16 AM

I understand perfectly well what he means by ethnic towns, he explained it. It would thus have to be smaller towns without a lot of international commerce. Most small towns still don't have Starbucks/McDonalds in them in Europe, but that's a function of size more than anything, seems to me. Those chains won't locate in small villages.

I think he needs a small town, that's all. I don't know Germany well enough to propose one and the schedules isn't known yet anyway, so hard to say at this point. ONce the main locations are picked out, I think someone could suggest better a smaller town to visit on a day trip or something.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 12:12 PM

Maybe spend time in Germany and London where you have family - and take high-speed trains between - London is but 5h 22 minutes from Cologne via high-speed train to Brussels and Eurostar train that goes under The Channel to London. See Cologne's great Gothic cathedral which is right next to Cologne's main railway station. Book early for huge discounts over full fare- www.bahn.de/en and or www.eurostar.com. See www.seat61.com for sage advice on getting discounted train tickets -general info like where to go by train www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts (especially their European Rail & Planning Guide with rail itineraries in Germany and other countries.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

10 Day Itinerary

I am a 17 year old male from Los angeles. My Father and I wanted to take a 10 day trip June 8-18 to Europe. I have family in a few places like London and Germany. I love hiking, national parks, food, and know a lot about European history. Also food should be one of the main factors in deciding where to go. While I do want to see the main tourist attractions like the Eiffel Tower, Reichstag, and Colosseum, I also want to visit some ethnic towns that are true to the roots of the country and undisturbed from chain restaurants and places like starbucks and mcdonalds. For example, Going to a real italian restaurant and not some overpriced, not as good tourist place in Rome. The main place I want to see is Germany. My dad lived near Stuttgart in (Schwabisch-Hall) in the 80’s and loved it! I love sausages and a lot of other german porky-goodness foods. I have heard others say that german food is bland which I hope is not true. Anyways, the food, history, castles, and main attractions are why I really want to visit germany. Anyone know any ethnic german towns? Please help me out people. I will be on kind of a budget during the trip, but I will have a decent amount of money to spend, in other words I won’t have to eat mcdonalds everyday and can eat at restaurants. Although high class or expensive things are off the table. Please come up with a good trip for me. Thank you. As a bonus, most people had trouble with the last thread because they did not know my tastes, I am not a picky eater I just do not like seafood and as for activities I like doing everything. Also I was wondering if I can visit multiple countries like spending a couple days in Germany, a couple in France, and a couple in England. If not, What country should I spend my 10 days in; UK, France, or Germany? Either way I really want to see the Eiffel Tower. Please help me.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:16 PM

Any reason you started a new thread --there is a long discussion on your other one. Help Me with this Planning
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 10:18 PM
kja

Have you checked the answers you received on your other posts? I believe you have already received some excellent advice that with 10 days, you can plan on only 2, or at most 3, specific locations – and that the further they are from each other, the more time and money you will spend traveling rather than seeing anything. If the Eiffel Tower is a MUST, then Paris will be ONE of your locations, so you will be able to meaningfully visit at most one or two other locations, preferably ones that can be reached easily from Paris.

Perhaps you are not aware that we are not a travel planning service? Even if we were, you need to do your own research and come up with the 2 or 3 locations you MOST want to visit. Get yourself a good guidebook or two, or consult some at your local library.

Good luck!
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 11:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it would be nice if you comment on the advice we have already given you
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
it would be nice if you comment on the advice we have already given you

I am sorry about that. It is just that Fodor only lets me post 2 times per day and I tried to respond to people so many times yesterday and it wouldn’t let me. This will be my last post until I am allowed to post tomorrow
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:11 AM

You have to some time narrow down your choices into a tentative 10-day itinerary and then ask questions.

Like land in Berlin
take train or fly to
Munich and area
train to Paris fly out there

Train info - www.bahn.de/en - book any trains involving Germany yourselves on that site- www.seat61.com has loads on that; general info trains and where to go by them: BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

You have no time to visit Germany, France and U.K. - 10 days - 3 days travel - 7 days -

would be: Germany - 3 nights
Paris 3 nights
London 3 nights

and a day lost traveling between them
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:17 AM

PQ: Post to hos OTHER thread -- that is where the full discussion is.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 09:40 AM

What about a focus on Bavaria in Germany:

June 8th: Leave Los Angeles
June 9th: Land in Munich. Sleep in Munich.
June 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th: Explore Garmisch Partenkirchen (small towns, outdoors activity, castles of King Ludwig)
June 14th: Fly out (one way) from Munich or Insbruck or Salzburg to London (could be Paris, could be Rome etc...) check skyscanner.com
June 15th, 16th, 17th: in the city of your choice
June 18th: fly back to LA

Remember openjaw ticket (USA to Europe and back). In Europe you can buy cheap one way tickets between cities. When I was traveling as a student, we just bought food at the grocery store, we did not eat out at the restaurant. But it sounds like trying German food is important, so eating lunch in a restaurant is usually cheaper than dinner.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 10:25 AM

And beer hall chow can be so so tasty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -