Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris, Normandy, Brittany, and Chateaux Country...Plus Shopping in Paris!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow Fodorites! I’ve just joined Fodor’s Travel Talk, and have found all of your posts to be very helpful and fun to read. This summer, I plan to take my 13 year old daughter to France with this trip from Globus to Paris, Normandy, Brittany, and the Loire Valley. I’ve never been to France myself, so I thought a tour would be a nice way to travel for a first time trip for both of us. Here I’ve included an overview and itinerary directly from the Globus website.

This nine-day trip is the perfect way to see the highlights of Paris plus the World War II Normandy landing beaches, Brittany, and the Loire Valley in a short amount of time. In Paris, enjoy guided sightseeing, a Seine cruise, and a visit to the second floor of the Eiffel Tower. An optional excursion to the Palace and Gardens of Versailles is available. World War II comes alive at the fascinating Memorial Museum for Peace and the Normandy American Cemetery. Next are Queen Mathilda’s Tapestry in Bayeux and the famous Abbey of Mont St. Michel. Then via Brittany into the Loire Valley, where a special “châteaux day” has been included: visit the jewel of the French Renaissance, Château Chambord; Catherine de Medici’s lovely Chenonceaux; and Clos Lucé to admire Leonardo da Vinci’s inventions. To top it off you’ll explore Chartres’ Cathedral and, back in Paris, a guided visit to the Louvre Museum has been included.

Day 1 (Fri.) Board your overnight transatlantic flight.
Day 2 Arrival in Paris, France. (Sat.) The day is free to rest or to start exploring the splendid French capital. At 4 p.m. meet your traveling companions for a welcome drink hosted by your Tour Director.
Day 3 Paris. (Sun.) Sightseeing with a Local Guide features the Arc de Triomphe, Opéra, Madeleine, Louvre, Champs-Elysées. Enjoy a SEINE CRUISE to take pictures of Notre Dame Cathedral and for a panoramic view. Take the elevator to the second floor of the EIFFEL TOWER. Balance of the day at leisure and lots to do. An optional excursion to Versailles Palace and gardens, and exciting evening outings are available (BB)
Day 4 Paris-Rouen-Caen. (Mon.) A pleasant morning drive takes you to historic Rouen in the lower valley of the River Seine. Time here for a leisurely stroll along the lovely cobbled Rue du Gros-Horloge leading from the cathedral to the square where Joan of Arc was burned in 1431. From Rouen continue to Caen and look forward to the highlight of the day, a visit to the fascinating MEMORIAL MUSEUM FOR PEACE. Its great exhibits and audiovisual show focus on the Battle of Normandy. (BB,D)
Day 5 Caen-Normandy Beaches-Bayeux-Mont St. Michel. (Tue.) Drive to the scene of the Allied Forces’ landing on D-Day, June 6, 1944. Visit the NORMANDY AMERICAN CEMETERY and see the Rangers Memorial at Point du Hoc. Then to Bayeux where you admire QUEEN MATILDA’S TAPESTRY, depicting in extraordinary detail William the Conqueror’s conquest of England. In the afternoon visit the famous ABBEY OF MONT ST. MICHEL, perched on a rocky isle in the Gulf of Saint Malo. Overnight on the coast near Mont St. Michel. (BB,D)
Day 6 Mont St. Michel-Blois. (Wed.) Enjoy a scenic ride right across Brittany to Angers. Stop here for pictures of an impressive 13th-century castle. Continue your journey eastward to Saumur, known for its cavalry school and a great sparkling wine. Then on to Blois where you will stay for the next two nights. (BB,D)
Day 7 Blois. Châteaux Country Excursion. (Thu.) A rich day of sightseeing. Visit the jewel of the French Renaissance, Château CHAMBORD, and the 16th-century château of Catherine de Medici, lovely CHENONCEAU. On to Amboise. Visit CLOS LUCÉ and marvel at an amazing collection of models of Leonardo da Vinci’s inventions, painstakingly reconstructed from the drawings of the great Renaissance genius. Tonight is your chance to sample French cuisine at one of the area’s excellent bistros. (BB)
Day 8 Blois-Chartres-Paris. (Fri.) This morning visit Chartres with its superb 13th-century GOTHIC CATHEDRAL—a jewel of medieval architecture. Continue to Paris where a guided visit to the LOUVRE MUSEUM has been included. Tonight, a lively cabaret show might be a good idea to make your last night in France an unforgettable experience. (BB)
Day 9 (Sat.) Your homebound flight arrives the same day. (BB)

Personally, we both loved this trip because it looked very fascinating, educational, fun, and full of wonderful new experiences. What do you personally think of this trip? Has anyone here ever traveled with Globus, and if so, how was your trip? Would you recommend this trip to us? Etc, etc…I’d like to know your opinions and thoughts. 

I also would like to tack on another day or so early or after the trips ends for leisure time in Paris. I was thinking this could possibly be a shopping day, since we both love shopping! Oh yes, my daughter wanted me to add on this post what she wanted to buy while there.

Soap
Scarf/Pashmina (Real or Fake)
Postcards (Old and New)
Tote/Handbag
Wallet/Coin Purse
Chocolate

Where do you find this kind of stuff in Paris? (Be specific- streets (rues), stores, endorsements, etc.) Do you know what the prices for these inexpensive items are? (Keep in mind, the prices for these items which can vary in price should be relatively inexpensive ones, no very expensive or high priced items please!) My daughter has a very sophisticated, classy, and chic sense of style if needed for any type of reference. Any other shopping tips or ideas for us?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add - what are some stores you recommend my daughter and I to visit in Paris?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM

That all depends on what you want to buy--please elaborate.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:16 PM
tod

This is a lovely trip Loira and I'm sure you are going to have a fun-filled 9 days.
I did notice however that your tour says you will be 'stopping for pictures' of the 13th Century Chateau.
Well, it's treasure is inside - the longest (103m) and one of the finest medieval tapestries in the world telling the story of the Apocalypse.
Surely, they are not going to let you miss that!
The chateau itself built by Louis 1X was altered by Henry 111 in 1585 when he removed the 98ft high "pepperpot" shaped towers so they are now all the same height as the walls.

Your shopping list for Paris will be easy. There are plenty of shops dotted all over Paris selling chocolates exclusively. Old & new postcards can be bought as you wander along the Seine at 'Les Bouquinistes' - the bookstalls on the river banks. They are a treasure trove of second-hand books, prints & postcards.

I suggest you head up to Sacre-Coeur on your arrival in Paris before meeting your Tour Director at 4pm. Do wander around the Place du Tetre even stopping for lunch at one of the numerous cafes.

There is an "Angel" shop (La Boutique des Anges) at 2, rue Yvonne Le Tac. If you take the metro to Abbesses you have to pass it on the way to the Basilica Sacre-Coeur. It will have soaps, CD's & everything else all to do with angels!
Something quite out of the ordinary!

Lastly, I got the most lovely wallet/coin purse combination right on Gare de Nord station. Wish I had bought more than one!
Have a really great trip.
Tod
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Soap-
Everywhere, pharmacies, shops, Galleries Lafayette, small boutiques, shops that just sell soap, you will have too many choices. * on rue Grenelle, near rue Cler, a great shop that sells Pre de Provence products..I love the Green Tea bath mousse*

Scarf/Pashmina (Real or Fake)
Scarves sell in every shop all over Paris. From really good ones in designer boutiques to Galleries Lafayette, Bon Marche and small boutiques that you will just happen upon.

Postcards (Old and New)
Along the Seine, on the weekends, old men selling them by the dozens.

Tote/Handbag
Everywhere, handbags are so easy to shop for, designers are in the boutiques, the deparment stores and in small shops. There is one on rue St Louis en Ille, along the small streets that lead to the Luxembourg Gardens, in the 7th on rue St Dominique.

Wallet/Coin Purse -
Same as the handbags, and along the Seine and in the flea markets , Paris is Shopping heaven, you can find everything everywhere in Paris.
Chocolate
Same answer, there is chocolate sold all over Paris..Laduree, Pierre Herme, rue Cler, La Notre..just walk everywhere and look in windows and you will find what you want and more.
Happy shopping!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:28 PM

Also-I suggest you get Suzy Gershman's <u>Born to Shop Paris, 9th Edition ...</u>