Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris, Normandy and Versailles - a few questions, private tour info...

Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:

I am looking for a recommended private tour company to take our family of 4 around Paris, Normandy and Versailles. We will be in Paris itself for at least 5 days but wanted to start with a really good overview, plus my mother-in-law cannot tolerate much walking at all.

Not sure on time in the other locales. My husband wants to see Normandy and my Mother-in-law wants to see Versailles and I'm wondering how much time to allot in those 2 locations. . Using a private tour, can they be seen in one day or is 2 better? My hubby wants to be in Normandy on June 6 but beyond that we're not sure of the dates or what to see in each place.

any recommendations?

thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:30 AM

In 2004 my 14 yr old son and I went on a one day tour in Normandy with www.battlebus.fr and enjoyed the tour and guide very much. They have several different tours including a variety of WWII sites. You can also choose to go on a two day tour.

Seeing the sites with a guide who pointed out small details along the way was much more worthwhile than viewing the towns and sites on our own. Our guide was a bit of a pied piper because even though he was very low key and spoke softly, before long we had a number of "extra" tourists walking with us to hear his tales. We had free time at most sites as well.

The tours are done in 8 passenger vans. Our guide told us what time the van would depart at each stop and to be back to the van before departure time because he would not wait for stragglers. The message was given nicely, not as a threat but as a reminder that everyone deserved the trip they paid for and expected.

A man on our tour didn't show at departure time from the American cemetary, we waited a couple additional minutes and left without him. I was happy the policy was stated clearly and the guide followed through so the rest of us could see all that we were promised. Our guide called someone at the company so the next van to the cemetary could look for the lost guy.

Part of our tour was a visit to the remains of the temporary harbor at Arromanche. The harbor was secretly built in a number of places with few people knowing what they were actually working on or where it was going. Piece by piece the harbor was delivered and was open for business 3 days after D Day. While there is little left of the harbor, there is a small museum at Arromanche with pictures, artifacts and a replica of the harbor. We would have missed this site if we'd been touring on our own.

According to Wikipedia info "A complete Mulberry harbour was constructed out of 600,000 tons of concrete between 33 jetties, and had 10 miles (15 km) of floating roadways to land men and vehicles on the beach. Port Winston is commonly upheld as one of the best examples of military engineering.

In the 10 months after D-Day, it was used to land over 2.5 million men, 500,000 vehicles, and 4 million tonnes of supplies providing much needed reinforcements in France."
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM

I would give Versailles a full day since there is a lot to see, including the gardens and Petit Trianon. There are electric vehicles for your mother which she should definitely use if she cannot walk very long or far. And there's a little train to take you through the grounds. Get to the chateau first thing to ensure you can get an electric vehicle.

http://en.chateauversailles.fr/suppo...or-your-visits

I don't think you'd need a private tour for Versailles as their audios and docent-led tours are very good. You would need a taxi to the RER station in Paris and one from the RER station in Versailles to the chateau for your mother as it's about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the train station.

I second at least a full day tour for the D Day beaches.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM

For "less than private tours" of Paris, Cityrama and Parisvision have coach tours of the city as well as combos (city + Seine).

A Seine cruise is something I would highly recommend, especially after sunset. Vedettes du Pont Neuf is one I can recommend.

Versailles would be a full day if you are exploring beyond the Chateau.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM

Forgot to say, Versailles is a day trip from Paris, only 30 minutes by car. There is an audioguide at the Palace as well as "commented" tours in English. I thought the audioguide was fine because you can listen to as much or as little info as you want by pushing the number assigned to each room in the palace. http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage You can take a ride around the gardens but I'm drawing a blank as to whether thats a motorized vehicle or horse drawn.

I"ve always taken the train to Versailles then walked to the palace but if walking is an issue you can likely take a taxi all the way to Versaille from Paris. I know there are experts on the forum who can help you with that.

IMO, Normandy is NOT a day trip from Paris although some people do it that way. There are tour companies that run day trips from Paris. According to google maps the drive from Paris to Bayeux (where Battlebus begin their tours)is 262k and roughly 2hrs 44 mins one way. Nearly six hours in a car would make me too grumpy to care about even more driving to get from site to site. I would stay at least one night in Bayeux to see the WWII sights and the town of Bayeux.

As for visiting Normandy on June 6- as the 66th anniversary of DDay it may or may not be crazy crowded that weekend. Its not one of those "biggie" anniversaries like the 50th or 60th and many of the men and women who were involved with DDay have passed or are unable to make the trip now. I bet someone on this forum can give you an idea of what it will be like.

Hotel rates may be increased for an increase in demand that weekend(or there may be a require minimum nights stay), dense traffic and crowds of people. I've never been on that day so no personal experience with that but I'd plan that part early if you really want to go that particular day of the year.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM

There are a couple tidbits of info you might find useful in this thread about the little train at the Palace of Versailles and also about getting taxis in Versailles.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...lles-paris.cfm
Oops.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM

If by "Normandy" you mean the Normandy beaches, and just the American half, then you can tour that tiny corner of Normandy in one day. But travelling to and from Paris on the same day would require a VERY early start and late return.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM

Versailles is going to be very tough for your MIL if she can't do much walking. Lots of stairs.