Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Nord to MO St. Paul (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-nord-to-mo-st-paul-648999/)

jayne1973 Sep 25th, 2006 08:02 PM

Paris Nord to MO St. Paul

Paris experts, please help me. I'll be arriving by train from Amsterdam October 5. Never been to Paris and frankly feel a little overwhelmed. It it impossibly complicated to Hotel Jeanne d'Arc on the metro?

gatorbill Sep 25th, 2006 09:05 PM

Hôtel Jeanne d'Arc, le Marais
3, rue de Jarente 75004 Paris
Metro: Saint Paul
Tel: +33 1 48 87 62 11

I assume that you will be arriving into Paris from Amsterdam at the Gare du Nord. You will have to take the RER Line D (direction Melun) from the Gare du Nord to the Chatelet-Les Halles station then at this station you will have to transfer (i.e. correspondence) to Metro Line 1 (direction Chateau de Vincennes) to the Saint-Paul station (total time including walking should be around 20-30 minutes), then just walk to your hotel.

RonZ Sep 25th, 2006 10:18 PM

Here's a neighborhood map--look to the left of Place des Vosges for your street.

http://www.ratp.info/picts/plans/pdf...saint_paul.pdf

See the stop for the 69 bus--great sightseeing route going to the Eiffel Tower. The Balabus has a touristic route and it runs on Sunday afternoons.

kerouac Sep 25th, 2006 11:08 PM

I would say that it is easier to take metro line 4 from Gare du Nord to Châtelet and then change to line 1 -- the metro station for that line is right below the main line train platforms, whereas if you went over to the RER to take line B or D to Châtelet, it takes a lot more walking. Then again, the advantage of the RER is that it is just one stop to Châtelet, while the metro has quite a few stations between Gare du Nord and Châtelet. But, to flipflop one last time, the connection from the RER to metro line 1 at Châtelet is a very long walk, too.

DonTopaz Sep 26th, 2006 04:15 AM

For heaven's sake. The OP has never been to Paris, and people are suggesting that she find the metro or RER from the train platform,figure out how the metro works (buying tickets, getting on the right line/right direction), change trains, and then find her way from the St Paul metro to her hotel. And all this with luggage.

To answer the OP, no, it is not impossibly complicated to use the metro. But, even on a budget, I would recommend that you take a taxi from Gare do Nord to the hotel. It's not a long ride, and taxis are relatively inexpensive in Paris (probably about 5-7 euros for this trip).

After you've settled into the hotel, got your bearings a little, and dumped your luggage -- that's a good time to explore the metro.

kerouac Sep 26th, 2006 04:31 AM

On Sunday, when there is supposed to be less traffic, a similar taxi ride between Châtelet and just behind Gare du Nord cost me 22 euros (and 45 minutes) due to the Ramadan traffic jams. I had been expecting to pay about 8 euros.

goldwynn Sep 26th, 2006 06:23 AM

RonZ: I`ve used the neighbourhood bus map (quartiers) from RATP for some years now and mine are getting a little ratty. But I have forgotten the way to the main website on RATP which lists the different quartiers to copy a map. You`ve given a link for Saint Paul in a previous posting, can you give me a link that lists all the various quartiers for copying? Thank you.........

Robespierre Sep 26th, 2006 06:29 AM

No. In their wisdom, RATP took down the index page a few months ago. But you can usually get what you want by entering the URL manually and changing the last bit that specifies a particular pdf file. Sometimes it takes a little imagination to stumble on the correct formulation, such as

http://www.ratp.info/picts/plans/pdf...austerlitz.pdf

In general, substitute an underscore _ for a space or dash, and spell out "saint" and you'll get pretty close to the exact spelling.

goldwynn Sep 26th, 2006 06:43 AM

Thank you very much Robespierre.....I thought immediately I was at fault in not being able to find it. Little did I think RATP would take away such a helpful link. Will take your most helpful advice......

jayne1973 Sep 26th, 2006 06:49 AM

Thank you all so much. Now at least it doesn't seem impossible! And I can always change my mind and take a taxi, like rizzuto suggests. I've heard of the Batobus, but not Balobus. What is it? Kind of a tourist bus?

Robespierre Sep 26th, 2006 07:12 AM

Balabus. It's a special city bus that runs up and down the river on summer sunday afternoons:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...&nompdf=17

jayne1973 Sep 26th, 2006 10:14 AM

Well since it's not summer and I won't be there on a Sunday, I'll scratch Bala off the list. I cannot wait to experience Paris!

Nina66 Sep 26th, 2006 11:27 AM

My worst nightmare is spending my entire stay in Paris, wandering around in Chatelet, sans or avec luggage. If it weren't for DH leading the way, after umpteenth trips there, I would be doing exactly that.

My only flaw :-)) is that I am directinally impaired - any time, any place. I do all of the detailed planning for our trips and DH takes it from there. I do the same thing at home, so it really isn't a problem.

Jayne, take a cab directly to your hotel. If you are overwhelmed now, I can only imagine how you will feel taking public transportation and then walking to your hotel, albeit only a few blocks, schlepping your luggage and not being exactly sure of where you are.

I know that a lot of Fodorites love and take the RER, Metro, etc. to and from train stations, airports etc.. we've done that, but of course DH was carries most of the luggage and knows exactly where he is going.

Go with a cab, you'll arrive at your hotel, relaxed, and ready to hit the sidewalks running.

Enjoy your stay.

Nina

jayne1973 Sep 26th, 2006 02:18 PM

Nina, I might very well do just that. I know I would take the taxi if I was arriving jet lagged from a flight. I won't be alone, so that helps.

Thanks, Robespierre. That's great information regarding CDG for if I ever get the nerve to fly into it! (I've heard it's a zoo.) Just getting my feet wet on this trip. One thing I've learned from these travel boards is exactly what you said. In the end you have to do what's right for you. That includes lodging, transportation and attire -- even in the infamously stylish Paris!

RonZ Sep 26th, 2006 04:42 PM

The Batobus is a water taxi. A ticket is good all day and evening [til 10PM in the summer], and you can get off and on at will:

www.batobus.com

Gretchen Sep 26th, 2006 04:52 PM

I will say this about the rue Jarente. There are two wonderful restaurants on that small street--Auberge du Jarente and another right across from it.

AND hear this OP and everyone else, that little street is the very dickens to find. Yes, the bus goes right by it, if you know the bus. It is confusing from Metro St. Paul

Do yourself a favor--take a 10E cab ride (maybe not that much) and enjoy the area. And DO try those restaurants.

jayne1973 Sep 26th, 2006 05:50 PM

Thanks and more thanks! I am really getting excited!

RonZ Sep 26th, 2006 07:00 PM

It's not hard to find if you have a decent map--the Paris Mapguide for one. Lots of small streets in this area.

Here's the bus line Gretchen mentioned--the closet stop is Place des Vosges.

http://www.ratp.info/picts/plans/gif/bus_paris/96.gif

RonZ Sep 26th, 2006 07:32 PM

Marais web site. Lot's of general dining tips in the restaurant section.

http://www.parismarais.com/

Gretchen Sep 27th, 2006 03:14 AM

Ron, I rarely to never disagree with you but we--4 well travelled folk--had the very worst time finding rue Jarente from St. Paul Metro. AND we had the huge map de quartier right there on the square.
For a first timer, I think the very inexpensive cab ride from Gare du Nord is a no brainer.
The bus line you posted may be the one--we were staying in the 11th and the bus to our hotel went right by the entrance to rue Jarente. I think there was a closer bus stop. BUT buses for a first timer, with luggage, is not the way to start a trip.