Reload this Page >

Luggage and Public Transportation Concerns in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Erin

Hello everyone. I keep asking for advice but only because everyone is wonderful about it! I will be traveling around Ireland for 2 months by bus and I would like suggestions on what kind of luggage would be the best/easiest to use. Thanks, Erin

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Danna

Erin, As for anything LIGHT! My husband and I brought 1 wheeled bag for the two of us, it seemed like a good idea but he had to heft if onto busses. Two small bags, one with you main stuff and you can put it in a luggage hold if you come onto one, and one to take on the bus. Most coaches we took you had to take luggage on the bus. Light! Lighter and Lightest! I'm glad to hear you will be going by coach, it is the way to go! Have Fun!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Milo

Go with a backpack, since you will have to hike from and to stations and up stairs, up into buses etc.. Wheeled bags are great but are meant for airport floors not roads etc. and after much use can fall apart on these surfaces. Maybe a backpack with wheels would work well also but you loose some packing space. Just remember whatever you do is pack light, what feels good carrying around your house for ten minutes will feel like a ton on the road.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 08:16 PM

t

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 04:03 AM
Dave

Erin, <BR> <BR>You might consider a "travelpack", which is a backpack with zip-away shoulder straps. There are various design variations, incuding expandable sections, zip-off day-packs, and wheeled versions. <BR> <BR>Having said that, a travel-pack might be convenient, but you may prefer to get a regular (internal-frame) pack since you'll be gone for two-months. An internal-fram backpack may give you more capacity, and will probably be more confortable to carry. Take a look at a few on-line outdoor sporting goods shops like www.campmor.com to get an idea of what's available. <BR> <BR>I got a Kelty Pangea (expandable, with day-pack) from CampMor for well under $100. Before buying one on-line, go to a local sporting goods store and try on a few different styles to see what you're comfortable with. It's very important to get the right size, good straps, etc. Lugging around an ill-fitting backpack for two months will not be pleasant. <BR> <BR>Most important: pack light. You obviously won't be able to pack two-months-worth of clothing, so try to figure out the minimum you can get by with for two-weeks at a time. And be sure to hoard those coins for laundry. <BR> <BR>Dave

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:01 PM
Margie

Erin <BR> <BR>There are new wheeled backpacks out now that have the same wheels that rollerblades and scooters have. Much more rugged, smooth and stable. If you have a Marshall's or a Homegoods nearby- go check their luggage section for top brands at half the price. Timberland makes a good one in two sizes. I got mine for $60 (reg $120) The thing about the wheels that I like is that you will get sick of carrying it on your back and these wheels are street tough, (not like those lame old plastic rollers) so you can easily put it down and pull. The only drawback I see is that the nicer wheels add a little weight. As for packing tips, check out ricksteves.com for a good article on how to pack light. The key is washing your stuff alot so you need less, and also mailing home anything you buy so you don't have to drag it around. Think of living with less as a chance to re-evaluate what's really essential in life and what's just extra clutter. We Americans are far too attached to our stuff. Living unfettered is liberating. Have fun.. <BR>M

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:01 PM
Erin

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I decided to order an internal frame backpack from an online website. I was considering one with wheels but knowing me, I would never roll it anyway. This will be a great test for me--I'm prepared for the challenge of packing for two months in one bag!! Thanks again!