Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   paris new year's eve (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-new-years-eve-440517/)

Quark Jun 8th, 2004 05:37 PM

paris new year's eve

Hi,
I've just booked a trip to Paris for dec. 27 to jan 2. I've done some research but still need some advice on how to spend new year's eve. We're 2 women, 40, on a budget, who would like to find some place to eat, maybe 100 euros for both, and then something safe to do afterwards. From what I've read the latin quarter, champs elysees and the eiffel tower may be too crazy for us. We're staying in the montmartre area. We like all music which could be an option, but if we just wanted to walk around somewhere is there any area that might be funner, safer than others?
thanks for any help.

Christina Jun 8th, 2004 06:30 PM

I haven't been there on New Year's Eve and, full disclosure, don't care for those kind of holidays or events. I stay home on NY eve.

I do think from the many menus, special events, lists, pricings, etc. that I have viewed for NY eve in Paris that it is extremely unlikely you are going to go somewhere for 50 euro per person. Prices on NY eve are about 2-3 times their normal rate in various Parisian restaurants and cafes. I really don't think you are going to get a place with live music at that rate. The major public areas of Montmartre are not areas I would want to be out at night on NY eve, though. Sorry I cannot give specific advice, but I think you may need to be prepared that this price is not possible.

Shrink Jun 8th, 2004 06:42 PM

Hi Quark
Its so rare that someone asks a question on this link that I can actually answer but you did. Did last New Years Eve on the Champs Elysees. It was colder than - well a lot of things! However, I am from Texas and if it gets below freezing - we go into hibernation. First two women will be quite safe there since about 11PM a whole army of Paris' finest come out and disperse along the entire street. There is a lot of noise, drinking/drunks, and general good cheer. There were 4 of us and at no time ever felt uncomfortable (other than the temp). Naturally we went to the top of the Arch -- incredible view -- but cold. Many side streets with small cozy restaurants and not expensive. I dont know where you have spent New Years eves before, but based on our experience last year, I can promise it will rank toward the very top. Have a great time.
BTW -- we found out the hard way that the Subways stop running at 1AM. Either be on one going back to the hotel, or get ready for a long, cold walk. We got back about 5AM. Taxis non-existant.
Shrink

Robert2533 Jun 8th, 2004 07:01 PM

We arrived early enough to spent the post-Christmas, New Year's eve holiday period in Paris this past year and found it interesting in that Parisians don't do much more on New Year's year than they do any other time of the year, except to stay up a couple of hours longer. There where a couple of hundred thousand people walking the Champs Elysees having a great time for a couple of hours after mid-night, and crowds where lined up on the bridges crossing the Seine drinking their champagne, toasting the new year, but other that the horns honking as the cars drove by on the Quai D?Orsay, it was relatively quiet in the 6th and 7th. This is a time when a lot of people who live in the suburbs head into Paris Ville for a night out because the metro is free from around 5 pm until 1:30 am. So all of those who live elsewhere are heading home before the last train leaves for the suburbs. There is some action around the jazz clubs in the 6th, along St. Dominique in the 7th, St. Germain in the 5th and on the right bank, but Paris Ville itself is fairly quite after mid-night, as it is most nights.

We booked a Pays Basque restaurant in the 7th where we had eaten many times before where there was a special menu that was well over 100 Euros each, without wine. There are a number of restaurants in this area, but I don't think you'll find one open on New Year's Eve where two can dine for under 50 Euros each. In fact, a number of popular restaurants close for the Christmas/New Years period and a number of those open are either having special celebrations, or are accommodating people whose regular restaurants are closed for the holiday.

Most of the area?s along the Seine, right bank, left bank, are reasonably safe at this time of year because there are not many tourist and the police are out in force to direct the New Year?s traffic. Paris is not like New York or Los Angeles. It?s a bit more sane with a lot more class and a lot of people have to work on New Years day if it happens to fall on a weekday.

LarryJG62 Jun 8th, 2004 09:31 PM

I've been reading all the posts from years past trying to get ideas about to what to do on NYE and how much it will cost. From what I've read here, the Champs Elysees is fairly raucous and something to avoid if you don't like crowds.

I was also wondering how far in advance I should or can make a restaurant reservation. My friend and I are considering La Coupole but we're thinking we have time to consider other places, like Bofinger, which would be closer to our accodomations. The Flo Brasseries website takes res. only a month in advance so I'm not sure when we can book it. I hope other travelers can share their stories and tips about NYE in Paris.

BTilke Jun 8th, 2004 11:51 PM

One option would be to attend a performance at either the Opera Garnier or Opera Bastille. Both will (or should, I'm speaking from past experience) offer something on NYE, usually something fairly light. For example, two years ago, when we were in Paris for NYE, the Bastille Opera was showing Die Fledermaus. Very entertaining. We booked our tickets online and got very good seats.
Since you'll be in the Montmartre area, you might also want to consider taking in one of the revues at Crazy Horse or Moulin Rouge. A very touristy thing, but so what? Could be tons of fun. We saw a special on TV5 a few days ago about the new show at Moulin Rouge and it looked pretty good. The program described how these revues are trying to get back to being more "French" with more music, etc. rather than just glorified T & A shows. And then you won't have to worry about trying to find a cab to get back to your hotel.

jay Jun 9th, 2004 05:49 AM

If you do go to the Champs Elysee on NYE, wear armor. Have a great time.