Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Neighborhoods (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-neighborhoods-856808/)

nycgal73 Aug 28th, 2010 07:42 AM

Paris Neighborhoods

hello

my husband and i will be visiting paris for the first time at the end of october... we are on a tight budget and found an apartment in the Chatelet Les Halles neighborhood through a site called AirBnB. We have heard iffy things about the neighborhood and wanted to know if anyone has had any personal experiences, in terms of safety and centrality with this neighborhood we are a couple in our late 30's and dont mind a colorful, bohemian scene, but want to make sure we are not in a dangerous location. thank you

StCirq Aug 28th, 2010 08:23 AM

I wouldn't stay there, given that there are so many other options. Chatelet metro station is one of the very, very few places I won't hang around after dark. Daytime - no problem. On the other hand, it's central Paris, and much safer than many an American city. But given that there are a bazillion other neighborhoods to choose from, I'd look elsewhere.

nukesafe Aug 28th, 2010 08:46 AM

St. Cirq,

What is it that makes the Chatelet neighborhood so raunchy? I know I hate transferring on the Metro at that station as it is so huge, and the distances between lines can be so long, but what is happening above ground?

Come to think of it, I can't recall ever popping my head up there, just changed Metro lines.

cw Aug 28th, 2010 09:06 AM

nycgal,

Do you know the address?

kerouac Aug 28th, 2010 10:31 AM

The Châtelet-Les Halles neighborhood is an excellent base. Yes, it has lots of nightlife and therefore the accompanying rowdy youth and/or drunks. They are not dangerous if you know how to keep your distance.

john7 Aug 28th, 2010 10:33 AM

A lot of useful information on the site http://www.relbanks.com/

Christina Aug 28th, 2010 10:51 AM

I just stayed near Chatelet in JUly for four days. No different than many others except there are more stores in that area being near rue de Rivoli and that general area, and the usual congestion which goes with those small narrow streets on the Right Bank. I wanted to stay there as I had a ticket for an evening performance at Theatre de Chatelet so I could walk home easily when it was over, which worked out fine. It's not as totally residential as many outer areas of Paris, of course. I think more drifters, if you will, hang out around the Chatelet/Les Halles area than Chatelet, actually as there are more areas to do that near the Pompidou and the shopping center.

The neighborhood is certainly central, you can tell that from a map, so forget that issue.

As for safety -- I was hit there by one of those colorful Bohemian characters when I was sitting by that Nikki de Phales fountain near Pompdiou in broad daylight (he came up behind me and just slugged me in the back for no reason). I don't like the area myself so much for lots of reasons, I wouldn't want to stay near there although I am around it various times during my trips for shopping or things.

oakglen Aug 28th, 2010 12:47 PM

Chatelet is one of a handful of metro stops that I detest; it seems that you walk forever, only to end up across the street. As to the gangs of unemployed youth who hang about, I don't believe they are organized gangs like we have in our major cities. At worst, they are looking for easy marks; so if you look sober, and walk purposely, you should be fine. Just carry nothing of value on your person and use the bus system.

AlessandraZoe Aug 28th, 2010 12:55 PM

I'll repeat cw's question, nycgal: what's the address?

The danger vibes vary widely around there depending on street intersection.

If it's possible you don't have to surface on Chatelet Metro during the night, you might be A-OK. And I really agree with all above, while it's certainly not in my top 5 locations I'd choose in which to stay, in general the area is really advantageous to a lot of what you can see in Paris.

Cliff09 Aug 28th, 2010 03:00 PM

NYC I know someone that rents a flat out in the marais near the Bastille for less than 100 euro/night. great location 100 meters from metro.Safe etc..

avalon Aug 28th, 2010 03:04 PM

Last place I'd want to stay because I hate the metro stop there!

Cliff09 Aug 30th, 2010 02:44 PM

the stop is not the bastille

jpie Aug 30th, 2010 04:12 PM

I lived at the Citadines Les Halles for 2 months as a temporary corporate housing. I agree that the area isn't dangerous-but more on the rowdy side-although some sides of the area bordering Les Halles itself can be seedy-particularly the area near St. Denis which is kind of the northeast part of the neighborhood. I totally agree that by preference I would stay elsewhere like in the Marais or near St. Germain on the other side of the river, due both to the neighborhood and the fact of having to take the chatelet metro all the time-which is always a hassle.