Driving Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Trip

Hi all

im new to the forum!,

me and my family are taking europe in: via Car.

We will be landing in Zurich, and wish to goto Salzburg, Venice, Modena/Maranello, Cinqeterra, Milan & back to Zurich.

I was wondering if someone had done a trip of this sorts, all within 5-6 days.

I am a driving enthusiast; and have been dreaming of driving on Europe's tight & winding roads.

Any help and advise would be appreciated; including sights, great and little known driving roads, scenic points, etc...

Cheers

Rudy
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:22 PM

Five days is too little unless the roads are all you plan to see. Taking the winding road from Milan to Zurich, i.e. not taking the St. Gotthard tunnel, will take a whole day's driving. I know because I went from Lake Como to Luzern that way. I suggest you use viaMichelin.com or Google Map to see what the distances are like and the driving times. If either directs you on roads that you do not want to use, specify an intermediate location that will force the use of the road you desire.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM

Several years ago I did a trip to Switzerland; landed in Zurich. Drove into Austria, northern Italy, western France, southern Germany in about 10 or 11 days. Drove south through the Alps into northern Italy and then reentering Switzerland in the French section of the Alps was absolutely fantastic. Some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen. Did this trip in mid April so there was still snow in much of the upper Alps. What was intriguing driving through Switzerland depending on what part of the country your in determined whether the language and traffic signs were in German, Italian or French. For a rather small country Switzerland offered great variety. I'm sure you are going to have great time.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 04:53 PM

Way too many places in way too little time unless all you want to do is sit in a car. We have done numerous road trips in Europe - including much of this area - and you are really selling yourself short. In 5 days you should stay in one place (not Zurich - a business city) and do one or two day trips if you want.

Of course, it's your vacation, but I suggest you to to viamichelin.com and check out distances and driving times. (We love to drive in Europe - IMHO much better than in the US - roads better and drivers much better - but never more than 4 hours in a day - and that with a stop someplace interesting for lunch.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM

Hi rutman22,
By entering your itinerary in my Autoroute program it comes up with 1106 miles and 18 1/2 hrs drive time with no stops. Looks kind of painful to do in just 5-6 days.

Michele
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Way too much driving for such a short amount of time. With food stops and potty breaks you will just be sitting in a car. We rented in Zurich left right away for Lucerne.Easy to follow directions look for the green highway signs out of Zurich.Many beautiful views along the roads, but you need to pare it down.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:59 AM

You need serious help with this trip.
Let me suggest a more realistic itinerary in that time:
Luzern
Cinque Terre
Lugano
Zurich
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 03:53 PM

The car you'll drive on the express routes in Switzerland will have to have the road-tax sticker called Vignette affixed to the windscren. Make sure the car has it when you pick it up, or buy one before you hit the main roads. Fines are hefty.