Search

July Itinerary Switzerland in 8 days?

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2015, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July Itinerary Switzerland in 8 days?

Hello,

We bought cheap tickets to zurich in July 21-28. Now wondering where to go?
We have taken a look at some itineraries of tours but they were kind of confusing...
The itinerary that we found most popular was:
July 21.) Arrival to Zurich Airport at 22:55 (stay the night in Zurich)
July 22.) From Zurich to Lucerne by train (stay the night in Lucerne)
July 23.) From Lucerne to Laussene by train (stay the night in Laussene)
July 24.) From Laussene to Zermatt by train (stay the night in Zermatt)
July 25.) From Zermatt to St Moritz by Glacier Express train (stay the night in St Moritz)
July 26.) Day trip From St Moritz by/to Bernina Ezpress train (stay the night in St Moritz)
July 27.) From St Moritz to Zurich by train (stay the night in Zurich)
July 28.) Departure from Zurich Airport at 16:25

Is it doable?
What about intelaken? Any other suggestions/recommendations?
Is it better to buy Swiss rail pass or indiviual tickets?
What do you think?
Many thanks
Old May 1st, 2015, 01:36 PM

If doing all that train travel, which is fine, an 8-consecutive-day Swiss Pass is probably a good and best deal for you - covers all the trains even the Bernina Express - to me Europe's most scenic train!

for lots of great stuff on Swiss trains: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeturopetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

Many will say you are traveling too much - nearly all the time and htough Swiss trains are all scenic and many dramatically so I would consider doingperhaps 3 days in either Zermatt or the Jungfrau Region near Interlaken - to me and many the absolute highlight of Switzerland.

Unless going to Lausanne for some reason I'd head straight for Lucerne then take the scenic Brunig Pass route to Interlaken and head for dem hills. To a place like Grindlewald or Wengen and be eyeball to eyeball with glacier-girdled soaring peaks rising thousands of feet above luch meadows.
Old May 1st, 2015, 02:14 PM

I agree with Pal. Head to the BO, just above Interlaken. Beautiful mountains, waterfalls, train rides and hikes. Some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see.
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:27 PM

Hi sbs2007,

Yes, I'm one who would say that you are moving around too much. Remember that every time you move bases, you lose about half a day of "outside" time due to the chores of packing up in one hotel and checking out, then checking in and unpacking at your new hotel. Add in the time spent on the train and finding your way around, and you've lost lots of time to see any destination. That's why an itinerary like this gives you lots of scenes of train lines and train stations, but not so much time in the countryside, where the truly stunning views are.

You really don't need to spend your first night in Zürich -- the train ride to Luzern is only an hour long, so you can get that done on arrival day. Just push through the weariness for one more hour and get to Luzern. Also agree that you don't need one night in Lausanne.

For 7 nights, I would suggest only 2 bases, plus your exit town (Zürich). So, I would suggest a combination such as:

Luzern & Oberland
Oberland & Montreux
Zermatt & St. Moritz (St. Moritz area actually)

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:53 AM

Less can indeed be more sometimes!