passport question

Search

passport question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passport question

I realize it is a bit late to ask about passports since I'm traveling on March 25, but I'm just a bit paranoid. I do have a valid passport. I got it before I was married, so it was issued in my madien name. When I changed my name (July 2003), I mailed in my passport and they amended it (in the back) to read the new name. I am sure this was the proper procedure at the time. However, now they process name changes by issuing a whole new passport. But they should still accept ones done the old way, right?

I tried calling a number of places to check and basically go the run around. No one knew the answer and always suggested I talk to someone else. But, like I said, I did everything right when I changed my name 3 years ago and the passport is still vaild, so I should be okay, right?

Do you think I should worry? Should I consider bringing any other documents to show the name change? My driver's license, credit card, etc are all in my married name. I don't want to unnecessarily risk losing anything, but should I consider bringing my birth certificate? Marriage license?

Hopefully someone can help set my mind at ease.

Thanks,
Kasey

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

PS. I should have mentioned that, of course, my airline tickets are in my married name. I bought them online (AirFrance) using a cc in my married name.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Try calling this number:
1-877-487-2778
It's a number to call for an appointment - perhaps they can direct you.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...ting_2654.html
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM

I got married in 1999 and I was given a whole new passport in my married name.

If I were you, I would definitly take your official birth certificate with a seal and your marriage license with you as well and tell them this is what the government did.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM

Yes, your passport is still valid with the valid change made at the back. You do not have to bring additional proof. The change in policy does not make an previously issued and valid passport with a valid amendment invalid. Don't worry about it.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Hello kasehy, after September 26, 2005 anyone needing a name change to their passport needs a new passport. Current passport will not be amended after that date.

You had your passport amended after you got married in July 2003. That certainly was the proper procedure at that time and consequently your current passport is in good order with the amendment to it until the expiration date of your current passport.

It is only US citizens that need a change name for their passport after September 26, 2005 that will need a new passport.

Do take your driver's license with you (even if you will not be driving a rental car) as if for some reason your passport is lost or stolen your drivers license will be your "backup" ID card.

Also make two photocopies of your current passport. Leave one copy with a trusted person at home and take one copy with you, keep it separate from your passport. Again if you lose or have your original passport stolen the photocopy will be good information so you can have your passport replaced.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:38 PM

Hi kaseyh ~ LoveItaly and Cicerone are correct. I just traveled with an amended passport and had no problems.

I will add that when they started looking at my name and the name on the tickets strangely, I just said that my passport was amended, and they turned it to the back page right away. No worries. Ironically the only time this happened was at check in for our departure, not at any other time.

Safe journey, Tiff
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:48 PM

The advice on photocopies is important. My bag was stolen with out passports and we DID not have copies and were scheduled to leave London for Paris and could not leave. The embassy helped get us emergency passports, but it was a huge hassle.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Hi dear Tiff, the reason your passport was checked on departure is that your airline (the same one I use) and all airlines are responsible that all passengers boarding to fly out of the US have the proper documentation.

NYeer, what a terrible experience!! Imagine you lost a day or so of precious vacation time plus the stress. I always sort of "overplan" for problems and emergencies but that is good in my opinion. Bad things can happen.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 12:39 AM

Make copies of the identity page in the front and the amendment page in the back. This will be more helpful than anything else if, for some reason, you need a replacement.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I feel better hearing that the amendment isn't so unusal. I already scanned copies of my passport and will e-mail myself a copy as well as leave a copy with my in-laws. I don't think I want to risk losing my original birth certificate and marriage license, but maybe I'll bring copies just in case. But it doesn't sound like I need to.

Thanks again for setting my mind at ease.

Kasey
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I had the same issue the last several times I traveled, until I lost my passport last year and got a whole new one.

My suggestion is to be prepared to flip the passport to the end in anticipation. I found that many people were not aware of amended passports and I had to show them my name change. This occured in Greece, Italy, and Prague -- let alone in the US. Strange that people would be surprised...it saved time in line for me to tell them ahead of time.