Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Museum Pass (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-museum-pass-356366/)

eahayden Sep 8th, 2003 03:14 PM

Paris Museum Pass

I recently posted my itinerary and said I wasn't sure if the museum pass was worth it since the pass was 10 euro more than the figures I found of the admission prices. Someone said my math was wrong, so I went back and checked- on the site I found for the pass, euroquestpass.com, it lists the pass as 40 Euro. Is there another website for them? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Degas Sep 8th, 2003 03:23 PM

go to www.intermusees.com for detailed info

Its 30 Euros for 3 days and 45 euros for 5 days.

eahayden Sep 8th, 2003 03:29 PM

Oops, thanks. I think I answered my own question. The site I mentioned before obviously has nothing to do really with the Paris museum pass, and it'd be 30 euros if I bought it in Paris. Silly me, I understand now! Thanks!

HowardR Sep 8th, 2003 04:14 PM

It's easy to buy the pass in Paris. It's readily available at major metro stations, the museums and other sights included in the pass and elsewhere.
Incidentally, any company that sells the passes for more than the above-mentioned prices is charging extra for providing the service, which, in reality, is considered by most be a waste of money, since it's so easy to obtain.

sandi_travelnut Sep 9th, 2003 05:36 AM

I also would like to mention that not only will you save some money, you can walk to the front of the line at the museum door and go right in. This alone was worth it after walking around Paris for a few days and coming up on Musee D'Orsay with an extremely long line.

Kay_M Sep 9th, 2003 05:47 AM

I agree with the above poster. A pass will in all likehood save you money, but even if it turned out to be a few euos more than point to point admissions, the time it will save you more than makes up for it. It makes for a nice souvenir of your trip, too.

Bob_C Sep 9th, 2003 06:04 AM

One of ways we used our pass was to go to a museum more than once. For example we went to the Louvre three times. Each time seeing a new area.

AJPeabody Sep 9th, 2003 07:53 PM

Another advantage of the Museum Pass is that you won't be afraid to go into those "small" museums that really aren't worth the entry fee for a small specialized collection. With a pass, just follow your whims.

Another thought: We found that for a trip that's long enough, two short Museum passes are better than one five-day pass, since you won't feel forced to view museums five consecutive days in order not to waste a pass day.

igemini48 Sep 24th, 2003 07:52 PM

Hello to All.
I have question: If it's so easy to get a pass why soooo many people still waisting time in line to museum.
I myself will definitely buy one. Thanks a lot to everyone for input.

The_Pixies Sep 24th, 2003 09:33 PM

I asked myself that last time I was in Paris too! It was July and pouring rain outside. We had the museum pass and decided to walk over to the Musee d'Orsay. The line-up was at least 3 full blocks long!! My wife and I thought there was no way that our pass would let us right in with this line. We walked to the front anyway, and sure enough we got right in, pass 1000 people in line! Worth every euro!

Christina Sep 25th, 2003 11:33 AM

Some people don't know they exist, and that's why they don't buy them. Other people don't want to spend the extra money if they only want to go to one museum. It is worth the money to me not to wait in line for an hour (especially in rain) even for one museum, but some folks would not want to spend the extra 8 euro or so for that.

maztoz Sep 25th, 2003 12:01 PM

A pass is great. It not only allows you to bypass the long lines, it also gives you access into the Louvre from many entrances unavailable to the general public. Just walk up to the guard and ask if you can enter there. We saved a LOT of steps after figuring this little trick out.
Have a great time,
mz

amelia Sep 25th, 2003 02:00 PM

What I found to be pleasantly surprising was the number of people on this board who by the fourth or fifth trip to Paris did not bother with Metro passes anymore (just did the carnet approach) but still bothered to get the museum pass.

The reason it was surprising is that by the fourth or fifth time, one could say he has exhausted most of the major museums and a great deal of the small ones.

But I know I had to force myself on trip seven to Paris not to buy the pass. I just loved the flexibility it offered, and I always felt that if I didn't get every Euro's worth out of the deal, so what? I had contributed to the culture of a fabulous city of fabulous art.

We as a family love eating breakfast at the Louvre, doing some section, leaving for the Musee d'Orsay (where as posters have indicated, the line can be horrendous), having lunch there, and perhaps moving over to the Rodin to revisit some of our favorites. With the pass, it's a relaxed whimsical day, not a forced march.