Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris-Metro stop near Eiffel Tower (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-metro-stop-near-eiffel-tower-168812/)

KB Jan 16th, 2003 10:35 AM

Paris-Metro stop near Eiffel Tower

Can anyone tell me what is the nearest metro stop to the Eiffel Tower? We will be coming out from CDG? Thank you!

Wendy Jan 16th, 2003 10:39 AM

M: Bir-Hakim

Luis Jan 16th, 2003 11:27 AM

KB:<BR><BR>You can also get off by the Palais de Chaillot which corresponds to the stop called Trocadero...

StCirq Jan 16th, 2003 11:35 AM

KB: Are you actually going right from CDG to visit the Eiffel Tower? If that is the case, then Bir Hakeim is the closest m&eacute;tro. But since not many people would be going right from the airport to the Eiffel Tower (with luggage?), I'm wondering if you are actually headed somewhere NEAR the Eiffel Tower (a hotel, perhaps?), in which case it would be better to say exactly where, as neither Bir Hakeim nor Trocad&eacute;ro might be the right stop.

Getamap Jan 16th, 2003 11:57 AM

Assume if you have already bought your plane tickets, you might have actually cracked the cover of a guidebook? Any decent one should have a metro map, as well as a listing for the Tour Eiffel with opening hours, admission costs, and the name of the nearest Metro stop. Look it up on this site, even!<BR><BR>These kinds of questions drive me to distraction.... The idea here is to share personal experiences, and/or information that a guidebook would NOT include.

Yep Jan 16th, 2003 12:01 PM

From this site (Destinations - Paris):<BR><BR>&quot;TOUR EIFFEL<BR><BR> Rate It <BR><BR>(Tour Eiffel). Paris's most famous landmark was built by Gustave Eiffel for the World Exhibition of 1889, the centennial of the French Revolution. Such was Eiffel's engineering wizardry that even in the strongest winds his tower never sways more than 4½ inches. If you're full of energy, hike the stairs to the third deck. If you want to go to the top, you'll have to take the elevator. The view at 1,000 ft is worth it. COST: By elevator: 2nd floor, EUR3.7; 3rd floor, EUR6.9; 4th floor, EUR9.9. By foot: 2nd and 3rd floors only, EUR3 July-Aug., daily 9 AM-midnight; Sept.-June, daily 9 AM-11 PM. M&eacute;tro: Bir-Hakeim; RER: Champ de Mars. www.tour-eiffel.fr&quot;

Ray Jan 16th, 2003 12:05 PM

KB<BR>From CDG you will be taking RER to Gare du Nord. From there take Metro No 5 direction Place d'Italie to Republique. Then take M 8 direction Balard to Ecole Militaire. It is a short walk from there. You will also be a block or 2 form Rue Cler, a neat market street that is great for getting your picnic needs to eat in the Parc du Champ de Mars.<BR><BR>Also, if you will be there more than about 4 days and plan to use the Metro much, get a Carte Orange. It's good for Metro and bus travel. Take a passport size photo with you as you'll need it to put in the folder.<BR><BR>Wish I was going with you.

yyy Jan 16th, 2003 12:10 PM

Getamap, feel free to take your snotty sorry self out of here if you're so annoyed. Why work through a thread that you're not interested in.<BR><BR>Don't let the cyber door hit you on the butt on the way out.

Amy Jan 16th, 2003 12:23 PM

Bir Hakim is closer, yes.<BR><BR>The walk from Trocadero past the fountains and to the Eiffel Tower is really neat though. You realize how imposing it actually is by the distance you're walking and you're still not &quot;there yet&quot;. I stayed in the Trocadero area on my first trip to Paris, and this was the highlight of my first day.

KB Jan 16th, 2003 12:24 PM

Thanks to all those who gave helpful advice. We actually will be coming from CDG to the Eiffel Tower without luggage as we are in Paris for one day only. We're staying at the Sheraton at CDG.