Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Metro question - RER to Louvre Rivoli?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
L4C
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We will be arriving at CDG on a Saturday morning, will probably be leaving the airport 11:30ish. First we thought shuttle (nixed at the thought of waiting for it, others getting dropped off first, etc - did I mention we are traveling with a 3 yr old?); then we thought taxi (I just nixed that one, remembered how carsick I get in long cab rides esp if anyone has ever smoked a cigarette in the cab ever) and now, finally, I am thinking RER.

Our metro stop will be Louvre Rivoli on Line 1. Would the best bet be to take the RER to Etoile and then transfer there to Line 1? How far a walk is it between the RER and Line 1 at Etoile? I seem to remember walking for what seemed like a mile at certain stations that appeared to be direct connections on the metro map. Also - is there a better route?

TIA,
L.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM

I wouldn't get on the Métro at all. To get from CDG to Louvre-Rivoli, I suggest you ride the RER B to Châtelet, exit on Rue St-Denis, and either walk to your hotel or catch the next bus at the stop on the north side of Rue de Rivoli. Here's the situation around the station: tinyurl.com/35mzfv - zoom in to see all the street names.

Tell me the address of your hotel, and I can compute a solution for you.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM

I would not recommend taking trans Atlantic luggage and a a 3 year old on the RER. First there is the question of negotiating the stairs, and you are right: a long walk. Even if you travel with very little luggage, the child will require a supply of toys and clothes. How well do you think you can manage your suit case, the child's suitcase, and the youngster him/herself up a long flight of stairs?

As I recall the Louvre Rivoli station has no escalator.

You don't get motion sick on RER and Metro trains but do in a cab?

I think sitting in a shuttle would be preferable to battling with luggage on the RER and Metro. But, it is not my trip.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM
L4C
Original Poster

We are staying in an apartment at 150 rue St Honore.

We will be 3 adults and one 3 yr old DD, with carry-on luggage only. My sister may even meet us at the airport and travel to our apartment with us, so that would be 4 adults and a kid. I think the train may be manageable with that kind of adult:kid ratio!

Also - no, I do not get motion sick on subways or trains. Only cars and sometimes buses. And if a car/bus ride is necessary, then I am fine with that and just kind of suck it up. But if I can do without it, I will.

Thank for the help!

L.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM

OK, here's your hotel in the context of its neighborhood: tinyurl.com/2j54ck

That bus stop on Rue de Rivoli serves the 21, 69, 72, and 81 lines, and the one around the corner on Rue du Louvre is for 67, 74, and 85. Pull up the map of Châtelet linked previously (un-check the Noctilien and Métro boxes to clean up the picture), and roll your mouse over the bus index at the bottom to see where you can board any of those buses.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:00 PM

You might consider one of the shuttle services--or taking the Air France bus into Paris and then a taxi. That wouldn't be a very long ride compared with the distance from CDG.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
No problem to take the RER to Châtelet-Les Halles.

Exit the Châtelet-Les Halles RER station through the Place Carré-Pont Neuf exit in the Forum des Halles (if in doubt, follow the signs for line 4 metro connection), and you will find yourselves instantly in rue Saint Honoré after 2 escalators that always work (you will see signs for Darty electronics store and Go Sport sporting goods store at the top of the escalator that you want). If you use any other method, you will kick yourselves for being stupid once you see how easy it is.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM

If you get sick if anyone has ever, even once, smoked a cigarette in a cab, you're going to die in the RER/Métro.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I wouldn't do the RER in your case, either, mainly because you'll have to transfer to the metro. If you could just do the RER direct to a stop near your apt., I might consider it.

However, I have to agree with St Cirq, and wondered if you thought about this. They used to allow smoking in there and even know I see a few people smoking even though they aren't allowed to (you know some people don't follow the rules). I don't think I've seen anyone smoking lately on the actual cars, but I always see someone smoking in the station, on the quays, while waiting for the trains. I'm not sure if that is what St Cirq is referring to, but possibly that the metro and RER cars and stations can really stink for other reasons (urine, perspiration, etc., it can get really bad in summer).

I've never noticed any cigarette smell in taxis myself, although I'm sure there are some, and I know I'm not that sensitive to it as you are. Most of them are pretty clean, and I think I've even seen some marked nonsmoking or something (probably the driver didn't smoke and didn't want it). But, if you get carsick just by a car ride, you can't help that. I would think you'd get more carsick on the metro myself, as in a car you have the scenery to look at which does usually ease the problem that causes carsickness. I can get a little motion sickness on a metro if I try to read on it, but not otherwise.

I really don't understand why you would get carsick in a taxi but not a van shuttle.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Perhaps you could do this:
Step 1 - take the Air France coach to Gare de Lyon. That is the first stop for this coach, and there is no waiting at the terminal(or short wait). They run regularly, not by reservations. I would be surprised if smoking were allowed on this bus. They also stow your luggage underneath and get it out for you at the stop.

Step 2 - from Gare de Lyon, you take Metro Line 1 to your stop, Louvre-Rivoli. You do need to be mindful of your belongings, but you said there were plenty of adults to handle everything.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:43 PM
L4C
Original Poster

Ok, I totally exaggerated the whole "1 cigarette in a taxi ever" thing - but it is a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure I would get carsick in a shuttle too, but I take them so rarely I didn't really think about it. The carsick thing is really not that big a deal - I just avoid it when I can. I've learned to live with it in my 34 yrs!

I think I'm going to present Kerouac's plan to the group.

L.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM
L4C
Original Poster

And Travelnut's.

L.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM

If there is no one in your group who has ever negotiated Châtelet-Les Halles, I do not recommend that route.

It's a maze of shops and corridors and the directional signage is atrocious. I've been there many times and still don't always get out the exit I want to.