Paris Metro and safety in Paris

Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:18 AM
Tom

Paris Metro and safety in Paris

We are going to Paris in Mid March.. We would like to know about the safety of the metro (even late at night). One travel book we read said to avoid the "tough" parts of Paris (on the Metro) after rush hour. Does anyone know of these "rough" areas. We will be staying near the ROME Metro stop. Is this a safe area. Any comments on Metro travel and the "ROME" stop will be appreciated.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 11:06 AM
elaine

I can't speak to the relative safety of the area, but I have to say that your hotel is not in a location I would choose. Not only are you far from the center in terms of walking, but even on the metro you will have to transfer metro lines at least once every time in order to get to the usual tourist areas.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 12:20 PM
xxx

Les Halles is not a particularly desirable stop, stay or night.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 01:13 PM
Christina

I suppose the safety of the Parisian metro late at night is about the same as most large cities; occasional incidents but not a whole lot. That's not much of a guidebook to tell you that but give you no clue where the "tough" neighborhoods are. Mostly I think they are on the Right Bank in the farther out or less elegant quartiers (parts of the 10-11, 17-18th arrondisements are areas I know of and have heard of violent crime and muggings), around most rail stations, around Les Halles. Frankly, the Rome metro stop is not in the greatest area, the NE part of arr. 17 is rather dicey and not so nice in many parts, and there are some sex-related activities and shops to the east and SE of that stop. I know that area a little as there are musical instrument and sheet music shops on rue de Rome, probably the best in Paris, actually. Don't suppose you're interested, but just in case, French sheet music is one real bargain in Paris, if you normally must import it (eg, from Durand et cie)--La Flute de Pan at 49 rue de Rome is about the best such store in Paris. That's just a big business-y street, at least in that part. I wouldn't worry a lot if you are right near the Rome metro stop (although I haven't been around there at night), it's just an odd area of Paris to choose for both convenience and ambience, I think. You can get some bargain hotels in the 17th arr, but it's best to choose ones south of ave de Villiers and east of Wagram.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 01:42 PM
george

I have spent a lot of time in Paris over the last 15 years. Last weeek I left the apartment of friendsafter dnner on Avenue Victor Hugo and as it was such a beautiful evening I decided instead of taking a taxi, I would walk up to the Arc and take the metro to the friend I was staying with. Walking thru the tunnels a young man pushed me from behind and then tried to trip me up. This was at about midnight. Luckily a young Frenchman saw what was happening an pushed the attacker away.Not a pleasant experience but maybe I should have taken a taxi. Just be careful