Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Marathon... What is Paris like and where to go?

Old Mar 18th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Barry

I will be in Paris on the weekend of the Paris Marathon. How big does it get, and are there any special carnivale type things that are not to be missed?

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 07:45 AM
also

I'm sending this to the top in hopes that someone answers your question! We'll be there also.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 01:28 PM
Melissa

Hi Barry, I ran the Paris Marathon a couple of years ago and I can tell you that there are no big public events--other than the expo and the marathon itself--related to the marathon. Are you going as a runner or a spectator? It was definitely one of the coolest things I've ever done in my life. Two years ago, the participation was at about 22,000; I assume the participation has swelled considerably since then (especially since this is the year 2000).
Just be aware that many streets will be closed to traffic for most of the day due to the event. So get around by metro and don't book any city bus tours!
If you need more info on it, feel free to email me.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 03:53 PM
Just-A Walker

Curious - when IS the Paris marathon?

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 04:05 PM
Lesli

It's Sunday, April 9th. Scheduled to begin at 9:00 am and last nearly 6 hours. I'll be there then, too - may use that day to get out of the city via RER or train....

For more info: http://www.parismarathon.com/us/index.html