Paris - Marais - hotel location

Feb 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Paris - Marais - hotel location

I am trying to narrow down my choice for a hotel / rental on the first leg of my honeymoon. I am looking to stay in the Marais but am not sure which is the best location. None of the hotels or rentals really jumped out at me so I am going to judge more by location. Also, has anyone stayed in any of these places or if you want to recommend another... i'd be much oblidged. Thanks in advance.

The first is a rental on rue Temple and sainte-croix de la Bretonnerie:
http://www.specialapartments.com/Temple.html

2. Hotel Bretonnerie
on merri bretonnerie and rue vielle du temple
http://www.bretonnerie.com/

3. Apartment right at corner of Rue Petit Musc and Rue Charles V.
http://www.vrbo.com/116105

4. hotel Castex
on Rue castex and rue saint-antoine
http://www.castexhotel.com/

5. Apartment - still waiting for exact location
http://www.vrbo.com/2164

Also, this seemed like a pretty interesting place to stay - not sure about the location though - can anyone comment.
http://stayingafloatinparis.site.voila.fr/
Feb 20th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Weekender

The Bretonnerie is a very nice hotel with a great location in the heart of the Marais. The junior suites are spacious and well priced as are the charming rooms. One caveat-may not be air-conditioned.

Feb 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM

When are you going on this trip? I think the Bretonnerie is a good choice, but it doesn't have AC, although I don't think any of those apts do, either. Often people look at the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais as another option in that neighborhood. It is a little more expensive, but does have AC.

The last apt. looks okay, I guess, although I'm not crazy about ground-floor apartments. At least it isn't right on the street, though, but inside a courtyard. HOw much does that boat cost? It isn't anywhere near the Marais. I wouldn't think that is a very convenient option (I don't like boats very much myself, find being inside small dark boats downstairs depressing), but that isn't any location where I'd want to stay in Paris. It's near Gare d'Austerlitz and the hospital. I'd also not be interesting in the getting on/off the boat business (of course it is moored down below so you have to walk down to it as the Seine isn't at street level).
Feb 20th, 2007, 09:40 AM

oh, I was going to say that first apt. is fairly unappealing to me, but I wouldn't consider one where I had to basically climb a ladder to get to bed. That is just a mattress on the floor, also, and isn't a real bedroom, but just a space (they probably added that floor into the older apartment) where they put a mattress and the space is the same size.
Feb 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

I will be in Paris the last few days of May and first few days of June. Is AC usually needed at that time? I'll check some weather stats now - but how hot does the city get in early June?
The boat is 140 e per night. How far away is it from everything?
How is the location for the Rue Petit Musc and Rue Charles V apartemtnt?
Feb 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM

I'd suggest you search these forums for "petit musc" because I think this very apartment has been discussed here before. As I recall, the person concerned went for somewhere else that they very much enjoyed, which is not necessarily to say there's anything wrong with this one, just that it's not the most exciting part of the world.

Corner of rue Castex and rue St Antoine is likely to be quite noisy, since rue St Antoine is a main road at that point. There may be rooms facing an interior courtayrd that are quiet (I don't know the hotel), but you'll need to ask.

The apartment you don't know the location of might (I'm guessing from the website description) be nearer the Pompidou centre or les Halles than the place des Vosges end of the Marais: so make sure you get an exact address, so you can be sure.
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM

I thought that apt. was probably the same one that had been discussed before (Petit Musc), but it isn't. Or if it is, it doesn't look anything like the other pictures.

I wouldn't say you usually need AC at the end of May/beg. of June, no, but didn't know at all when you were going. Some people want it then because they are afraid of an unusual heat wave, but it wouldn't worry me. I would worry more at the end of June, not the beginning.

Do you have a map of Paris? I guess if you did, you could see where Gare d'Austerlitz is and could tell how far from things it was. It's also near the Jardin des Plantes, that area along the Seine in that location does not have any cafes, restaurants or anything, as far as I know, it is strictly city land (parks and the zoo) and the rail station, and then you have land belonging to the university of Paris and the Institut du Monde Arabe. It's quite a ways to any area with a lot of people and cafes, etc. around, or where people live. Of course, there are some people living down on those houseboats just like they are renting, of course. It's about 800 meters to the bridge on the end of Ile St Louis from about where I think that boat is. So I guess that's about eight big blocks, more or less to that point. It's around 1200 meters to Notre Dame according to my map, which is about .75 mile. That's about the distance to get anywhere you'd want to hang out, I'd think. At least it would be for me. It's closer to St Marcel metro stop and there are some cute small ethnic restaurants around there, but I bet it's not where you are going to want to be.
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM

My husband I were ecstatic staying at
wwwvrbo.com75429. Studio owned by a guy from Atlanta and associated with a hotel
close by which can provide info and guidance.

HOpe you find what you like. Enjoy! Tania
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM

sorry, didn't mention it is in the heart of Marais
Feb 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM

Hi alaspina. I just booked the following apt for Aug (it has AC). It is also in the Marais. While I can't recommend it yet first hand, there have been some positive reviews of it so far;

bienvenueaparis.com

Feb 20th, 2007, 07:16 PM

alaspina, I'll be in Paris the exact time you will and had the same question about a/c. Since you are asking about it, I assume you use, and probably like a/c when it's hot/humid.

I searched extensively...

Bottom line, get something with a/c.
Feb 21st, 2007, 10:50 AM

Hi alaspina
My brother-in-law and some friends stayed at the Hotel Castex two years ago and found it very comfortable and reasonably priced. I visited them when they were there and was impressed with the decor, friendliness and service. It is very central and on a quiet street. Breakfast is not included in the price but is available for about $12.00.
Rue St Antoine is busy but Castex is not. It is a short walk to Place des Vosges and Place de Bastille. I would certainly recommend it.
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM

I think Alaspina's Petit Musc apt is different from the one Christina and Patrick had in mind.

I was considering a different, very inexpensive, dark Marais studio on Rue Petit Musc (65 E.night) and ended up going with a nice studio on Rue Saintonge although it's only available in the third week of May. http://www.vrbo.com/28993

I think the Rue Petit Musc apt looks good for the price although I'd rather not be on the ground floor.

The Rue du Temple apt -- looks like you'd hit your head on the wood beams if you sat up in bed.

The last apt is a very inexpensive option if those are USD prices since the owners appear to be in the US.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. Just curious - but what is the major problem with first floor apartments. I'm currently still looking, but haven't been excited by anything yet.

Fishee: that apartment was actually one I wanted due to the windows, but it isn't available.

namaka: That apartment is only avail for 7 night min - i emailed the owner anyway but...

taniaroth: That apartment is also unavailable according to the calendar. Too bad.

AC - I am not worried to much about AC - just those hot sticky days that keep you from sleeping, but at the beginning of June i think i'll be ok without.

Boat - I just thought it would be a novelty - but it definitely seems to far from things.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM

If you are referring to something I said (which I think I did), it wasn't first floor but ground floor apartments I don't like. I've lived in them, and don't like them, but I really don't think I'd like one in an area I didn't know and hadn't viewed ahead of time.

I don't like them because it makes me nervous as it is obviously very easy for someone to break in, and I don't like them if they are on a street or area where people are walking by your windows right in front of you. They are not as desirable for most people, so I think others feel the same way, and they usually have lower rents in Paris, at least for similar quality as others.

This is just a personal opinion, obviously, if you don't care at all, it shouldn't affect you.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:17 PM

Hi alaspina-

I stayed at the Hotel Bretonnerie a few years ago. The location was great and our room was very romantic-looking, with a canopy bed. Like many French beds, ours was a bit smaller than an American double so we felt a bit cramped. This might be an issue if the weather is hot.

Also, because the decor included so much fabric, there was a pervasive smell of cigarette smoke in the room. If this bothers you,it might kill the romance. Maybe someone who has been there recently can comment on whether this is still a problem. We found great L'Occitane incense at a cool home furnishings store across the street to offset this. On the plus side, it really is a lovely hotel and the bathroom/tub was wonderful!

To add to your list: Here is the Marais apartment I have on my wish list:http://www.elzevir.net/ It is a little pricey but looks soooo chic and comfortable.

Have a great honeymoon!!

Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I agree with all your reasons for not wanting a ground floor apartment and would of course rather something else.
That said, I am beginning to lean towards the Rue Petit Musc apt because they also have a deal with a hotel across the street for any problems and concierge service. Does that area have good shops and restaurants?

I found that this one is available but its in the northern part of the Marais -
any thoughts on this location or dealing with Paris Hideaways.
http://studio.provaction.com/paris/chezjulieuk2.html

Which section of the Marais is better, Saint Paul or Square du temple?
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM

That Chez Julie attic apt is very cute and cozy looking, just a lot of friggin stairs to get to that top floor. (I also like the look of the Esmerelda studio that Parishideaways offers -- also with a ton of stairs.) Can't tell how their windows are situated but usually top floor apartments are well-lit. Attic apts can have fewer windows however.

The neighborhood is nice yet a little on the quiet side -- Rue du Bretagne is a cute bustling street of shops and services, although much of it closes by around 9 pm (at least in the winter, perhaps hours shift in the Spring, not sure)
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

The exact location of this apartment:
http://www.vrbo.com/2164

is 40 rue chapon.

any thoughts on that street.
Mar 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Author: taniaroth ([email protected])
Date: 02/20/2007, 05:37 pm
My husband I were ecstatic staying at
wwwvrbo.com75429. Studio owned by a guy from Atlanta and associated with a hotel
close by which can provide info and guidance.

HOpe you find what you like. Enjoy! Tania