Paris/Lyon in February

Search

Paris/Lyon in February

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris/Lyon in February

My husband and I plan to go to Paris for a long weekend in February. We have been to
Paris many times so this trip thought we would spend 2 of the nights in Lyon, the remaining time in Paris. It appears that it will be easy to reach by train. I am hoping the weather will not be too harsh. Would love the thoughts and suggestions of Fodorites.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM

I've gone, but in November. Train from CDG was quick and easy. I like Lyon. I spent 4 night there adnd felt I could have done more. Good food of course. No need for a car.

Old Town & the Traboules, Roman amphitheatre, Gallo-Roman museum, the Montees up Fourviere, Place Bellecour, Croix Rousse, Place des Terreaux, Place Sathonay, Museum of Fine Arts, City Hall,etc...
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Absolutely go to Lyon! Wonderful, manageable city with possibly the best food in France. I enjoyed my stay at the hotel La Résidence in the pedestrian area near the Place Bellecour. Took the metro a few times and walked all over. Great choice for a quick getaway from Paris.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Any chance you could move the weekend up to early December? If so, Lyon has one of the most amazing attractions you'll find anywhere, the Festival of Lights (usually for 4 nights, starting on Dec 8). The city is filled with installations of sound and light shows, and the entire downtown becomes a family-friendly festival. Not real well-known outside of France, but a great, great treat.

Don

Owner ... Don Topaz Travel
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

You all are being very helpful. Unfortunately, the timing of our trip is locked in, but we will keep the Festival of Lights in mind for the future. Please keep the feedback and
suggestions coming!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 05:08 PM

bookmarking
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM

I stayed at La Residence as well and while I liked the hotel, I would not recommend it over a weekend. The area around the hotel was really dead with stores and restaurants closed. I believe they were closed from after lunch on Saturday through Sunday but someone could probably give you more detail on that.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:00 PM

There is a beautiful church up on the hill: Basilica of Notre Dame de Fourviere. A must see. Google it and look at some pictures of it. Someone also has posted a video on youtube.

There is a French church in San Francisco whose design is based on the Basilica in Lyon. It looks like a little copy of the one in Lyon. It's name is Notre Dame des Victories. It is on Bush Street across from the Stockton Street Garage. I love this little church so when we had a trip to Lyon, I knew I must see the Basilica.

Be sure to bring exact change for the little train (or whatever it is) up the hill because the bar next door to the station does not like to make change.

We loved the food!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Echoing the other recommendations to go to Lyon for 2 nights. Whilst it's true the shopping district (around the pedestrian area) closes in the afternoon (later, around 4-5pm) on Saturday and stays closed for the most part on Sunday (and Monday morning), I suspect you're not going to Lyon solely for shopping. So staying central there will be good to access the train station and to walk around the city.

Lyon is a great town, plenty to see and eat! As has been mentioned, the food is a highlight. The Old Town is great for finding Bistrots, restaurants and even an Irish Pub (the St James). There are a plethora of Bistrots with different service levels, but you'll be able to pick which ones to go with, just by wandering past and checking the menu at the front. If you want to go a little more upmarket and do the Paul Bocuse (and friends) thing, then book well ahead (check online for opening times and bookings).

The weather in February is grey, misty and cold, so good thing the food is hot! Seasonal produce is the way to go too. If you want to check out the food market, then Halles de Lyons is the place to go. The market hall is brimming with stalls offering all types of produce (and samples!) AFAIK, the halls are open daily from 7am to 7pm with a 2hr break for lunch (I love France!), and you can get lost amongst the cheese stalls alone.

All the places above to visit are good recommendations as well, so I guess you're going to Lyon!
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your helpful responses. I am excited about visiting Lyon. I now have to decide which hotel and must decide among the many restaurants. For hotel, I am open to suggestions but am thinking about the Sofitel Bellecour (sp?) or the Cour des Loges (at that time of year, perhaps I
could get a favorable rate??). In terms of dining, we do
not plan to dine at the starred restaurants, but probably will focus more on the bouchons. Suggestions anyone?
Thank you in advance.