Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris Lodging - nice, clean, inexpensive (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-lodging-nice-clean-inexpensive-259704/)

Josh Sep 20th, 2002 12:13 PM

Paris Lodging - nice, clean, inexpensive

I'm a student visiting Paris with a friend for New Years. I am looking for a nice, inexpensive hotel (under 90 euros a night) that is clean and near the touristy areas.<BR><BR>I have located a few places near the Gare de Nord (where I am arriving via Eurostar) which are around 80 a night. I don't know much about this area regarding safety, things to do, and if its a decent area to stay.<BR><BR>I would appreciate any lodging suggestions or tips. <BR><BR>Thanks

Fred Sep 20th, 2002 01:09 PM

Many, many of them. Gare de Nord not the area to stay in. Some are Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles, Hotel Louvre Forum, Hotel St. Roche, Hotel du Lys , Le Homme Latin , Hotel Familia.For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Jim Rosenberg Sep 20th, 2002 01:17 PM

Josh, the metro will give you access to all of the tourist areas you want. You can often get more for your money if you put a little distance between yourself and the major sites. <BR><BR>Gare du Nord would not be my choice of a great place to stay because I think you can find nicer neighborhoods for close to the same money. I don't regard it as inherently "unsafe", but let's just say it has more ragged edges compared to many alternatives.<BR><BR>I generally stay in the neighborhood of Place de la Nation, which is a straight shot on the metro to the heart of Paris, but allows me to stay in a nice hotel for less money. I prefer to leave most of the tourists behind at the end of the day. There is a wide range of restaurants that are far less expensive; it is just more of a functional Parisien neighborhood, IMHO. There, I can easily stay in a 3-star for under 100 Euros/night.<BR><BR>I think you would also enjoy something in the Latin Quarter or St. Germain des Pres. There are some very high-priced digs, particularly in the latter, but there are some others that aren't too costly. The difference between those neighborhoods and the Gare du Nord area is VERY significant.

Beth Sep 20th, 2002 01:38 PM

http://www.alpinekleinfamily.homestead.com/hotels.html<BR><BR>some good comments about the Printemps mentioned in another post recently topped for you.

Wendy Sep 20th, 2002 01:43 PM

Josh, I was there last year for NYE and will recommend that you stay someplace within walking distance to your evenings festivities. We stayed near Gare du Nord and ended up walking home all the way from Pl. de Concord area. Very far especially after drinking and walking around all ready. The metro closes around 1 and you can not get a cab to save your life! very fun though!!

Jim Rosenberg Sep 20th, 2002 02:30 PM

I was there NYE last year too. Lordy! Was that YOU!!! ;o)

Christina Sep 20th, 2002 02:37 PM

I think Wendy has very good points which I hadn't thought of -- you will need to walk back at the end of the evening, don't count on metro that night for lots of reasons. So, the area around Gare du Nord is too far away and just not that nice, really. <BR><BR>The 12th as Jim suggests is a cheaper area, but of course, there are lots of cheaper hotels around the 11th, the Bastille area, and there is lots going on there on NY eve, I suggest you look at that: Hotel Castex, Malher, check out www.timeout.com for a few good choices in that area or elsewhere.<BR><BR>The Latin Qtr around Sorbonne also has some cheap hotels and there is lots going on around there, so another good choice: Hotel Cujas Pantheon is one possibility or the Hotel d'Albe (warning that hotel is RIGHT near the Seine on rue de la Harpe and espec on NY Eve you had better want to be in the action to stay there). <BR><BR>I believe the hotel Fred mentions above is incorrect (Le Homme Latin). In French, that should be l'homme, but I am guessing he might have heard reference to the hotel "Le HOME Latin" on rue Sommerard. It's decent looking on the outside and an okay location, used to be recommended in a few guidebooks but I haven't heard much about it lately. The Latin Qtr has more budget hotels than St-Germain.

Wendy Sep 20th, 2002 03:29 PM

Jim, I was the one with the bottle of champagne and the big grin on my face!<BR><BR>:)

Jim Rosenberg Sep 20th, 2002 03:51 PM

(sing together): Ah, yes! I remember it welllllll. ;-)

Tricia Sep 20th, 2002 03:53 PM

I was in Paris last weekend and we stayed at the hotel des grands balcons (close to st.germain) it was 110 euros the location was great maybe you could get it for less. The room was more than I expected.

Lisa Sep 24th, 2002 09:02 AM

You can get a double for 90 Euros at Hotel des Grands Balcons -- but reserve your rooms directly through them. 10 Euros for Breakfast if you want it.