Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   paris---les halles (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-les-halles-853375/)

KYJudy Aug 6th, 2010 08:18 AM

paris---les halles

I'm considering taking RER fm CDG (10am) to les Halles metro interchange but have read that it's be avoided esp. schlepping a bag. Is there more than one level at this station and multiple passageways where I might be overwhelmed after an overnight flight? I had hoped to get to metro Geo V via les halles. Maybe I should just take Air France bus+cab. Opinions pls.

Carlux Aug 6th, 2010 08:31 AM

Chatelet-Les Halles is supposedly the BIGGEST station in Europe. The Les Halles Metro station is linked to the Chatelet Metro and the Chatelet RER station.

We have at times walked what seemed like miles in this station, and I personally would avoid ever having to do it again. That said, I haven't been there for a long time - for that very reason.

Christina Aug 6th, 2010 08:32 AM

I think there are multiple levels in all the big stations, in fact, even in the metro stations there are often more than one level. And they all have multiple passageways.

Christina Aug 6th, 2010 08:36 AM

oh, what would I do? depends on how much you are shlepping and how good you are with doing things like that. If it is just one bag literally, and it is 22" or less, it wouldn't bother me, but I'm used to the metro stations and there are lots of signs as far as I'm concerned. I never get confused in them, it just may be that you walk a ways.

I don't think a cab is going to want to get you from the Etoile to George V metro, that's only a couple blocks, that would not make sense. In fact, it could easily be a shorter walk than you'd walk within the Chatelet/Les Halles station.

Suzanne2 Aug 6th, 2010 08:52 AM

Why not take the AF Bus and walk to the metro station?

KYJudy Aug 6th, 2010 09:04 AM

TY all............after reading yr replies, I'll take AF bus and walk as I only have one 22" bag+light backpack.
Maybe I'll ck. out that big station at a time when I'm more relaxed and better oriented in Paris; I'll be there a month. I may take TGV to Aix; would I get the train at les Halles/Chatelet?

kerouac Aug 6th, 2010 09:39 AM

Arriving on the RER B at Châtelet-Les Halles entails 1 escalator to the interchange level. Once you are in this big area, you follow the signs to line 1 (also lines 7, 11, 14). After the metro turnstiles (same ticket that you used at CDG), you take the moving walkway. At the other end is line 1, direction La Défense for George V. I don't understand why people think it is such a big deal.

Suzanne2 Aug 6th, 2010 09:46 AM

We use the Les Halles metro station fairly often. It is big and bustling but the signs are clear so there is no confusion.

In this case though I think it would be so much easier to just take the bus. It stops very near to where she is going.

PatrickLondon Aug 6th, 2010 09:53 AM

For Aix-en-Provence, trains leave from the Gare de Lyon. Don't forget you get better fares if you book in advance.

modglila Aug 6th, 2010 01:29 PM

I thought there was a lot of walking at the Chatelet station, but it was very clearly marked. We used it several times to get from place-to-place, but never with luggage. The stations that don't require much walking don't go very many places. :-) We did haul our luggage through Saint Lazare and I thought that was stressful, but I always think lugging luggage is stressful no matter where you are; knowing which exit to use at the metros would have been helpful. I wish I had the money to just take a cab when luggage is involved.

Suzanne2 Aug 6th, 2010 02:17 PM

The nice thing about the AF buses is they store your luggage under the bus for you. Unfortunately, they only have a few stops so they are not always convenient.