Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris-Le Grand Intercontinental OR Hotel Lutece on I'le St. Louis?

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's in interesting dilema. We will be in Paris for 2 nights in August. I was all set to book a room at Hotel Lutece on I'le St. Louis, based on so many recommendations (and it is available!), when my DH informed me that with his Priority Club points, we can stay for free at the Paris-Le Grand Hotel (Intercontinental). I so love the location of the Lutec, and being able to walk to the things we want to see in our short visit. However, I love the price of Le Grand, even though I know we'd get a basic room there, and the location isn't as conventient for what we want to see. Is this a no brainer? Take the free room and use the metro?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:38 AM
Neopolitan

Yes, I'd take the free room. And the walking distances are kind of a toss up -- depending on where all you're walking to. Each hotel is convenient to various things distance-wise.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:54 AM

While I liked staying at the Lutece and on the Ile St. Louis, I'd choose the free room at the Grand Intercontinental in this case.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:33 AM

Hi,

I actually faced this same dilemma in February. I was meeting a friend in Paris. I wanted to stay in I'le St. Louis, but she wanted to be near the Opera and shopping. I ended up spending a night before she arrived in the Hotel des Deux-Îles on Ile St. Louis (a sister hotel to the Lutece which was closed for reservations), then used my husband's frequent hotel miles to stay free with my friend at the Le Grand Intercontinental.

If you love to shop, my girlfriend was ectastic that the Grand Intercontinental was across the street from Galleries Lafayette and Printemps so we could take frequent shopping breaks and leave shopping bags in the room. No more schleping everything home on the metro.

However, if you're not into shopping and you only have two days, I'd pay for a stay at the Lutece and use my miles another time. Ile St. Louis is so charming and so close to historical Paris. I love the short walk to the Seine, Latin Quarter, and the Marais. If you love to wander and experience Old Paris, I'd pick the Lutece.

Staying at the Grand was like staying at a luxury hotel in a business district of a major city (which it is You're surrounded by shopping, cars, crowds and its hard to find a cafe with the charm of the ones on Ile St. Louis or the Left Bank.

One other thing to remember, even though the stay is free, the Hotel (like most luxury hotels) nickels and dimes you to death. 18 euros for the staff to empty the mini-bar to store your drinks (never heard of that charge before), 40 euros for continental breakfast in your room, 25 euros for a drink in the bar. The service is immpeccable though. When I checked out it was raining, so the doorman carried my luggage and held an umbrella over me for the block walk to the Roissybus. And the concierge is very helpful procuring Opera tickets, etc.

If you want more info, here's a link of a LONG review that I wrote on my stay with detailed descriptions of the rooms and facilities.

http://www.parisescapes.com/paris_sl...ntinental.html

Have a great trip, Cheryl

Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM

We stayed at the Paris LeGrand Hotel in March and absolutely loved it. It's clean, gorgeous and we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I would definitely pick this hotel and then to be free on top of it. What a great bargain!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM

Hi Caroline, I have stayed at the Intercontinental Le Grand, and loved it. The staff was indeed wonderful for my stay also. We went to the buffet breakfast. I don't recall the price--but ooh la la--what a selection! (I am quite sure it was nowhere near the price Cheryl paid for the room service breakfast, so I recommend getting dressed and out to the dining room! We had dinner at the Royal Madeline nearby, and enjoyed it, if that info helps. LOVED the HUGE bathroom too! Have a great trip whatever you decide!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:27 PM

I recently saw a television special on the renovation of Le Grand, and it looked wonderful. You'll be quite near the métro and able to get everywhere you want in short order while staying at an historic hotel with beautiful rooms.