Paris/Lauterbrunnen Valley or Gimmelwald/Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaving Paris and would like to see the Alps of Switzerland. Afterwards, I am taking a train into Cinque Terre.

My question:
1. Where (Lauterbrunnen Valley or Gimmelwald) has the best view of the Alps? If you were to leave Paris, where which destination would you pick? I can only go to one of them.

2. There are several hiking/activities to do in either LV or G, but I have only 2 days to spend at my destination. What is the ultimate MUST-DO for a visitor in either locations?

After spending time in either locations, do you think it is still necessary to go to Interlaken? Do you think it is still necessary to take those scenic trains? Glacia express? Golden pass? etc.?

I will be using Eurorail (3 countries in 2 month) to travel in the month of May/June.

Thank you!
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Regarding the best view, you can decide for yourself, because there is a cable car that goes from the floor of the Lauterbrunnen Valley to Gimmelwald in a few minutes. You can easily see both. I like the view from the valley floor looking up. But other people like being up top looking down (or at the sky).

Interlaken is now mainly a very crowded transit point for people heading to other places in the Alps. You will probably pass through it, but there is little reason to stay there unless it's convenient.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM

As Zeppole explained, Gimmelwald and Lauterbrunnen are essentiall the same destination. Gimmelwald is perched on a cliff above the Lauterbrunnen Valley. You will pas through Interlaken on your way there, but no need to stop.

You can do the same hikes from Gimmelwald or Lauterbrunnen. so your choice could be decided by where you can find accomodations that please you (Gimmelwald has very few), and whether you would rather be up high or in the valley looking up at cliffs and waterfalls.

You should also consider the amount of snow or mud you might encounter in the higher areas, since they are having a late spring.

The Gimmelwald website has a good list of hikes, with descriptions:

http://www.gimmelwald.ch/en/activities/hiking.htm

Some may still be partly covered with snow in June.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know if it will fit into your plans, but there is a revolving restaurnt called "Piz Gloria" atop the Gornegraut(bad spelling) where you look out at The Eiger,The Monch, and The Jungfrau----stunning views from the restaurant and its deck. You go up from Interlaken on a train & cable car or you can hike part of the way.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I see. So Gimmelwald is actually above LV. Good to know

I might stay at Gimmelwald and do some sight-seeing in LV by using the cable car. That being said, do you think it is necessary to take scenic trains (Golden pass, etc.) into these places or would the view by being in Gimmelwald/LV (and some hiking) suffice? In other words, from Paris/LV or G/Cinque Terre train ride, are there any train view worth booking a special scenic train? Or would I have seen it all by being in LV/G?
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:50 PM

No need to take a special "scenic train". They are all quite scenic! to get from Gimmelwald/Lauterbrunnen to Cinque Terre, you would head west and then south via Brig and into Milan. You could see some spectacular mountains and the Aletschgletscher (Europe's largest glacier) a short detour from Brig (a few hours, say) if you have time.

www.eggishorn.ch
www.bettmeralp.ch

You can view the routes (including into Italy) at www.rail.ch (for English) or www.sbb.ch if you want French or German.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding!

I checked out the schedules for traveling. My goodness, from Paris into G/LV requires changes at least 5 times through the NIGHT. For G/LV into Cinque Terre, requires more transferring through the night.

Has anyone does this before? I have never transferred around transportation 5-7 times throughout one night---by the time you get to your final destination, how are you going to have a good night sleep? You are going to be so exhausted?!

Maybe I did not read the charts correctly, but I think I did. Any suggestions?
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Hobbit, I think you may overestimate the size of this area. Think of a narrow gorge with a river running through it. There are 2 cliffs on either side.

Lauterbrunnen sits next to the river and can be walked from one end to the other in 10 minutes. Above Lauterbrunnen, high on the cliffs, are Wengen, Gimmelwald, Murren, etc. These places can be reached by either BOB, the Berner Oberland train, or by "ski lift." You must pass through Lauterbrunnen to get to any of the higher villages. To get to Lauterbrunnen, you must pass through Interlaken which lies downstream on the same river, 15 minutes by train.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Lauterbrunnen is a small village. You will spend most of your time up IN the mountains.

You will make several changes but most are done quickly in very small train stations. I did it in June and did it during the day.
Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken--less than 30 minutes
Interlaken to Spiez--less than 30 min.
Spiez to Milan--your biggest station
MIlan to La Spezia
La Spezia to your CT village on the local train that connects all the villages.

Both destinations are completely worth it.
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Originally, I was aiming for night trains b/c I was under the impression that I can sleep at night on the train and wake up in a new town.

But since I will be awake (transferring) throughout the night, I realize that it might be better to just take the day time train (if there's any) so that I can see something along the way.

Suggestions?
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I think Cinque Terre is out of my way. From Cinque Terre, I am going to go to Venice--> Florence--> Rome--> Paris--> London--> US.

Originally, my initial plan was to do the following: US-->London--> Paris--> Geneva--> Milan--> Venice--> Florence--> Rome--> Paris--> London--> US.

But I realize that Milan/Geneva does not sound that fascinating relative to Cinque Terre/Gimmelwald. Thus, I am thinking of changing my schedule. It is impossible to change the time anything post Venice b/c I have already made Florence museum reservations. In addition, I have already booked my return ticket from Paris to London.

Sorry to bother you with these details. But I think I am up for the cross-continental hopping or do you think I should take out Cinque Terre?

I think I will take the day train b/c there are fewer transfers and they won't mess with my biological clock---if I don't have a good night sleep, I get really cranky
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Hello again, night trains---the true night trains---are for traveling between major destinations (cities). They go without changing trains so you can sleep. They will not work to get you to Gimmelwald or Lauterbrunnen, although you might be able to to go Paris to Bern on a night train (although that is a fairly short journey) and then do the rest in the early morning.

Don't worry about a journey with 4 or 5 train changes in Switzerland. The schedule is set up so that arrivals and departures are coordinated. You arrive at one station, and have 4 to 5 minutes to transfer to the next train. Often you just have to cross one platform; if not you just take the tunnel to the right platform and find the train waiting there.

As for taking out Cinque Terre---all I know is my son who lived for a year in Florence was disappointed on his last visit (2007). He said the place had lost its soul. But he was very happy to spend time in Switzerland, where we met up.

If you go early in the season to Cinque Terre it might be fine. But he said they weary of tourists early in the summer, and then it is not the same as it was. . .
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:57 AM

The Bernese Oberland is a big -- and time-consuming -- detour from your original itinerary. Instead of staying in Geneva you could stay in Montreux or Lausanne or Vevey, also on Lake Geneva. And instead of staying in Milan you could go up to Lake Como or Lago Maggiore (Stresa or Locarno) or Lugano. These lakes, half of which are in Switzerland, are at the southern base of the Alps. It's not cute little Gimmelwald, high up in Heidi-land, but still very beautiful destinations. From central Locarno, you can take a 3-leg trip by funicular/gondola/ski lift up to the mountain above. Or take the postal bus deep into the mountains to the Val Verzasca.

I think you're succumbing to the all-too-prevalent urge to add more and more destinations to your trip. You see a pretty picture; I have to there. Then you see a beautiful travelog; gotta go there. Put your itinerary on a diet; expect to come back.
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

After much contemplation, I have decided on the following:

US--> London--> Paris--> Gimmelwald--> Milan--> Venice--> Florence--> Naples/Pompeii--> Rome--> Paris--> London--> US

Will be taking a lot of side trips to the countryside (Bath, Edinburgh, Loch Lomond, Normandy, Tuscany Hills, etc.)

I checked the train site. If I travel during the day, the transfers are not horrible-- 3 to 4 transfers.

Best wishes!
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM

Hi hobbitthefoodlover,

Oh gosh, I hope you will consider buying an Open-Jaw air ticket (or have you already bought it?). If you fly into London and out of Rome, you will save yourself quite a bit of back-tracking -- a huge savings in both time and money.

Open Jaw tickets are usually not much more than a straight round-trip; they may be only about $100 more, if that. You can find them looking at the "multiple city" search function on the airlines' sites.

Good luck!

s
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM

You do know the Eurail pass doesn't apply to Great Britain? I don't know if it applies to part of the Eurostar from London to Paris or to no part of that trip. The Eurostar (under the channel) is the best way from London to Paris, but can get very expensive if bought at the last minute. I'd reserve it now.

3 or 4 train transfers. That's going to be a lot of up and down stairs between tracks. Travel light and be able to carry (not drag) your bags
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for looking out for me I am touched!

I kick myself for not buying the multi-city airplane ticket. I could have flown out of Rome into the US!

But then, I am returning to London to see a good college friend whom I have not seen in 7 years! Will be spending 2 days with her. She could not meet in the beginning of my Europe tour.

Yes. I do know that Europass does not cover England. Yes. I have purchased the Eurostar London <-> Paris roundrip already.

Btw, while I stay in Paris, I want to go to the following locations: Normandy, Monet's Garden, Lubernon (French Countryside). The europass will cover these trips, right? I once heard that europass will not work in the paris station, is it true? In sum, I can travel from Paris into the Normandy, Monet's Garden, and Lubernon, right?

Best wishes!
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:58 AM

The transfers in Switzerland did NOT require going down stairs and back up. They are so efficient--you get one train and get on the next right next door. The timing is incredible too. Another great feature of Swiss stations--usually the train and the station platform are level with each other. You just walk and roll your bag on.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Five years ago we did Paris - Lauterbrunnen - Lake Como. We took the high-speed train Paris - Geneva, then changed train for Interlaken,, then the local train to Lauterbrunnen. The trip was fascinating - we loved every minute of gazing at the gorgeous scenery from those train windows. We also loved Lauterbrunnen and would love to go back. It makes a wonderful base for getting around the Bernese Oberland, as the train line ends right in the town. We felt like we saved a lot of travel time since we could just walk to the station in 2 minutes, hop a train and go to Wengen or Grindelwald, or cable to Murren and Gimmelwald. Plus the setting is incredibly breathtaking.
From Lauterbrunnen, we took the train to Interlaken, then had to change once more before arriving in Milan. Once again, the ride was spectacular. From Milan we took the local train to Varenna on Lake Como.
I wouldn't change one minute of that trip. Wish I could sneak into your suitcase!
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Hagan---you are too adorable; "wish I could sneak into your suitcase!" That's definitely going to go on the website that I make for this trip!

I have decided to stay in Lauterbrunnen. Will be making a day trip to Jungfrau.

So far, it is Paris--> Bern (have lunch and walk around the Capital for a few hours)--> Lauterbrunnen sleep. Will stay in Lauterbrunnen for 4 nights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -