Paris Latin Quarter restaurants?

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Latin Quarter restaurants?

We'll have four nights in Paris in mid-October, staying in the 5th. I know it's a touristy area, and would like to avoid obvious tourist traps. Don't need haute cuisine, we tend to prefer a nice bistro, but we're up for anything. Also like a good bar or cafe--my husband likes beer better than wine. Might consider one "special" night, and would definitely consider ethnic food of all types--in fact we will try to get a falafel over in the Marais while there. Our hotel provides breakfast, so I'm assuming we'll get our croissant fix.

I've got a whole list of places in the area, but I thought I'd ask for personal recommendations from this community.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 07:03 AM

We like Le Christine. Small bistro-type place, good food.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 07:14 AM

I liked
Cafe Bouillu, ecole de Medecine
Trois carafes rue linné
Saigon Pantheon rue descartes (asian food obvisouly)

Have fun
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 07:21 AM

We always stay at Hotel Parc St. Severin in the 5th and have lots of favorites there. Among them are:

Chez Rene—a nice walk down Blvd. St. Germain (at #14), nearly to the end by the river. Lyonnaise cooking in a very traditional room with great service. I love the Saucisson chaude with potatoes or lentils

Petite Pontoise—a tiny little place (gets warm, so either eat outside—where there isn’t a great view—or wear light clothing) with close tables, cute curtains, all the standards, e.g. duck confit, on a street named rue de Pontoise that crosses Blvd. St. Germain. You will hear plenty of English spoken but it's still a very French restaurant.

Josephine/Chez Dumonet—place has two names and uses them both or either. Very old-fashioned bistro with very traditional food and décor. Higher prices than the others but generally regarded as worth the extra. In the 6th, and harder to get to—we take the bus. 117 rue du Cherche-Midi. Enormous portions many of which can be ordered as half portions. Will need reservations for sure and several days ahead. I regard this is possibly the quintessential, old-fashioned bistro style of restaurant. It’s really old-fashioned but excellent of a kind.

Chez Georges—not in the neighborhood, but rather in the 2nd Arr. near the place de la Victoires and the Palais-Royal. We finally went for lunch and loved it. Large, old-fashioned mirrors on the walls, great old-lady waitresses, wonderful old Paris vibe and food. 1 rue du Mail

Bofinger—also not in the neighborhood, but near the Bastille Opera and the Place de Voges so you’ll be in its neighborhood at some point. I suggest lunch rather than dinner. Over the top décor. Alsatian food, great sauerkraut plates. 15 rue de la Bastille If you can't fit it in for a meal, stop by and have a drink in their tiny entry bar which will give you access to see the beauty of the restaurant.

Chez Julien—a tiny little place on a corner, just across the river from the Ile St. Louis, not to be confused with the Bistro Julien which is in a shady area of town. Velvet banquettes line the wall. Curtains on the windows, a dog in the kitchen. Empire décor. Nice place for a truly romantic, old world Paris dinner. 1 rue du pont Louis Phillippe in the 4th.

I also recommend either Paul or Caveau du Palais on the place Dauphine where Simone Signore and Yves Montand lived, just behind the Palais du Justice on the Ile de la Cite. Lovely courtyard. Try to dine outdoors for lunch or have a croissant there for breakfast. Traditional and some trendy dishes.

Atelier Maitre Albert—nice mix of modern and old. They have a fireplace and do a lot of grilled things. It’s on the rue Maitre Albert just off the quai across the Seine from Notre Dame. Nice area. We like the more modern winebar part of the restaurant but both it and the main room are nice. Service tends to be fast—although you could probably ask that it be unhurried.

Mediterranee—is a restaurant not unlike you might find in the US but with Cocteau paintings. Heavy emphasis on fish. Try to be seated in the sort of porch area with views of the Odeon theatre lit up at night. It’s on the Place de Odeon.

Itineraires is one of those new, small bistros that are owned by young chefs hoping to make a name for themselves. The service by an all woman team headed by the chef’s wife is terrific and the food is both beautiful and tasty without being expensive for what you get. It’s at 5 rue de Pontoise just beyond the Petite Pontoise mentioned above.

In a class by itself—Les Papilles, up the hill past the Cluny museum at 30 rue Gay Lussac in the 5th. I’d seen this praised over and over and finally got to it, and since, have gone back several times. It's a deli-type store that has tables and a bar. They serve only a single set menu for the house--at both lunch and dinner. It is fantastic. On our first visit,I was worried when the waiter said what was being served since all three things were things DH doesn’t care for. By the end of the meal he declared it one of the best he’d ever had in Paris, in spite of thinking he wouldn’t like anything he had. We started with a celery root soup (you get a bowl between you to pour over the chunks of good stuff in your individual soup plates), then lamb—3 generous chops each—with various winter veggies in a gravy and polenta with parmesan. I forget the dessert but it too was good, I remember that. Everything is hearty, generous, home-like and wonderful. To top it off, the servers are cute, fun young guys who enjoy what they’re doing and the place has light touches everywhere like a mosaic floor that looks like it came out of a 64-crayon crayola box. I can’t wait to go again. Price-wise I don’t recall it being cheap or expensive, but I do remember that we’d have paid anything they asked by the time we finished. You will need reservations for sure and they require seating at set times since they serve the same meal to everyone.

Oh, and Chinese. DH always has to have at least one Chinese meal on every trip and if you do too there’s a very good Chinese/Vietnamese place not far from the hotel Parc St. Severin—Coin des Gourmets. It isn’t kitchy like so many, but has nice décor and excellent food. 5 rue Dante

Hope you get to enjoy some of these places. We always do.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 07:40 AM

I would seriously avoid any restaurant on rue de la Huchette, rue de la Harpe and rue Grégoire de Tours.

Les Papilles (01 43 25 20 79) and Joséphine/Chez Dumonet (01 45 48 52 40) are excellent and either will require reservations several days in advance

I would approach Chez Dumonet very differently that any other restaurant in Paris: plan on splitting the entrée, plat, and déssert. The portions are huge and the staff expects patrons to split courses. This strategy saves a lot of money as well.

Not particularly great food but I do like the Coupe-Chou in the 5th. If nothing else it has old world charm and it´s exactly what a Parisian restaurant should look like. Reserver several days in advance and ask for the table next to the fireplace. 01 46 33 68 69
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 08:14 AM

Be sure to stop by Fish La Boissonnerie, 69 rue de Seine. It's a very popular wine bar/bistro in the Saint-Germain neighborhood. It's open daily and considered one of the top 5 wine bars in Paris.

http://tinyurl.com/nrnnqs6
http://tinyurl.com/oduuvuj
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM

http://www.bouillon-racine.com/en/
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Bouillon racine is closed - doing repair works.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 08:55 AM

We ate at Coupe Chou (at the table by the fireplace). It's about a half a block from the Cluny. The food was good, but not outstanding. It is very atmospheric.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 08:59 AM

pariswat~ Permanently? Or will reopen after repairs?
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:06 AM

It will reopen - there were people working inside.
Didn't look like a major change, just refreshing.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Bouillon Racine will reopen after repairs. August is usually when repairs get done. They also have two other restaurants, one in the 6th and one in the 1st.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:13 AM

Bouillon Racine has had ups and downs in its cooking but it's decor has always been fantastic. I get the impression that it's in one of its up phases but even if you don't go for dinner, stop in to have a champagne at the beautiful bar and just revel in its atmosphere.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:39 AM

Thank you pariswat & Robert & Julie. I just truly loved the atmosphere of the place... the food was fine too. To me it was my 'fantasy' of a Parisian restaurant come true.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 11:50 AM

The food at Le Reminet on the rue des Grandes Degres is reliable. Best to reserve, even if you just pop in during the day to reserve for that evening. Word is that they offer good deals on lefourchette, but I've never used it.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 01:49 PM

forgot to mention Pouic Pouic, in the 5th ! close to Odeon.

Had a 'tartare d'huîtres et veau' ... minced oysters with veal... I had never seen that and it was good. Not unexpenisve though... we paid about 70 €/each with 'only' 2 bottles of wine for 5 of us.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 09:29 PM

I can highly recommend Les Papilles as others have done here. It was the favorite meal of our two week stay in Paris.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 11:38 PM

We always stay in the Latin Quarter and never fail to eat one or even 2 nights at the Relais Entreconte. It is literally steak and fries, no menu, you join the queue of Parisians, tell the waitress if you like it rare, med etc and out it comes. Its fun, and delicious and everyone we have recommended to go loves it. Not flash, but a great Parisian experience
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Oh boy, thanks for all the suggestions, they all sound great!
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 04:06 PM

In the 6th, but close to the 5th is Allard. We went there last year and actually were not expecting much but found it to be excellent. Great sommelier and the best sole meuniere (sorry spelling) I have ever had.

Have to disagree with L'Atelier Maitre Albert. The fireplace is wonderful but it is one of the worst meals we have ever had in Paris. Cold gougeres, overdone meat, blah service. Very disappointing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information