Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris-Languedoc region driving (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-languedoc-region-driving-327151/)

astrid22 Jun 13th, 2003 12:41 PM

Paris-Languedoc region driving

Bonjour! I am planning to drive from Paris to Limoux, is there any route recommended? Or any sites that we shouldnt miss? We would like to drive it in 1- 2 days. We have rented a house in Saint Couat de Razes(close to Limoux) for 4 weeks. Can anyone tell me about that area, please? We have 3 small children. Merci!!!!! .

ronkala Jun 13th, 2003 05:37 PM

Enter Viamichelin in your search engine. You will be able to find mileage and time there plus other info. Have a great trip.

ronkala Jun 13th, 2003 05:38 PM

I forgot to add you will also get driving instructions there.

StCirq Jun 13th, 2003 06:39 PM

astrid: While ronkala's information is accurate, it really doesn't answer your question, which as I understand it is how to see some interesting things along the way between Paris and Limoux.

I don't know Limoux at all, but I do know the major routes from Paris into the SW of France, and can offer the following advice:

Take the full two days. Make a lot of time on the first day, planning to end up somewhere around Limoges (go through Orléans, Bourges, Chateauxroux - check a map for the fastest routes hitting these spots - it's not that pleasant or pretty drive, but it's not like driving across Nebraska, either. It's France, and there will always be interesting things to see along the way).
Take advantage of your route to stop at Oradour-sur-Glane, just southeast of Limoges - the town where the SSS wiped out 660 citizens in a day. The town has been left exactly as it was on that day, and is a tear-jerker. Also a fine museum. You can probably find a decent place to spend the night in or near Oradour.

From there continue on through Brive and Cahors, then branch off and take the back roads starting with Caussade and wind your way down to Limoux through Castelnau-le-Montmiral and Gaillac and Graulhet and Revel and Saissac and Carcassonne and then over to Limoux. Unbelievably wild and wonderful territory, an easy day's drive with plenty to see along the way, and very much "off the beaten path," as they like to say - in other words, you will see a part of France that is both magical and not part of many tourists' itineraries.

astrid22 Jun 14th, 2003 04:35 AM

Dear St. Cirq
Thank you sooo much for your reply. I printed your message and will follow your advice. Merci!!!!!

RonZ Jun 14th, 2003 08:59 AM

This is wonderful advice from StCirq. Too bad you don't have a little more time to meander through the countryside in this region. Cordes-sur-Ciel and the wondeful town of Albi are two of my favorite spots along this route. The mappy site is helpful in trying different roads and getting a rough idea on how long it takes to get from place to place.

cigalechanta Jun 14th, 2003 09:27 AM

And I , in turn will agree with Ron. In Albi you can visit the Toulouse-Lautrec museum. In Codes at the top of the main street, you can lunch under spreading chestnut trees.