Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - Jules Ferry Youth Hostel. Has any one stayed there?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Joyce

Mother and teenage daughter need twin bedded accomadation around 40-50 Euro. Any reccomendations?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Joycr

We will be in Paris late July for 5-6 nights

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:51 AM
joyce

topping as I need help asap!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Ursula

Joyce: You can do a search on this board. You will find tons of recommendations or have a look at the following pages:
www.france-hotel-guide.com/parishotels.htm
www.paris.org
www.hotelboulevard.com

However, 40-50 Euro is pretty low. Do you mean by person or by room? If it's by room, you will have trouble finding something acceptable.

You will find all hostels listed on the Paris Tourist Board site at:
www.paris-touristoffice.com/index_va.html
Go to "Organzing your stay" and then click "Accommodation" and choose the category you like. I couldn't find any information re the place you're looking for. Sorry. Good luck.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Ursula

Joyce: Just did another research with a French search machine.
Here's the web site of that particular youth hostel near Bastille metro stop:

http://www.fuaj.fr/a~ferry.htm

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Ursula

Sorry, it's close to Republique metro stop at 8, Blvd. Jules Ferry, 11th arr.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Christina

I haven't stayed there but I've heard it's certainly ok, it's part of that official organization. I think some others are supposed to be a little nicer or maybe better for an older person. Why don't you look at these: www.woodstock.fr, www.hostelblueplanet.com, www.villagehostel.fr

Blue Planet has the best location but I don't know if they have doubles. The others do and are nice enough. They are in the Montmartre area but not in a bad part of it. For your price, you can't be too picky (if that's for both of you). Most of these are part of the group www.cheaphostel.com (maybe some more). I would def. avoid the 3 Ducks on there (the worst), and maybe the Aloha.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Liz

Hotel Castex is just slightly over your limit, and it's a hotel in a good area. http://www.castexhotel.com/resa.htm
There are others, too.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:22 AM
La Reveuse

Hey Joyce,

You may want to contact the "Foyer International des Etudiantes" 93, boul. St. Michel, Tel: 43 54 49 63. It's a residence for female students that rents rooms to (female) travellers, and is located right across from the Luxembourg Gdns. I stayed there two years ago, and paid around $25.00/night for a single room which was larger than the one in the hotel I'd just come from.Some have a separate kitchen area with fridge, and others have balconies. The building is imposing with high ceilings, wood panelling etc.
Facilities include: library, roof-top terrace facing Lux Gdns, lndry, kitchen.

Negatives:there is a curfew imposed - 1:30 am if I remember correctly (curfew is waived in the summer) you'll be handed a list of rules upon check-in (no visitors, no yelling etc.), many of the residents seemed a little odd. Aside from those little details, it was fine.
Good luck!