Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Itinerary--would love any comments!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I am NOT a planner. But I know that with my family (including two kids, fairly well-behaved 11 and 8 years olds) if we don't at least have a shape of a plan on vacation we end up giving in to entropy, the children start sniping at each other and DH turns into Ward Cleaver. Since this very well may be the only time we go to Paris with the kids, I want this to be fun, informative, and not overly stressful.

What I want to do, at least right now, is try to focus days in certain areas, so I would particularly like to know if there is a must-see or hidden treasure in the area that I am missing.

Tuesday
Arrive, get settled, to market
Catacombs
Cemetery?
Fish Restaurant on Montparnasse?

Wednesday
Eiffel Tower early, argh
sRue Cler/Bon Marche?
St. Severins
Boats?

Thursday
Notre Dame
Tuleries
Fashion Show at Galleries Lafayette

Friday
Cluny
Jardin des plantes museums etc

Saturday
Chantilly? (not sure if this would take the whole day, or if it's crowded on a Saturday--any other suggestions for a fun saturday?

Sunday
Doll Museum?
Arts et Metier?
Marais

Monday
Museums closed--other stuff to do.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Oh, one other thing, this is for May 09! Can't wait.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM

may 09 ?
that is now..
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM

the fashion show at galeries lafayette is only on fridays and you need to make a reservation.
you can do it on line on their website and they will send you a confirmation.

i also noticed that some of the activities you plan to do each day are not close to each other.
it would simplify your days if you stuck to one area at a time.
e.g. eiffel tower and tuileries or marais, notre dame and st. severin

you could get an idea from several planned itineraries on this board including when i first started planning.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Yes. For Thursday...

Notre Dame, Ile St. Louis, Marais, lunch at L'As du Fallafel on the rue des Rosiers.

Then Tuleries and the lower portion of the Champs Elysee up to about the Exbibition Center.

Pjk
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM

And whsat do your kids say about any of this? Is there anything in particular THEY want to see or do?
Sounds trivial to some I know but to ward off boredom and insurrection, etc....
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:25 AM
tod

Catacombs first off????!
This will be my 11th trip to Paris and I am only now planning on the 1km tunnel down among 'The bones", 6 million of them! WHY?? Even when my guide book says " This underground cemetary is a harsh reminder of the inevitability of DEATH!
After entering the turnstile you descend 90 steps until you reach "Atelier" a chamber where clandestine meetings have been conducted since 18th century. The Atelier is part of a quarry, so look down a corridor that has been closed off by collapse. At the last leg of the journey through the various chambers keep looking up: you will walk beneath two massive bell-shaped chambers. These seemingly suspended cone shapes are the result of subsidence. They are extremely dangerous, because as a dome of rock detaches itself in the bell shape it is not detachable from the surface: if a vehicle passes over the remaing thin surface layer it can suddenly find itself 100ft(30m) underground.
The last serious collapse took place in December 1995 in the 9th district of Paris.
As you exit be prepared for a bag check: in this museum they are more worried about what you may take out rather than what you bring in with you!

See you there mitziesue!
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM

I would much rather take a stroll around the Luxembourg Gardens than the Tuileries.

I would rather wander around the Food Halls at Galleries Lafayette than go to a manky fashion show.

Thin
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone--yes, I got that day mixed up--our fashion show reservation indeed is friday, not thursday, and it's something my kids are dying to see--I am certain it is going to be hokey/boring, but they are big fans of project runway/make me a supermodel so I know they will love it. Or at least I hope so!

I am thinking about maybe doing the catacombs thing on the weekend, since it's supposed to rain then, or at least there is a better chance of it then. My son wants to see it, probably because he really wants his nightmares to be interesting. My daughter and I will probably stay upstairs.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Peter, that itinerary for Thursday looks PERFECT. I will probably try to push the Doll museum (which the kids want to see, or the Magic Museum)--I think they are both close by? Or. Not.

About the Champs Elysee--I am wondering--am I missing something? I find this area awful--lots of honking cars, overpriced bad food--I've only been in that area a couple of times and was so happy to escape from it.

And Yes, May 09! I said I wasn't much of a planner. But I am getting there! Thanks everyone for your input. Please, keep the tips coming!
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM

While you're in the Marais stop to see the Stravinski fountain near Beaubourg. It's a shallow pool with large whimsical figures that gush water. Some of the items are a heart, a blue hat, some kind of large animal, etc. It's a lot of fun to look at.

I would definitely take a boat trip at night. The Vedettes du Pont Neuf are below the Pont Neuf (stairs on the left side when crossing from the left bank to the right). Buy your tickets on line and print them for a discount. The night boats are so great. Try to get one on the half hour so you will be passing the Eiffel Tower on the hour when it sparkles.

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/billet_en.php

<< I would much rather take a stroll around the Luxembourg Gardens than the Tuileries. >>

The Tuileries have rides for the kids and the giant ferris wheel by Place de la Concord.

How about Montmartre; Sacre Coeur (rather than St Severin), watch the artists and have a sandwich in the middle of the square surrounded by the artists. Sure, it's cheesy but the kids will love it.

I think the rue Mouffetard market is much more fun than rue Cler. The best time for rue Mouffetard is Sunday mornings. A nice thing to do is visit the mosque, have tea in their garden, then walk back to rue Mouffetard, grab some food from the vendors and stop for a few minutes around noon at the bottom of the market and watch the accordian players and people singing and dancing. Sheet music is handed out (in French, of course) so if you can read French you can sing along or dance. It's so much fun!

Chantilly will take the whole day, by the time you get there and walk to the chateau, see the horses and reverse the trip.

Do your kids understand what the catacombs are? When I took my niece to Paris (then 14 years old) she really wanted to go to the catacombs. I sent her the link to the virtual tour. Once she realized that it's a bunch of bones she no longer wanted to go there.

http://triggur.org/cata/

Near where you're staying is the Roman arena (intersection of rues de Navarre and des Arènes). There's not much left of it but your kids might be interested.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Great information, Adrienne--thank you! Maybe we will look at the arena and maybe wander over to Luxembourg gardens the first day. The Mouffetard market is the one I have planned for right when we get there (not that we won't go other days, of course, and thanks for the tip about Sunday. Seriously, I just can't wait--it all sounds so wonderful). Do you think it might be a waste Tuesday...? Just curious.

I wonder if DS really knows what the catacombs are. His teacher encouraged him to go, so I think we're goners in that regard. Thanks for the virtual tour link. I remembered being kind of bored by it but I really don't like enclosed places.

I am also wondering--I personally don't want to go to a lot of the art museums--I remembered being so overwhelmed the one time I went to the Louvre--it's been 30 years and I still don't think I have recovered. Still, I think my son in particular would love the Assyrian art there. I wonder if it's worth it, hm. (I know this probably makes me sound like an infidel)

Seriously the last time we were here it was just us an my son, and he would have been perfectly happy to just play on those hobby horse things on that tiny park outside Notre Dame. So I am looking for small pleasures, mostly.

That said, I just asked DD what she wants to do, and she said EIFFEL TOWER. So perhaps if we see some bones (DS) and the eiffel tower for her, we're doing pretty well...
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM

We just got back from Paris. I second the tip about the Luxembourg Gardens vs. Tuilleries. The large ferris wheel is no longer at the Tuilleries... nor did I see any rides in this area.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Oh no! Well scratch that.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I'm not sure how late the street markets are open but when you arrive walk to rue Mouffetard. If the market has shut down there are lots of stores with delicious prepared take out food. You'll find something to snack on and for the first night's dinner.

I would go to the Louvre at night when the admission for adults is reduced. Look at the floor plan on their site before you go so you can figure out what to see in advance. That way you're not running around from wing to wing. One reason it's so overwhelming is the layout. You're constantly criss-crossing from wing to wing. I remember my niece loved the old foundations that were discovered when building the pyramid.

<<I wonder if it's worth it, hm. (I know this probably makes me sound like an infidel) >>

My new rule for Paris is that I will not see the Eiffel Tower, Arch of Triumphe or Louvre. I'm sick of them!! So I don't think you're an infidel.

When you go to the Lux Gardens go to the southern end. You may see men playing boules. There's a children's playground (perhaps good for your daughter). There's a small copy of the statue of Liberty and an oak tree and plaque dedicated to the victims of 9/11. The carousel was designed by the same man who designed the Paris Opera house, Charles Garnier.

I am curious about why you want to go to St-Severin. It's nice but hardly at the top of my wish list. So there must be some reason for putting it on your itinerary.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

One more question: I really loved Versailles when we were there before (my cousin was getting married just outside Versailles so we were able to spend a lot of time on the grounds, since it was so close)--is it kind of dumb to choose Chantilly over Versailles? We wouldn't be going on the Versailles indoor tour because--again--that tour almost killed me daid with boredom, but the grounds are so wonderful. Also, I see there are horses...that is kind of the draw for us with Chantilly.

OTOH, I just happened to speak to someone who had been an au pair in Chantilly and said that she really loved the castle and waking in the woods there, and recommended a cafe called Sylvia's. It does sound darling.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Mitzisue-here are some random thoughts. Did you say if you have been to Paris before?? I am just a newbie, having visited Paris only once with a girlfriend, but planning to go in June with my family. My daughter is 12 and this is what we're thinking.....

I purchased City walks with kids-Paris. It might be to late to get before you leave (you said May). It's a set of cards that describe 50 walks and things to do in Paris. The cards are about 3X5, and one side has a map and the other side has the description of things to see. It might be a good way to see what your kids are interested in. And also a good way to make easy plans, since the sites on each card are close together and give transportation info. My daughter had a wide variety of interests and picked about 30 out of the pile, which we narrowed down.

Here are some ideas-
Night cruise on the Seine-Bateaux Parisiens, Interest to kids, bridges lit up, houseboats and of course the Notre Dame. Combine with a night visit to the Eiffel Tower. We found the crowds less at night (like 11pm, we're night owls). Of course, Eiffel Tower at night is a must see.

St Martin boat ride (it goes through a series of locks). Maybe others would know if this is worthwhile.

We picked a guided visit to Gerard Mulot. Meet the pastery chef and chocolatier. Booked through Meeting the French.

Museums. We are just picking select things to look at. Like the Louvre, the Egyptian exhibit (mummies and a sphinx looked interesting), and maybe the moat and walls of Medieval Louvre. Maybe the crowds will be less on the days that the museums are open late. I saw you chose the Cluny museum, that looks great for kids.

Watch a puppet show Luxembourg gardens (maybe something for your Sat or Sun).

My daughter picked out several gardens, La Villette, Parc andre Citroen (find the statue of Liberty), Jardin des Plantes. I think we'll get a soccer ball and spend the afternoon in a park.

Can anyone comment on the Movie of Paris (near the Opera house), this might be a easy intro to Paris history. It's geared toward kids, but I haven't seen it. Someone mentioned the costumes at the opera house, and I know my daughter will like those. This might be an option if others felt the film was worthwhile, otherwise it might be to much of a detour.

As mentioned before, think proximity.
I'm not sure why you picked Bon Marche?
Also, do Cluny with St Severin (proximity)
Notre Dame with Crypt and maybe a stroll through Ile st-Louis (for ice cream or gelato)
You didn't mention dealing with jet lag? I wouldn't plan anything early on your second day. My 2nd day experience is that I'm very sluggish.
Good luck in your planning.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Mitzisue-I see we posted at the same time.
Regarding Versailles, there are bikes to rent that might be fun for your family to ride around the grounds.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful, thank you. I love the idea of the cards and will look for that book. And good tip about not trying to do anything early the next day. I hadn't thought of that.

DH and I love the Bon Marche. I don't know why! I think he likes the food court. The last time we were in Paris (it was a long time ago and we had a tour guide with my cousin, so we weren't paying much attention to maps) our schedule was off and we ended up hungriest when everything was closed and we had to eat at the Shell station.

There was also an open-air market nearby that was very nice. And a cheese store (Bathelmy?) that was to die for. We only had the one kid, and he was in a stroller, though, and so very portable. I am sure it will be harder with the two of them having the vapors from all that walking.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the bike info!

I forgot about the bike tours in Paris (fat tire). I wonder if the kids might like that. Easier possibly than walking.

I wish we had more time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -