Paris Itinerary- Let the slamming begin!

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Itinerary- Let the slamming begin!

Everyone has been so helpful with advice while I have been planning our 1st trip to Paris and Amsterdam. I have a tentative itinerary for Paris so here goes:

Day 1 Sun. Depart Amsterdam in morning arrive in Paris late afternoon. Check into hotel-St Thomas D'Aquin and get settled. Find a place for dinner either restaurant or food for a picnic. Take Seine River Cruise in evening.

Day 2 Monday Tour with Michael Osman- very busy day. We plan to start the day at the Louvre seeing the highlights only, Ile St. Louis/Ile de Cite tour along with Notre Dame, walking tour of the Marais and if our feet are not killing us- give Michael free reign to show us some of his favorite spots

Day 3 Tuesday TAke and early train to Giverny to see the gardens and have lunch. Come back in the afternoon. Visit St. Chappelle and have dinner somewhere.

Day 4 Wed. Visit the Orsay and Rodin Museums. Dinner and visit the Eiffel Tower at sunset/evening.

Day 5 Thursday Good time for Arc de Triomphe?( I haven't yet fit it in), Luxembourg Gardens maybe St. Sulpice and shopping. Dinner and maybe go out on our last night in Paris.

Day 6- Return home to US
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM

I'm curious. Why are you looking for slamming? Sounds pretty good to me.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Who would slam?

Day 2 looks very crowded and draining but otherwise it all looks fine to me.

I would not visit the Arc de triomphe (Why? To see the traffic?) nor have I done more than pass it by, in ...uh....maybe 20 trips to Paris.

But it may have a special interest for you...

The Rodin museum is smallish and exquisite, the Orsay huge and overwhelming. Not sure I could (with)stand both on one day.

You may want to rearrange those 2 events too.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:21 PM

The view from the top of the Arch de Triumph is great.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I thought that maybe I had too much on my plate and how many times have I read some poster's plans to have people say- "You are doing too much, you aren't going to enjoy yourself." As for the Arc de Triomphe, it seems to be one of those must see monuments, I thought I should fit it in. I can't say I have a buring desire to see it or the Champs Elysees. Are there any other things that I am missing? I have considered Montmarte, but I thought the Marais would be more interesting. Merci Beaucoup!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Itinerary looks good. You haven't over scheduled.

When you get to the train station closest to Giverny (forget the name of the town) don't wait to get on the bus. It's crowded and takes forever for everyone to get on. Grab a cab - it's worth the money for the time you'll save. We arranged for the cab driver to come back for us to make sure we didn't have to wait for a cab back to the station. He was more than willing to do so and was waiting at the time we asked him to be there.

While you're at the Rodin Museum have lunch/snack at the cafe in the garden - it's lovely.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
ira

Hi love,

I was going to say, it looks pretty good to me.

However, >Let the slamming begin!<

You are staying in the wrong hotel.
You shouldn't take a river cruise your first day.
Why pay for a tour guide?
Go to the Louvre at night when it is less crowded.
Only 5 days in Paris and you are taking a daytrip?
Day 4 is too busy.
You aren't going to walk along the Seine and look at the bookstalls?

You have left out gelato at Amorino.
Look them up at www.pagesjaune.fr
As good as any in Italy.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:40 PM

I do like your itinerary, tulips, but it's conspicuously lacking in sidewalk-cafe-table-time. Don't let yourself get too caught up in seeing the sights at the expense of missing out on the experience.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM

I agree with Ira about not taking a river cruise on your first day. I thought the same, until I saw you were arriving from AMS. Initially, I wanted to caution you about sleeping through the river cruise, but usually a problem when coming from the US and time change. Ira - why do you think they shouldn't do a river cruise on day 1?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:49 PM
ira

Hi tam,

> Initially, I wanted to caution you about sleeping through the river cruise, but usually a problem when coming from the US and time change. Ira - why do you think they shouldn't do a river cruise on day 1? <

As a lawyer might say, "Answered and asked".

PS, look for a

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:54 PM

We like visiting the Arc de Triomphe for the funny sight of the cars whizzing around it, and mysteriously, with few accidents!

As I recall, St. Chappelle opens earlier than some of the other places. If there's a line at St. Chappelle (as there often is), you might want to try to fit it in at the beginning of the day.

I think the Musee d'Orsay and the Rodin Museum are a good fit in the same day. The garden at the Rodin is very relaxing, and the cafe there looked enticing.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Ilovetulips, it's your trip, take on as much as you think you can handle. Alot of posters take naps, I don't. Right? Wrong? ..NO, it's each person's choice.
Say Hi to Michael.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:57 PM

Hi Ira - that's my reason for not taking a cruise on Day 1. But, I didn't know if you had another that I should think about for any of my future travel.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM

My only suggestion is don't plan a Paris trip too tightly. The first time I went, I just about had a rail timetable.

That thing went out the window quickly.
Yes, I had objectives and visited most of them. But I learned quickly that Paris has a way of showing up with something of immediate interest that I did not know about. It was right there in front of me, so let's have a look!
If I run out of time, I still got my money's worth.

For example, we set out one Sunday morning for Musee d'Orsay. We were going to tour the museum and then head for something else. Well, we walked up to Blvd Raspail to take a bus and there was huge street market in progress.

Result? We stopped for well over an hour. We finally got to the museum, thoroughly enjoyed it for longer than expected, and that somewhere else never saw us, or us it. So what? I don't remember now what that someplace else was, but the street market is a pleasant memory. And Musee d'Orsay told us we had to come back for a return engagement.

And somehow, I never have gotten to Basilique du Sacré Coeur. Even though it is always on the list, I keep not getting there. Each time we don't see it, I say "Next time."

In reality, it serves a very needed purpose: An excuse for returning to Paris!! As excuses go, Sacré Coeur is the best one I can think of.

But you know what? I don't think any of my visits were dimished. I went so hard and saw so much that I don't feel cheated at all. I felt energized. After I got home, I was looking for my next trip to hurry up and get here.

Right now we have this love affair with Wales, but I doubt if Paris is jealous.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Ok Ira, I should have stayed at the Bonaparte! You did email me pictures, but I really like the convenience of being able to book a place through the internet rather than going to a fax. Hopefully it won't be my last trip to Paris. I decided to go with a tour guide for a day because I heard fabulous things about Michael Osman and he only charges 75 euros for the entire day. I think getting the city's perspective from a local would be a priceless experience. I know that most people spend their entire trip in Paris but I LOVE Monet's art and I LOVE gardens. Given that we will be in France during the peak season I don't want to miss out on the experience. As for wondering around the Seine, you are right I don't have it plugged in my schedule so maybe I'll take out Arc d'Triomphe? I also don't have scheduled "cafe time", but I was hoping to stop at a few while in the Marais and our hotel seems to be steps from the heart of the St. Germain so I figured we would go into the area for some of our dinners. I also don't have Shakespeare and Co. on my list and I would like to make a stop there. I'll tweak my schedule a little.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I think your calculation about the Marais over Montmartre is bang on.

About what you may have missed: If I were going to the Louvre, I would not miss strolling in the Tuileries -- once and maybe still the drawing room of Paris (as San Marco --???-- was the Drawing room of Europe)
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

So many of you are experienced in Paris- did you have an itinerary when you first went? Things can be dictated by weather and as one person mention that great market on the way to the Orsay. I don't think that my ideas are set in stone, but I like to have some kind of plan and I have several things that I must see while I am there- Eiffel Tower, Musee D'Orsay, Louvre,and Giverny.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Don't worry about day 2 being over-crowded. With Michael , the day will pass quickly , you'll have cafe stops if you want, and he is such a charming young man , who will stay with you as long as your feet hold out!It's fun just sitting around in a cafe or at lunch and talking with him!

Unless you are planning on climbing the Arc..it will take all of 3 minutues to look at it, we like to start there walk to Trocadero and cross the seine to Eiffel Tower , then you could bus or Metro to Lux Gardens, then walk back to St Sulpice. Or catch a bus and go down the champs Elysee to Tuileries , walk thru ,pass the Louvre, head into the 6th and walk to Lux.Gdns!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Jody how long does your walk normally take? It sounds far but I have no perspective on distances in Paris.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:13 PM

I carried a chart that listed the things I wanted to do and any pertinent info (when sites were closed, etc.). I also listed any reservations and all addresses and phone numbers I thought I might need. Was handy in showing a taxi driver. But, best of all, it allowed me to "Pick and choose" my times to do the things I wanted to do.

The one thing I would add if it were my trip would be lunch on Day 4 at Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower.

Great trip planning - no slamming required!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information