Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Time Out London - is there a replacement?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very sad to find that Time Out London has changed to a free publication , with about 10 percent of the info in it thàt the original print edition carried. It seems to carry info on, for example, about a dozen theater productions, and not the hundred or more that are actually going on.

My question' is there any other publication I can find and carry around on my visits that will give me what. I used to count on getting from Tine Out?
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:05 AM

Not that I'm aware of. The movement of the times is towards online and smartphone apps, and as far as I know, that's where the old Time Out content has gone.
Old May 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM

Isn't it just much easier to look online that find a magazine?
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not IMO - the printed TimeOut was so great and was found absolutely everywhere. On line is much harder to go straight to what you want or to just browse. Just because something can be on line doesn't automatically make it better.

Tradition to pick it up at LHR / LGW and read through all the listings on the tube/train into town.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

What is easier about generating your own list of plays from varied sources and looking them up one by one for reviews, addresses, dates, and curtain times, and taking notes i suppose, versus having a printed collection af this information to start with?

And - the old Time Out information has not gone online, that's my point. You can no longer find a complete compilation of theatre information. Yes you can find their handful of recommendations but what about the other several hundred shows that are on at any time?

In NYC Time Out hasn't changed, and we also have the New Yorker and New York - you can arrive here and really get a grasp on the whole scene if you want to. Janis that is what I've always done too in London.
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:54 PM

"You can no longer find a complete compilation of theatre information"

Unless there's been some kind of revolution in London's theatres that's been hidden from us out in the sticks, you most certainly CAN find a full list of plays - and art exhibitions, and events at museums and art galleries. In fact, I find the current online listings more complete than the paper version used to be for restaurants and temporary events. Apart (I think) from lectures and debates, which is an area of London life Time Out consistently under-reports, as you'd expect from an institution that's been contemptuous of views outside the narcissistic bubble of its right-on journos pretty much since Tony Elliott invented it.

For theatre, you have to drill through the subcategories (West End, Fringe, Off-West End etc) at http://www.timeout.com/london/theatre. As far as I can see, what you then get is as complete as it's reasonable for any listings system to manage. Ditto for classical music and exhibitions - and restaurants are pretty exhaustive too.