Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   paris itinerary advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-itinerary-advice-764129/)

abranz Jan 28th, 2009 10:15 AM

paris itinerary advice

after having received great ideas and advice on this forum, i have come up with this...

this 8 day trip is in celebration of dd's 16th bday.

we are staying at flat #122 rented through v.i.p and highly recommended by guenmai and several others.

although we are there only 8 days, we are taking 2 day trips.

giverny and monet has been dd's passion since she was 7 yr after reading linnea in monet's garden.

versaiiles is special to me. i imagine my high school european history coming to life.

the remainder of the days, i am trying to take in as much as possible.

3-31, tues - arrive at cdg at 9:40a.m. :) take shuttle inter to apt @ 30 rue andre des arts.
thanks gracejoan. they were very prompt in their response.
after settling in, walk around neighbourhood, pick up groceries.
take an evening cruise on siene.
quiet early dinner

4-1, wed - 4 hour fat bike tours segway or bikes at 11 a.m.
which one would you recommend? one is obviously pricier than the other - is it worth the diff?
p.m. - eiffel tower, place invalides
musee d’orsay ?

4-2, thur - versailles to arrive by 9 a.m. - expect to spend most of the day.
quiet evening

4-3, fri - louvre 9 a.m.
tuileries gardens
shop at forum des halles

4-4, sat - a.m. train to giverny.
p.m. undecided

4-5, sun - market in the marais, picasso museum?
ile st. louis, notre dame
place de vosges at sunset

4-6, mon - arc de triomphe, champs elysee , place de concorde, grand palais – petit palais

4-7, tues - galaries lafayette, le printemps
montmarte, sacre coeur

4-8, wed - sadly retun home :(

is there anything i should add or delete?
any special recommendations for each of the areas we will visit?

thank you so much

melissa_s Jan 28th, 2009 11:05 AM

hi,
if Monet is in your plans, don't dismiss L'orangerie (which is in the Tuileries, as is the Jeu de Paume, a very cool photography gallery) on your Friday itinerary. also, there is a Monet museum in the 16th arrondissement if you don't end up getting out to Giverny. i'd skip the forum des halles shopping. way more fun to shop while you are in the Marais on sunday! while you are at Place de la Concorde, you might want to skip up to Place de la Madeleine, there is a great little museum, la Pinacothèque. you can have a quick lunch at the Fauchon take-out place or a more leisurely meal at Lescure on rue Mondovi, right off Place de la Concorde. or a real ladies' lunch & dessert at Ladurée on rue royale...on the tuesday you are going to galeries lafayette, etc, on the way up to montmartre, a nice little detour is the gustave moreau museum (only if your days end up switching around as i believe it's closed on Tuesday) and then to rose bakery on rue des martyrs for a snack. and i'd be remiss if i didn't mention one of my fave museums there, the Nissim de Camondo. on your Champs Elysées day, it's fun to walk down Avenue Montaigne and drool at the beautiful shops, if that's your thing. I always triple check museum hours because they are all closed on randomly different days. try to do an early morning at a food market -- No matter - if you ditch your itinerary and lose your map, you'll have an amazing anyway!

Travelnut Jan 28th, 2009 11:24 AM

Aren't you going to explore or visit anything on the Left Bank, other than the Eiffel and d'Orsay museum? No Jardin de Luxembourg? No Latin Qtr stroll (or will the bike tour cover sufficiently? or maybe your look around upon arriving at the apartment?)...

I don't think your day-trips are out of line with an 8-day visit. I know that the tour buses unload at both Giverny and Versailles by 9-10am, but don't know if that goes on late into the afternoon or not.

Why Place des Vosges at sunset particularly? It would fit better with your visit to Musee Picasso. Maybe buy some lunch items at/near the Bastille marche when you go Sun am, then eat it at Plc des Vosges for lunch?. I think sunset at the tip of Ile de Cite would be better (when is the Daylight time change in Paris, BTW?).

There are a couple of minor differences between the bike and Segway tours, you can see them on the brochure:
http://osmek.com/media/4750_2008-paris-brochure.pdf

Michel_Paris Jan 28th, 2009 11:46 AM

I like that fact you have not put too much into your days.

Since Monet is an interest, I would think the the Orangerie and the Marmottan Museum should be on your list. The Marmottan is located in the 16th, quite away from the other areas you will be visiting. But, it will also give you a glimpse of less touristy Paris. I had dinner in the area last trip...perhaps do this as an end of day trip?

Couple of restaurants I ate at last trip,and liked, near your apt..Chez Clement and La Jacobine. On previous trip ate at le Petit Zinc, another good choice.

Tues...perfect
Wed...maybe do Eiffel tower when they open...otherwise line-ups. The Rodin Museum is also in the neighbourhood if you want something smaller than Orsay. Invalides is interesting, perhaps a quick visit to Napoleon's tomb, which is quite impressive.

Thurs...nice, time to visit gardens, Marie Antoinette's cottage,etc..Might want to check to see if any concerts there at the time.

Fri..might be day to add Orangerie. Add in Place Vendome, Palais Royal, Opera Garnier, covered passageways to your walking around (all in same vicinity)

Sat...good. I liked Giverny.

Sun...Nice day. Shopping in Marais...

Mon...ok

Tues..busy day

Another interesting small museum is the Jaquemart-Andre located somewhat near Galeries Lafayette area. House of an art collector that was donated to state. Interesting collection and house. Also a decent place to eat.

abranz Jan 28th, 2009 12:26 PM

thanks so much. i knew i could rely on you guys to steer me in the right direction.
i had deliberately left some times blank so we could just be......wander at leisure and soak up the parisian atmosphere. also gives me a chance to add some places i missed.

melissa, love your suggestion of adding l'orangerie to friday. i'm not sure when but i will try to fit in marmottan during some free time. can't wait to go to laduree.

travelnut, the sunset at place de vosges was highly recommended to me on this forum. but, i like the idea of the tip of ile de cite as well.
when do you think we could fit in the jardin luxembourg? perhaps fri or sat afternoon?

abranz Jan 28th, 2009 12:29 PM

michel,
i am now definitely adding l'orangerie to friday. not sure when to fit in marmottan???
thanks for the restaurant recommendations. i'm sure we will be needing some restaurants close to the apt after a long day of sightseeing.

Michel_Paris Jan 28th, 2009 01:05 PM

Lots of restaurants near you. Also, rue de Buci area (pick up food from market) is good for strolling..see Procope restaurant (one of oldest in Paris) and imagine that Ben Franklin ate there..

You won't have much time, but a small and worthwhile museum in that area is Musee du Moyen Age (aka Cluny).

At night, if stuck for things todo, and classical is Ok for you, there are several churches in your area that give small concerts. Neat sound and locale would be interesting.

For Notre Dame day, St Chapelle and its stained glass windows are a must (couple blocks form N.D on the island). Note that nighttime concerts are also offered here

Cries_Van_Notebook Jan 28th, 2009 01:16 PM

Fauchon?? Blech! Hediard, sweetie darling. Fauchon is for arrivistes.

You are skipping the Luxembourg Gardens?? The Luxembourg Gardens are worth THREE Tuilleries.

If you go to Rue de Buci, you must have some gelato at Amorino.

I think the Champs Elysee is a complete waste of time. Are you really interested in looking into the showroom windows of auto dealerships? Boring.

Thin

melissa_s Jan 28th, 2009 01:22 PM

abranz, you were asking for resto recommendations near your rental -- there are so many!! just to start... Le Balzar on rue des ecoles; Le Comptoir de Relais at carrefour de l'odeon (usually a wait, but you never know!); Le Petit St benoît for old time comfort food, Le Relais de l'entrecôte for steak frites, or Le Petit Zinc - all on rue Saint-Benoît; Café de la Mairie for lunch or drink at Place St Sulpice, Polidor on rue Monsieur le Prince; of course, Café de Flore on Blvd St Germain for breakfast; a few good crêperies right near you on the same street; Atélier Maître Albert on rue Maître Albert; and I second Michel_Paris's rec for both La Jacobine and St Chapelle- is definitely a must, heart-stoppingly stunning.

abranz Jan 28th, 2009 01:24 PM

cries,
you are funny!!!
i can't imagine why i missed luxembourg gardens.
what day do you think would be good?
would avenue montaigne be better than champs elysee?

love gelato. will look for amorino.

since you are the doyenne of high fashion, what boots would you recommend for all the walking we plan to do?

abranz Jan 28th, 2009 01:26 PM

melissa,
after enjoying all these fab restaurants, i can see myself coming back several pounds heavier than when i left.
lol

melissa_s Jan 28th, 2009 01:26 PM

oh, and cries van notebook, let's not judge people's choices as character/personality flaws. we are all just here to help. and i think we all know berthillon kills amorino for taste.

melissa_s Jan 28th, 2009 01:29 PM

don't worry abranz, you'll more than walk off the extra caloric intake! yes, the luxembourg gardens are beautiful, as is the museum within and the area around. but don't feel pressured about what you are MISSING, concentrate on what you ARE seeing -- which will be be a lot -- it's a place to return to many times and discover something new each time.

Cries_Van_Notebook Jan 28th, 2009 01:31 PM

How dare you criticize the Great and Powerful Thingorjus!!!!!!!

I am a living legend and the Queen of Fodorville!

Off with your head!!!!!

PS
Berthillion sucks!

Thin

melissa_s Jan 28th, 2009 01:34 PM

quite sorry, thought the site was a democracy. we are now off-topic. out of respect to abranz, i'm outta here!

Cries_Van_Notebook Jan 28th, 2009 01:47 PM

I was only joking. You are no fun, melissa.

Thin

abranz Jan 28th, 2009 10:18 PM

ttt

StCirq Jan 29th, 2009 05:39 AM

Amorino puts Berthillon to shame.

melissa_s Jan 29th, 2009 05:51 AM

All in good fun, cries! I hope abranz goes to both!!

Michel_Paris Jan 29th, 2009 06:09 AM

Love it..food fight. I say we meet at Pont Neuf at noon...Berthillon team on Right Bank, Amorino on Left Bank and then...a lick-off.