Paris - is the Rue Turbigo/Marais safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on staying in this area is it safe especially at night? Thnaks in advance.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 03:37 PM

The Rue Turbigo is not in the Marais. It's a long street - where will you be located on R Turbigo? Much of it is in an area where I would not want to stay.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking of staying at the nHotel Bellevue et du Chariot D'or at 38 Rue Tobigo. The nearest metro stop to the hotel is Reaumur Sebastopol. We arem concerned about what the area is like late at night. Is it safe to walk alone at night in this area? Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:53 PM

It's hardly the garden spot of the city but it's unlikely to be a problem. It's safe to walk at night just about anywhere in the city itself, but it does help if you're accustomed to walking in big cities at night.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:43 PM

If it makes you feel better, there are likely to be lots of people out at night on just about any street in Paris, even the extra-seedy Rue St. Denis or Boulevard de Clichy. To me, deserted streets are much scarier than busy ones, even if some of the people out and about are engaged in nefarious activities.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:38 AM

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in November and I never felt unsafe in the area.

If you have any specific questions about the hotel or the area I'd be happy to answer them.

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thnaks for all the feedback.

TerriGoLighty, what was the hotel like?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:10 PM

Hi Retired,

Here's my take on the hotel...It received some glowing reviews on trip advisor, so I was a little disappointed in it at first. But it’s about what you would expect for 68 Euros – furniture a bit shabby, carpet and bed cover were a bit dingy, hallways a little dark. But it was clean enough – the bathroom was spotless and the sheets were clean.

I liked the location actually, even though you wouldn’t consider it in the "center" of the main tourist areas. Rue Turbigo itself is not a lovely French street, but I found the area around the Montorgueil market area (2 mins walk from the hotel) to be attractive.

There's a pedestrian-only cobblestone street nearby with some good restaurant options. We had a wonderful dinner at a creperie.....and the good news is you can pop in without advance reservations since it's not hopping with tourists.

The hotel is in the 3rd arrondissement (just bordering the 2nd) so it’s just on the periphery of the Marais….it’s about a 5 minute walk to the Pompidou Centre. There are 3 metro stops convenient to the hotel – Reaumur Sebastopol, Etienne Marcel and Arts et Metiers. We were able to walk to most of the major sites within 20 minutes.

In theory, I would consider staying there again if looking for a budget hotel. But in reality next time I will probably try something else out for a bit of variety...and in my quest for that perfect Parisian hotel.

Hope that helps,