Paris in only 3 days/4 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes yes I realize that 3 days in Paris is a crime...but I have plans to meet my family in San Sebastian only 3 days after I arrive in Paris late July 14, and catching a train to Biarritz early July 18th..giving me 4 nights and 3 days...What can you recommend for 3 days for a first time visitor? Keep in mind I'm well traveled..just never seemed to make it to Paris. How's this?
evening 1 - Champs Elysse, glowing Eiffel.
July 16 - Montmartr, Montparnasse
July 17 - Eiffel Tower, Sein cruise, Notre Dam, Pompidou, Arc de Triumf & just strolling in central Paris.

Thanks,
Sergey
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Hi Sergey,

We only had 3 nights in Paris and we saw a lot. You might want to read our trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34773150

If you are under 35, I would highly recommend taking a tour (bike or segway) with Fat Tire Bike Tours.

www.fattirebiketoursparis.com
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:06 PM

To clarify: there are no age limits on the tours, but almost everyone on our bike tours were under 35; the segway tour group included persons of all ages.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Unless you have some specific target in mind for Montparnasse, I would pass on that.

From your list I gather that museums are not your forte, am I right? Still, google the Musée d'Orsay, it's a converted former train station by the river, not far from the Louvre, that has ingeniously been turned into a fabulous art museum, covering the period from about 1850 to 1900 or so, mostly impressionists. If you line up early, you get in with the first lot, before the line gets impossibly long and the bus loads arrive...

If you go, as you come in, walk all the way to the other end, behind the big clock, and go up to the top floor, then work your way down. You will be amazed at how many of those paintings you somehow knew.

Also consider going to the Louvre (not necessarily inside, that takes too long for your short trip) but take in the lay of the famous land, with the glass pyramid and all, then walk through the Tuileries gardens to the Place de la Concorde and keep walking, eventually you get to the Champs Elysées, keep walking to the Arc de Triomphe - all in one long walk. You will have seen and absorbed much more of Paris than doing this by bus or Metro, rushing here and there. This long walk will connect the historical dots for you nicely. Then take the metro to Abbesses and go up to the Place du Tertre (painters!) and the white landmark church Sacré Coeur that dominates the Montmartre hill (mont = hill, montagne = mountain).

Enjoy!

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Wally, I love museums...but in Europe I know how much time you hav eto wait to get inside..as I remember the crazy hours we spent waiting to get into the Vatican Museum or any museum in Florence...thus I decided to skipp the museums for this trip...but yes..will def walk past Orsay and Louvre as those are the main gems of Paris. We love walking..
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

as much as I love art museums...for such a short stay in THE PARIS of all places...it will just take up too much time...but the walk from Orsay-Louvre to Touleries/Concorde-Champs Elysee sounds great!
Thanks!!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Let me suggest that you need to take into full account that you are arriving in Paris on Bastille Day -- July 14.

If you do not have hotel reservations and train reservations already, I suggest you act right away.

I think you can forget about ascending the Eiffel Tower that first night unless you don't mind being caught up in a wildly celebrating mob. The fact that Bastille Day is on a Saturday night this coming year means that a wilder time than usual can be expected.

My expectation is that the whole area around the Eiffel Tower will be packed with people as will everything else in that part of Paris.

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

brookwood..wow..I had no idea about Bastille Day..it didn't accur to me even though i knew when it is. Thanks a million for the tip. Is Bastille Day a plus or minus?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Now that you know it, it will be a huge plus (with minor inconveniences). Plan your hotel stay and your trip there accordingly, there will be festivities etc. so stay somewhere close to a train station and go put your things away on arrival, then hop into the fray with festivities and such - by the Seine, by the Eiffel tower, along the Champs Elysees - a festive night, just pretend they are all celebrating your arrival...
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Our first trip to Paris we just had 3 nights, 2 1/2 days and we managed to see an awful lot, even managed a side trip to Versailles.
I plotted everything down by areas before we left, so as not to waste time backtracking.
Also, we did a CityTour for a few hours on the first day that gave us an idea of where everything was. Went to the top of the Eiffel Tower at night, took a late afternoon boat ride on the Seine, saw the "highlights" at the Louvre, walked through St. Germain to the Notre Dame and St. Chapelle, walked down the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe, got really good at using the metro! We even had time to sit at a few cafes and sip wine.
It's possible to see the major sites if you plan ahead. And just keep it in the back of your mind that you'll return and see the rest another time.

We returned 5 years later, and are going back again next March.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:11 PM

I agree with (almost all of) the above. However, though I'm a walker, I don't like the long walk up the Champs. I find it rather boring and it's very loooong.

If you're arriving late in the day, head over toward the E. Tower (Trocadero metro stop). There are lots of cafes/restaurants and it's nice walking around there. Have dinner and walk over to the Trocadero at dark for a fabulous view of the tower. Go up and enjoy the view. All of this will be plenty for your first night. Try to study the metro/bus plans ahead of time. Options are kind of far apart in that zone.

Day 1: As Wally says, start out at the Musee D'Orsay. Walk over to the Louvre pyramid, then stroll through Tuilerie Gardens to Place de la Concorde. [Note: On your right will be Rue de Rivoli---find a sandwich shop and get yourself a picnic to enjoy in the gardens.] Cross the Place to the point where Champs Elysee starts. There's a bus stop on the side opposite the river...catch bus 73 (1 metro ticket). Ride all the way up to the Arch. Go to the top if you like. Then on to Montmarte, as Wally describes.

Day 2---Other options to think about:
You mentioned Notre Dame...start there, on Isle de la Cite. You are now in my favorite part of Paris: the Isles. Saint Chapelle--with its fabulous stained glass--is only a couple of blocks away. There's the flower market at Place Louis Lepine. Walk toward the back of Notre Dame and cross the bridge to Isle Saint-Louis. Your guide book will give you several points of interest here. It's a charming place just to wander around.

From there walk or take the metro to the Pompidou. You will also be near the Hotel de Ville, a beautiful spot.

You are now near Pont Neuf where you can buy your tickets for the sunset cruise on Les Vedettes du Pont Neuf.

If time allows, another favorite of mine is Luxembourg Gardens with the children floating their boats on the pond. Since it's a weekend, there will also probably be music.

Just some random thoughts. Can you tell I love Paris?!!

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Ooo, Bastille Day...good catch, brookwood!

Yes, going up the Tower will probably be impossible. Perhaps FIRST thing Sunday morning (before the tour buses arrive) if you really want to go up. It's also another good reason to bypass the museums. But the plaza around the Pompidou should be hopping that day!

I would also make dinner reservations ahead of time if you plan to eat at popular restaurants.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM
ira

>I don't like the long walk up the Champs.<

Take the Metro to the Arc de Triomphe and walk DOWN the Champs to the Louvre.

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:02 AM

If you are interested in the museums but are concerned about the long lines, get the Paris Museum Pass. You can get a two, four or six day pass (you would want the two day pass). The good thing about it is that there is no waiting in line. If you have the pass, you go to the front of the line. IT SAVES A LOT OF TIME. I think the current price is about 38 euros for the two day pass. There is no limit to the number of times you can visit more than 70 museums and monuments in Paris are included. I think it is the best travel bargain in Europe. I used it a couple of years ago and saw about 20 museums and monuments in five days. It saved a lot of money and a lot of time.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Ira: It's not the <i>length</i> of the walk that bores me. I just don't like the stores that line the Champs.
========================================

As for museums, if the only museum you want to visit is the d'Orsay, there IS a way you can go to the front of the line. I bought my d'Orsay ticket at a Tabac, went to the &quot;group entrance&quot; door the next morning and walked right in. I don't know if all Tabacs sell them.
[I bought mine in the underground of the Louvre. Find the metro stop &quot;Palais Royale-Musee de Louvre&quot;. Go downstairs and follow the signs to the Louvre entrace. To your right, in the corner, is a tabac. He will sell you d'Orsay tickets for the next day.]
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM
nbujic

Champs is a long (not so interesting walk. Too many people do just that on the 14th.
The Left Bank is more fun .Orsey is a must, then walk from there around the 6th arr.

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM

My favorite day in Paris was the
walk from the gardens through Place de la Concorde, down Champ Elysse (with a stop for lunch) to the Arch de Triomphe. We then took the Metro to Montmarte, where we stayed a couple of hours just walking and looking. Then we took the Metro to the Eiffel Tower, arriving about dusk, when it was lit up. We braved the long line for ticekts to the top for a fabulous nighttime view of Paris.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Since it will be Bastille Day...how is it celebrated? Is it a whole weekend affair? Or just fireworks the evening of the 14th?
Thanks
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:06 AM
MaureenB

Your itinerary covers two days and three nights, but you actually have three days and four nights, non? That's actually a decent time for a quick visit to Paris, I think.

We were disapppointed in the Champs Elyssee, but the Arc de Triomphe is worth a visit. You have the two sites separated on your agenda, but you'll want to cover them both on the same day to be efficient with your time.

A pretty approach to the Eiffel Tower is through the Champs de Mars park. It stretches from Les Invalides to the Tower and has benches and plenty of room for a picnic while you contemplate how BIG and impressive the Tower is.

I second the idea of at least seeing the outside of the Louvre and the d'Orsay, if you don't want to tour the museums themselves they are interesting buildings in themselves.

Have fun!
&gt;-

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

do you think a visit to the Versailles is at all do-able?? I am leaning on skipping it for obvious reasons (don't have time), but since it is summer, the outside gardens will be so beautiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -