Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris in one day! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-in-one-day-1649527/)

claudia0124 Mar 3rd, 2018 12:31 PM

Paris in one day!

Hello everybody!
I will be arriving in Paris (CDG) on June 21 at 10:35 am, I will be spending the whole day in Paris. I need a hotel to spend the nigh and I will be leaving to Zurich the next morning.
I want to see the main attractions (The Eiffel Tower, The louvre Museum from the outside,I want to go to Shakespeare & co and Notre Dame) I don’t mind walking. Can you recommend a hotel?

Ps. I will be alone.
Thank you in advance.

tuscanlifeedit Mar 3rd, 2018 12:56 PM

How much do you want to spend on a hotel, and how are you getting to Zurich? Is there a time factor in the morning?

claudia0124 Mar 3rd, 2018 01:02 PM

I don’t want to spend too much on a hotel, I just want to sleep confortable. I’m fliying to Zurich.

StCirq Mar 3rd, 2018 01:10 PM

What is "not too much?" That could mean 40 euros or 400, depending on one's budget. How many euros do you want to spend.

What time is your flight to Zurich and from which airport?

tuscanlifeedit Mar 3rd, 2018 01:13 PM

I'm stymied. I can't recommend anything without a ballpark euro figure. Do you need public transportation to the airport in the morning? If so, do you want to go buy bus or RER? Maybe that doesn't matter to you, but lots of folks prefer to stay near their transport option.

5alive Mar 3rd, 2018 09:42 PM

Hi, Claudia,

I went in 2016. I was looking for a triple, which you don't need, but I saved the names of a few hotels I liked. Some I found here on the Fodor's Forum. My criteria was location, clean and relatively inexpensive.
Prices I give are on the Hotel's own website. You can also search these hotels on booking.com and see if they're cheaper, although I did check the first one and it wasn't.
. I plugged in the date June 14 every time for the price I give you here.See if any of these work If not, let us know what you need and people can give other ideas. (100 Euros=$123 dollars)

Hotel Familia Paris-- 100 Euros/night on hotel website.
Very near Notre Dame and Shakespeare and Company. Best location for walking to some of the sites you mentioned.
5th Arr.
FAMILIA HOTEL PARIS - 2 star hotel in Paris 5 - Latin quarter paris

Hotel Clement-- 152 Euro/night on hotel own website
In the 6th arr, a very nice neighborhood for having dinner at the end of the day.
Still very close in to your sites but you would probably want to take a taxi to your first site and then walk to the others.
Have your hotel call a taxi or get the Uber app.

https://hotelclementparis.com/

Hotel Bonaparte--124Euro/night on hotel's website
Also in the 6th.
Hotel Bonaparte | Hotel Bonaparte

Envierges Mar 3rd, 2018 10:43 PM

If you can work this in. European Fete de la Musique on the night of June 21

https://75.agendaculturel.fr/festiva...aris-2018.html

claudia0124 Mar 4th, 2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 5alive (Post 16687060)
Hi, Claudia,

I went in 2016. I was looking for a triple, which you don't need, but I saved the names of a few hotels I liked. Some I found here on the Fodor's Forum. My criteria was location, clean and relatively inexpensive.
Prices I give are on the Hotel's own website. You can also search these hotels on booking.com and see if they're cheaper, although I did check the first one and it wasn't.
. I plugged in the date June 14 every time for the price I give you here.See if any of these work If not, let us know what you need and people can give other ideas. (100 Euros=$123 dollars)

5alive-

Hotel Familia Paris-- 100 Euros/night on hotel website.
Very near Notre Dame and Shakespeare and Company. Best location for walking to some of the sites you mentioned.
5th Arr.
FAMILIA HOTEL PARIS - 2 star hotel in Paris 5 - Latin quarter paris

Hotel Clement-- 152 Euro/night on hotel own website
In the 6th arr, a very nice neighborhood for having dinner at the end of the day.
Still very close in to your sites but you would probably want to take a taxi to your first site and then walk to the others.
Have your hotel call a taxi or get the Uber app.

https://hotelclementparis.com/

Hotel Bonaparte--124Euro/night on hotel's website
Also in the 6th.
Hotel Bonaparte Hotel Bonaparte

5alive- thank you so much. Familia Hotel sound like a perfect fit to me.
Thank you for all you very helpful advise.

PalenQ Mar 4th, 2018 01:30 PM

Consider taking train to Zurich -nearly as quick as flying and you see some wonderful scenery in between. Factor getting out to airports and back in. Get a hotel by train station serving Zurich - either Gare de Lyon or Gare de l'Est depending on trains taken - book tickets way in advance at www.oui.sncf - French Railways - for lots on trains check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

suppose you have booked your air ticket though. And why just one day in Paris on a 10-day trip that also includes Zurich and Berlin? If not going to Berlin for friend, etc. maybe cut it and spend time in Paris?

neckervd Mar 5th, 2018 02:25 AM

You can't see the main attractions in Paris from outside in half a day!

You will arrive at CDG at 10.35 and in Paris around noon and will be jet-lagged.
The next morning you will have to leave your hotel around 7am in order to catch the 9.50 flight from CDG to Zurich and will reach Zurich city center towards noon. In the remaining afternoon you can't do a lot in Switzerland.

May be it would be better to spend most of day 2 in Paris and to reach Zurich in the evening, may be by TGV train Paris dp 16.23 - Zurich ar 20.26.

5alive Mar 5th, 2018 01:43 PM

Glad that hotel will work out for you. Do reserve soon if you like it. Central hotels like that will fill up faster.

I do agree that your time is short. If you did not buy the Zurich plane ticket yet, Pal's idea of a train would be far more fun. I also do agree that you should plan in advance. I disagree that you need a driver. Taxi to hotel to drop bags. Eat by hotel. Walk to your first location (Notre Dame/Shakespeare) and take taxis or Uber to the Louvre, Eiffel Tower.

Before your trip:
  • Finish all hotel and plane/train reservations first.
  • Email the Paris hotel and ask for permission to drop your bags there before your room is ready.
  • Cell phone in Europe: Visit your phone store/go online and find out what plans are offered. Pick one with enough data to use your mapping app, Uber, flight and train apps.
  • If you live in a reasonable sized US city, buy Euro ahead of time. Don't waste your limited time in Paris with this. Maybe $100 or $200 USD worth. If you need advice on this, ask.

StCirq Mar 5th, 2018 01:53 PM

There's no reason to buy euros ahead of time if you have an ATM card. Just take 30 seconds to stop at a machine once you get there and get your euros, saving both time and money.

suze Mar 5th, 2018 02:55 PM

see the main attractions (The Eiffel Tower, The louvre Museum from the outside,I want to go to Shakespeare & co and Notre Dame) I don’t mind walking

I don't see any problem with this one day walking plan. the places you mention are all in the central arrondissements (1st, 4th, 5th, 7th). maybe using Metro up to the 7th then work your way back.

StCirq Mar 5th, 2018 03:22 PM

What suze says. And if you're only going to be in Paris for one day, or part of one, why on earth would you need cell phone connection? There is wifi everywhere (as there is pretty much all over Europe these days). Certainly no reason to get a French SIM card.

suze Mar 6th, 2018 09:52 AM

I am a Paris rooky but this is what we did in one day just using a paper street map and with no advanced planning.

From the Latin Quarter where our hotel was: Metro up to the 7th and get off for the Eiffel Tower. Did not go up just viewed from the park below. Walked thru Rue Cler and past Arc de Triomphe, walk down Champs Elysees, thru Jardin des Tuileres. Exterior of the Lourve, and walked thru the basement level only, on to Notre Dame (again outside only) thru Luxembourg Gardens. There were more than several stops along the way for lunch, sidewalk cafe, glasses of wine, photo ops. If was a full day but accomplished a lot with zero planning and little cost.

5alive Mar 6th, 2018 07:40 PM

So I wrote my response after Neckervd's somewhat blunt but truthful observation that Claudia doesn't even have a whole day in Paris. She won't probably get into the city until noon. So the advice I gave was not what I'd normally tell people, who would have a few days, and hopefully wouldn't be as jetlagged after a day or two.

Originally Posted by StCirq (Post 16688319)
What suze says. And if you're only going to be in Paris for one day, or part of one, why on earth would you need cell phone connection? There is wifi everywhere (as there is pretty much all over Europe these days). Certainly no reason to get a French SIM card.

Why would she need a cell phone?

Because the mapping app on her phone will help her get from point A to point B much more quickly. You cannot do this with wifi.

I am good with maps but I have come to learn not everyone is. They may meander a few extra blocks here and there while they work it out. This is a more charming and pleasant way to travel when you have time. You discover things you wouldn't otherwise. Claudia is coming off a night flight and she has little time. That is why I think she should use her app.

Also I really think for her one short day on her own in Paris, she'd probably be better off just taking a taxi rather than the Metro. Or taking an Uber, and again, she'll need her phone for that.

So Verizon--which I don't consider cheap, would charge me $10 for one day's use in Paris. Given what she will spend on her trip, it doesn't seem extravagant to me.

Originally Posted by StCirq (Post 16688245)
There's no reason to buy euros ahead of time if you have an ATM card. Just take 30 seconds to stop at a machine once you get there and get your euros, saving both time and money.

Again, if her time weren't so limited, I'd agree with you.

I've been in airports where there was a wait. The whole plane empties and everyone gets in line. So maybe it's just 15 minutes of waiting but then she's gotta figure out the machine. I don't know if she speaks French or if she's good at tech. Maybe it will be 30 seconds. It tends not to be for me, but then I'm in less of a hurry so it's okay. And again, I would only suggest she pick up some Euros ahead of time-- if it were relatively convenient to her home.

neckervd Mar 7th, 2018 01:50 AM

I agree with everything above.
But the main question remains:
Why must the OP absolutely be at Zurich at noon on day 2: meeting, conference, wedding?

claudia0124 Mar 7th, 2018 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 5alive (Post 16689086)
So I wrote my response after Neckervd's somewhat blunt but truthful observation that Claudia doesn't even have a whole day in Paris. She won't probably get into the city until noon. So the advice I gave was not what I'd normally tell people, who would have a few days, and hopefully wouldn't be as jetlagged after a day or two.

Why would she need a cell phone?

Because the mapping app on her phone will help her get from point A to point B much more quickly. You cannot do this with wifi.

I am good with maps but I have come to learn not everyone is. They may meander a few extra blocks here and there while they work it out. This is a more charming and pleasant way to travel when you have time. You discover things you wouldn't otherwise. Claudia is coming off a night flight and she has little time. That is why I think she should use her app.

Also I really think for her one short day on her own in Paris, she'd probably be better off just taking a taxi rather than the Metro. Or taking an Uber, and again, she'll need her phone for that.

So Verizon--which I don't consider cheap, would charge me $10 for one day's use in Paris. Given what she will spend on her trip, it doesn't seem extravagant to me.

Again, if her time weren't so limited, I'd agree with you.

I've been in airports where there was a wait. The whole plane empties and everyone gets in line. So maybe it's just 15 minutes of waiting but then she's gotta figure out the machine. I don't know if she speaks French or if she's good at tech. Maybe it will be 30 seconds. It tends not to be for me, but then I'm in less of a hurry so it's okay. And again, I would only suggest she pick up some Euros ahead of time-- if it were relatively convenient to her home.

5Alive- Thanks a million, this is exactly what I will be doing... I will get some euros before I depart (already called my bank and they suggested to order a week in advance) I speak very little French, just what I learned while in high school. I thought about taking the train to Zurich, but for some reason decided against it.
I will definitely called the hotel to ask about holding my bag.

for the person so interested why Zurich on the second day. My girlfriend and I haven’t seen each other for 15 years.

Thank you again!

neckervd Mar 7th, 2018 09:11 AM

" for the person so interested why Zurich on the second day. My girlfriend and I haven’t seen each other for 15 years."

Excellent reason. In this case I would have skipped completely the few hrs in Paris.

But you write " I thought about taking the train to Zurich, but for some reason decided against it"
But you want to go to Zurich, don't you?

Frankly, I don't understand anything more.
Have a nice trip!

PalenQ Mar 7th, 2018 10:11 AM

Whatever OP's reasons are they are valid because they are hers.