Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris in July!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-in-july-695568/)

ptm Apr 10th, 2007 09:47 AM

Paris in July!!!

Hi Everyone, Sad to say my DH and I had to cancel our trip to Paris leaving this Thursday... because, after a trip to the dentist the other day, I ended up with a mouth of cold sores (gross I know) I get them every time I have a lot of work done on my teeth. Needless to say we are very upset. So now we are thinking of rebooking and taking our two teenage daughters leaving July 5th. Finally, here is my question: Is Paris in July a good idea? Also, we are looking at the Paris-Perfect apartments. Are they as great an apartment as I think they are? Thanks so much for all the help.Ptm

nytraveler Apr 10th, 2007 09:53 AM

Have been in Paris in Jult a couple of times. It can be VERY hot - well into the 90's - and most apartemtns don't have AC - in fact some simpler hotels don;t have any either.

If you can find appropriate accommodates wth good AC go for it. If not - I would change the dates - or go someplae cooler.

But that's me - and I can;t bear heat. I know some people don;t mind it.

Christina Apr 10th, 2007 09:56 AM

Sure, Paris in July is a great idea, I go there in July a lot -- maybe six times by now. I'd just get a hotel with AC, if I could. If you want an apt., that's another story, I have no experience with that firm but many do.

I like July in Paris because it stays light so late, so there is lots to do, and it's so nice to be out and about in warm weather and when it's light. Also, you don't need to pack heavy clothes, so it's easier to pack light. Of course, it does seem to rain quite a bit in July, you never know, but I still like it.

Going on July 5th is pretty good timing, also, as a lot of things really slow down after the 15th in terms of performing arts, but you can still go to the ballet, for example, in early July. That may not matter to you, it's just one thing I look at.

Ian Apr 10th, 2007 10:01 AM

One advantage: mid-July all of the stores have massive sales before the August holiday. My wife went crazy clothes shopping.

Ian

kerouac Apr 10th, 2007 10:09 AM

July is the heart of the tourist season -- the most interesting time and the most crowded. You will have the big summer sale and also Paris Plage beginning just after the 14th. Both can be incredible sights.

Christina Apr 10th, 2007 10:15 AM

It is true they have the summer sales, but they start at the very end of June, actually, so you have a better selection early in July, not mid-July. Things are often pretty picked over by mid-July.

kerouac Apr 10th, 2007 10:22 AM

The date for summer 2007 has not been set yet, but in 2006 it was 28 June to 8 August. Most of the sales were finished before the beginning of August, because everything had been sold already.

amwosu Apr 10th, 2007 11:08 AM

Have you checked airfare yet? You may be dismayed at the difference in price from April vs. July.

Also, it may be more difficult to book a Paris-Perfect apartment considering how popular they seem. I may be wrong but I think all of that company's apartments have AC.

I've been to Paris twice in July and I'm going to be there again the first week of July this year. I actually wore a sweater most days the last time I was there due to overcast rainy weather.

gracejoan3 Apr 10th, 2007 11:17 AM

ParisPerfect apartments are all very nice and very nice people to work with. I have one rented for October. If you are thinking of this June or July, you may find that you are much too late for a reservation.

Personally, I would not fo that time of the year. Some people have to go in the summer months..so whenever, you are in Paris!!

luvparee Apr 10th, 2007 12:01 PM

Hi!

Let me assure you that the Paris Perfect apartments look every bit as wondefful as they do on the website and then even better!! The view of the Eiffel Tower outside our dining room was magical! I read with great interest that the apartments had all had air conditioning installed during the last several months. My girlfriends and I stayed in the Sancerre and the Champagne last July --both on the top floor of their respective buildings, and it was HOT!!!

However, the neighborhood of the 7th is wonderful - and the "book" they leave in each apartment explains everything in great detail. The Paris Perfect people are a delight to work with.

I must say that it was very crowded last July and assume that it's that way every year. I have decided that my trips to Paris are going to be in May or early October -- both weather and crowds should be manageable.

Would you still be in Paris for Bastille Day?

Wish I was going !!!!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee

elsiejune Apr 10th, 2007 12:33 PM

Anytime you can get to Paris is a good time to go, IMHO. That said, July is generally a busy, hot, expensive month to visit. I've stayed at ParisPefect apartments (they really are quite lovely), but they were not air conditioned at the time. I wasn't aware that they had installed AC in all their flats; great news, if true. You'll want to make sure that your particular rental apt. has AC. Also, you'll want to know if the AC is central to the flat, or only in certain rooms. These are bright, sunny flats on upper floors that get quite hot on a summer's day. You'll find that the ParisPerfect team is very easy to work with, and quick to respond to any email questions you might have. Have fun planning your trip. EJ ((#))

kerouac Apr 10th, 2007 12:52 PM

In 2006, July was hot and August was icy. Might be the reverse in 2007.

gracejoan3 Apr 10th, 2007 01:04 PM

I met with Carolyn while there in Feb. She told me that ALL ParisPerfect apts. would be A/C by March 31st........

elsiejune Apr 10th, 2007 01:26 PM

Gracejoan,
Carolyn would certainly know. The addition of AC is good news, and makes the PP flats more attractive for summer months. Given their prices, I always thought they should have AC. Thanks for the info. EJ

gracejoan3 Apr 10th, 2007 02:27 PM

elsiejune,
I actually had thought that they were all, or almost all AC previously. I was surprised to find out how few were.

Carolyn and I met and chatted in one of the apts. that I previewed, when she assured me of the work in process for all the A/C. It can't be an easy job to do!!

They are nice places and all being in the 7th you couldn't do better.

I have rented the www.parisianflat.com rue Dauphine apartment for April, 2008 when I am taking my granddaughter. Not my favorite location, but her first trip. She will like it. The apt. will be a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath by the time we arrive.

Weadles Apr 10th, 2007 02:39 PM

Definitely go! I've been to Paris many times in July and am going again in July this year. Because it can be very hot ( and sometimes noisy!)I would recommend choosing a hotel with AC and double glazed windows. I don't know what your budget is, but the Hotel La Fleurie in the 6th is very centrally located, and offers family accomodations - one double bedded room connecting to a room with two twins. It's a lovely, quintessentially Parisian hotel.

Although I don't know the hotel personally, you could also check out Ira's recommendation- Hotel Bonaparte, which apparently has AC as well, and is probably significantly cheaper than La Fleurie.

With any luck, you'll be visiting during the sales, and if not, there's still some wonderful shopping off rue dauhphine, in the Latin Quarter, and in the Marais. Have fun!

elsiejune Apr 10th, 2007 04:24 PM

Gracejoan,
The rue Dauphine flat looks very nice, and it's a great location for your granddaughter's first visit to Paris. I've found that you must play to your audience when renting apartments. So much depends on who's traveling, how many, and where you want to be in the city. Although we generally gravitate towards the 7th, our next visit (10/07) we'll be renting on Ile St.Louis in a tiny flat for two. The following spring, (5/08) we'll be 5 family members, all adults including 3 who've never been to Paris before, and we'll stay in a large flat in the 1st, with easy access to many first-time sights. All in all, I consider myself lucky to be able to visit Paris each year. EJ ((#))

moonlope Apr 10th, 2007 09:22 PM

I've only been to Paris in December and I had an amazing time. I was planning on attending a university for a French Immersion program, either the Sorbonne or ILCF, this summer. I was excited to see the city in warm weather. But all this talk about huge crowds of tourists has got me a little scared. I want to speak in French not English! Should I opt for a program in another part of France this summer? any suggestions?

kerouac Apr 10th, 2007 11:10 PM

Paris is great in the summer. It will be a different experience, but nothing to worry about. And anyway, there are very few places of interest in France which are not full of tourists in July.

danny1980 Apr 11th, 2007 02:03 AM

I think you have accept that if you anywhere in Europe in July, especially an international capital like Paris, then its going to be extremely busy and very hot! If you prepare yourself mentally for this then you'll be fine.

http://www.travel--guide.org/Paris