Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-in-july-292376/)

Aduchamp1 Jan 26th, 2008 07:13 AM

Paris in July

This will be my fifth trip to Paris over a period of 35 years, so I think of every trip as basically the first.

In the past we have stayed on the Left Bank and this time I will by myself for a week during the summer. (We usually travel May, June or September, October but there are mitigating curcumsatnces.)

Sketchy Itinerary

Full day-Louvre-I have not been there since 1972 but have passed the I.M. Pei oddity.

Second Day-walk the city

Pompidou-Have not been there since the renovation

Fourth Day-?

Fifth Day-D'Orsay, to me the finest restoration of a public place I have seen.

Sixth 1/2-L'Orangerie or Cluny

I eat almost everything but mussels and will eat my large meal during the day and fill my backpack with bread, cheese, chocolates, etc for a feast back in my room.

I am looking for an inexpensive place which must have an elevator which could be in any area and any interesting sites or stores.

Thank you in advance.

ira Jan 26th, 2008 08:00 AM

Hi A,

>I am looking for an inexpensive place

What is your budget?

((I))

tod Jan 26th, 2008 08:05 AM

Aduchamp1 - Have you thought of buying the latest good guide book on Paris? These give so much to choose from with walks, maps, resto ideas, etc. etc. It's a good place to begin - then when 3 or 4 ideas for a days outing are chosen you can fine tune the details with this Fodors board.

Aduchamp1 Jan 26th, 2008 08:40 AM

I have Frommer's Paris 2008 and I am waiting for 2008 Time Out Paris and literary walks of Paris.

I really do not want to spend more than the equivalent of $125 per night.

Although we have scores of travel guides on our shelves, personal experience is always valuable.

I am asking more about hotels, food shops, unique stores and areas that are off the beaten path.

My interests are art, architecture, and literature. I have had over two dozen photographic exhibits, I am invovled with an art coop in NYC, and I have a Masters in Writing.

I also collect what are called cstampless covers and 19th century covers (philatelic) from France.

I hope that is hopeful.

hb9542 Jan 26th, 2008 08:47 AM

I spent about a week in Pairs last summer on a solo trip and stayed at the Hotel De Saint Germaine, quite near St. Germaine Des Pres church. Last year it was about 85E for a single room in July and was in an area where I felt quite safe as well as being very convenient. You might also look into the Paris Walks company and enjoy some of their small group, English language walking tours to areas such as the Marais, Montmartre, etc.

Aduchamp1 Jan 26th, 2008 09:17 AM

Soory for all the typos in the previous posting.

Thanks for the hints.

isabel Jan 26th, 2008 09:57 AM

My two favorite hotels are the St Jacques in the 5th www.hotel-saintjacques.com/ and the St Andres des Arts in the 6th http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h7...dredesarts.htm

The St Jacques is nicer but the St Andres is cheaper and they are both fine and in great locations.

I do walking tours that I put together from various sources when I travel. I don't have the walking tours on line, but my photos are arranged according to the walks - eg. I start at Ile de la Cite and work out. If you want to get an idea of the areas that interest you you could take a look at my photos - www.pbase.com/annforcier/paris - warning: there are alot of them.

Apres_Londee Jan 26th, 2008 10:47 AM

If you don't already have one, I really recommend getting a Blue Guide to Paris.

I'm planning a second trip to Paris this April, and I bought the Paris Blue Guide a couple of weeks ago and have almost read it cover to cover. It has walks that are very different than those usually found in guidebooks, and gives attention to all sort of detail about art collections, architecture, and history.

Anyways, there is a fairly new musuem in the Blue Guide that I hadn't heard of before- the Museum of Letters and Manuscripts. I love the British Library in London, so I'm planning to visit this museum in Paris. Given your interests you may find it interesting as well. Here's the description from the Blue Guide:

"This unusually museum, dedicated entirely to old letters and rare manuscripts, opened in 2004 in a mansion at 8 Rue de Nesle built in 1608. The permanent display, over three floors, benefits from a totally up-to-date museum design and the collection is wide-ranging and fascinating. Among the precious documents it contains are a Mozart score, an original manuscript by George Sand, and a whole raft of letters written by Voltaire, Napoleon, Gericault, Manet, and Paul Eluard. There is also a manuscript relating to Einstein's calculations for the Theory of Relativity."

Here's the museum's website:

http://tinyurl.com/3djlbg

NeoPatrick Jan 26th, 2008 10:52 AM

Have you considered an apartment. You mention about a feast in your room, so having a little kitchen and refrigerator and a microwave, etc., could be wonderful.

Here is the very spacious and atmospheric studio we've rented twice right by Eglise Saint Severin. It's even nicely air-conditioned. The only drawback is that there is no elevator but it is only one flight up -- is that a problem? The price is pretty much at your budget, but if you think you'd like it, let me know and you can email the owner direct and probably get it considerably cheaper as we did this past summer.
http://www.parisattitude.com/apartme...numProduit=114

AnthonyGA Jan 26th, 2008 10:57 AM

A big difference from 35 years ago is that now you'll need an apartment with air conditioning, as most of the last ten or fifteen summers have been uncomfortably hot and far beyond historical norms. If you are lucky, you might get a very temperate July, like the city had in 2007, but that is much more the exception than the rule.

If the heat rolls in and you don't have A/C, your vacation will be ruined.

goddessintl Jan 26th, 2008 11:00 AM

You might consider this place:

www.hotelbellevue75.com

I have stayed here a few times, and while it's basic, the rooms are pretty spacious for central Paris, and the breakfast is quite good. Close to the Pompidou Centre, which is on your list. Also close to the Marais area (one of my favourites), and the rue Montorgeuil pedestrian zone.

Bon voyage!

NeoPatrick Jan 26th, 2008 11:17 AM

A agree with Anthony about needing AC in July, especially in a small hotel room, but for an apartment as well. And I don't see that the Hotel Bellevue has AC.