Paris in early February???

Jun 17th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

Paris in early February???

There is a good deal with Go-Today for an air/hotel combo package, that I am interested in. But my free time is begining of February. My son went mid Feb. a couple years ago and didn't mind the weather.

What is typical? I just don't want freezing conditions, with there being a lot of walking. Thanks for the help.
Jun 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM

We didn't have freezing conditions when we went in early February 2007. It was quite comfortable, and we had very little rain, particularly for the time of year. You will need to wear a jacket most likely, but I didn't find it necessary to dress warmly.

Check www.weatherunderground.com for historical weather data.
Jun 17th, 2007, 01:52 AM

On one hand it can get very cold, rain? for sure, but on the other everything will be less people visiting, prices more reasonable in hotels etc. Also it can get reasonaable weather wise, we have been there many winters and it is just fine. only thing you have to star early because at 4 or 5 it will get dark.
Jun 17th, 2007, 02:02 AM

I can see the advantage of an early start, but on the other hand, we spent two evenings going to the theatre, and one night going to the Louvre. We could easily have done concerts also. So there is a lot to do at night too.
Jun 17th, 2007, 02:10 AM

I have gone to Paris in February twice. One time it snowed and it was so unusual that people were all excited and scooped up snow from the cars and threw snowballs on the street. It melted pretty quickly.

It isn't the kind of freezing, slushy, icy mess that develops on the streets in places like New York.

You might be interested in my trip reports (warning, long!):

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34574921

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34762455
Jun 17th, 2007, 02:41 AM

February is the only month of the year when the rare tourists can feel that they have the city and its attractions almost to themselves. Disregarding the weather, that is a fine reason to go all by itself.
Jun 17th, 2007, 02:44 AM

I was in Feb this year. Stayed at the Westminster Opera on rue de la Paix.

It was chilly. You need coat and gloves. No rain when I was there. Paris rarely gets snow and if so, it does not stay around.

I had a great trip...

Enjoy........
Jun 17th, 2007, 02:48 AM

We were there in the first week of February last year. It was definitely "freezing"...all the fountains were frozen solid. It was beautiful! And it didn't stop us from doing what we wanted to do.

We took the bus a lot more than our usual long walks. We even took cabs home from dinner...the first time we've done that. There were no lines anywhere. Lots of interesting exhibits at the museums. Opera, concerts...lots to do.

We called it "two-scarf" weather: one around the neck/head, one to wrap loosely around the face if it's windy. Silk long underwear, boots, and layers a must.

Jun 17th, 2007, 05:11 AM

I've visited Paris a few times in Februrary for work and have lived in Paris for the past two years. So far, I've experienced: a) one slushy, snowy, messy 2-day trip; b) one beautifully sunny and relatively warm (for winter) trip; c) one coldish February (Feb 2006) although not nearly as cold as where I come from (Toronto); and d) one mild February (2007), where the temperatures generally ranged from about 5-14C.

Bring at least a midweight coat, plus scarf, gloves and warm shoes. Pack a spare pair of walking shoes, because it often rains in short bursts and you could get drenched. Generally, it doesn't rain all day, but if it's anything other than bright blue sky in all directions in the morning, it likely will rain for 15-45 minutes.

Use the weather as an excuse to indulge in hot chocolate at cafes, something Paris does very well.

Also, if your trip is at the very beginning of February, there's a good chance you will be there during the semi-annual sales (Les Soldes), which offer terrific deals on clothes, housewares, etc. Massive crowds in the shops, too, but worth the trip.

Search this Thread