Reload this Page >

paris in dec..travel hints--weather, shopping, cutural events...help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:39 PM
zee

traveling to Paris in beg. of december. what do i pack, how is the weather, what are the cultural events, what obscure museum should i not miss (i have been to the top tourist sites already), etc. Please help .... <BR>any xmas stuff that is a must see??? <BR>thanks

Old Jun 21st, 1999, 01:47 PM
elvira

Ever been to the Edith Piaf Museum? It's in a guy's apartment...tres weird. <BR>Museum of Man in the Trocadero: incredible stuff from ancient tribes and cultures...and a whole exhibit on cooking cultures (I can't remember if it was a special exhibit or it's part of the permanent collection; there are cooking implements that don't look a whole lot different from medieval instruments of torture). The trees along the Champs Elysees are usually strung with white lights.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 04:06 AM
Valerie

Other unusual sites on the macabre side in Paris are the Catacombs under the Latin Quarter where there are rows and rows of stacked bones from the revolutionary war that were moved there in the early 1800's. This goes on underground for about a half a mile. Creepy. Also there is the Pere La Chaise Cemetery with famous people buried there like Jim Morrison, Chopin, Edith Piaf. The stones are very interesting. You can buy a map across the street at the flower shop.

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 04:20 AM
s.fowler

We were in Paris last December. It was gray, drizzly but not that cold... more like in the 40s and 50s [fahrenheit]. But it could certainly be colder. It was snowing elsewhere on the contintent. [We froze our fannies in Budapest just a week later.] I'd take a light to medium weight winter coat and layer with turtlenecks sweaters etc... <BR> <BR>Do be prepared... it is during the French "strike" season. We were fortunate.. we missed the Louvre, but we dodged the various "train actions." <BR> <BR>The Paris Opera should be in season. [at both the Garnier and Bastille.] I'll post the opera website later. We bought tickets ahead of time in the US through a "broker". It was expensive, but we knew we had them! [and they were fabulous seats!] <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 1999, 06:45 AM
anne

We enjoyed watching the ice-skating and the incongruous but pretty giant disco ball flashing its sparkles all over the lovely old buildings in front of the hotel de ville at night. Very festive!!

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 09:06 AM
Vincent

Have you already tried the "Musée des Arts africains et océaniens" ? This former Musée des Colonies lies in a very nice colonial-art déco building on the edge of the Bois de Vincennes (métro : porte dorée) and displays an impressive collection of African and Oceanian art. In general, Xmas is less festive and kitschy in Paris than in NY or London (the big emphasis being in the food in this un-Christian country ! ), but the Hôtel de Ville offers, alongside the ice-rink, a "crèche" (man-size nativity), usually imported from Italy. Otherwise, I wrote a post on "unusual things to do in Paris") this April, but am too lazy to retrieve it : you might try your luck !

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 06:01 PM
Seamus

At that time Paris can be QUITE cold or only moderately chilly, depending on prevailing conditions. We were there during an ice storm that turned the place into a delightful but oh-so-cold and slippery scene. Pack scarf and gloves, and plan to dress in layers. <BR>If you go to Versailles, leave some time to visit the small "downtown" area - just a few blocks of stores, but very charming. The merchants get together and select a Christmas theme, then decorate their stores accordingly. Also, we found some great prices on Christmas presents - better than in Paris itself - in these shops. Look for things like scarves, pens, purses, etc. There's also a "tea room" (salon de the)where we had the best hot cocao in the universe. Enjoy!

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 09:49 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>On the agenda for my fall trip to Paris is the musee Jacquemart-Andre,158 boul Hausmann,closed Mon.I have not been there yet, but it is described as a former private home and collection that includes Botticellis, Titians,Uccellos, <BR>Watteaus,Rembrandts, Bouchers, priceless furniture and other furnishings. <BR>

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 10:02 AM
Thomas Nastos

Paris is wonderful at any time of the year under most conditions. It can be very cold. But with layering of clothes you can get away with anything as your topcoat will disguise anything and will protect your valuables under your coat. Just walk all over the city until you find an area you'll return to. Try the Marais's Place de Vosges where you will find many small cafes, and its near the Picasso museum. Another interesting cemetery is the Montparnasse. Rodin museum outdoors is neat. The windows of the Galeries Lafayette are a bit gauch, but hey, you're in Paris with crowds of people and children. Fauchon's is interesting with lots of fancy goodies in the windows. Check at the tourist office for concerts at churches. Just stay around the city and walk walk walk. Have a drink at Fouquets or at Laduree on the Champs Elysees. Watch the snowfall over the Arch de Triomphe. The snowfall doesn't last long tho'. You'll be happy just to be in Paris.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 07:32 PM

topper,

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 03:12 PM
Lori

Be sure to walk the Champs Elysees at night, the trees are all lit up with tiny lights and it is so beautiful. It's one of my favorite Christmas memories. The weather can be varied -- we spent one Christmas there when I was outside with just a sweater for a jacket ... another time three layers felt comfortable! You just never know. Prepare for everything, rain, cold, and sunshine .. who know! You have a wonderful opportunity to do your Christmas shopping, if you are inclined to do so too. The stores don't do up as much as they do here in the U.S. but it's fun just the same. A big plus is that it is not prime tourist time so you can really enjoy the city. Have fun.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 08:04 PM
Rose

Am interested in shopping for perfumes in France and want to know if the prices are more reasonable there than say New York? Rose

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 05:57 AM
Carol

Rose: Believe it or not, I've gotten best perfume prices (40% discount) and a wide selection at the duty free shop in Chas DeGaulle airport. There are discount perfume shops in Paris, most guide books mention them, but I don't think you'll get a better deal.

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 05:59 AM
Carol

Rose: There's also a duty free store that sells ties, scarves, etc. I've gotten great discount prices on top name women's scarves.

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 11:57 PM
Vincent

Actually, you'll get better deals and more choice in the shops in the Opera neighborhood (such as Michel Swiss rue de la Paix). The airport stores might be duty free, but the profit margins are so high that they more or less eat up the whole price advantage.

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 08:16 AM
Carol

Vincent--hate to disagree with you but in my experience, Michel Swiss no longer has any better bargains than CDG, and regular retail prices in Paris are the same as in New York department stores.

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 09:24 AM
elvira

I've never found much of a bargain in perfumes in Paris (a coupla dollars, maybe, but not much) vs US cities. What I *do* find are perfumes not yet available in the US (Dune a few years ago; YSL "love" perfume last year). If you buy perfume, regard it as a souvenir, not a bargain-hunt.