Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Paris in August?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/paris-in-august-762986/)

bonacer22 Jan 22nd, 2009 12:47 PM

Paris in August??

Just how quiet is Paris in August? We have been warned to avoid Paris in August as it could be very quiet. Are the restaurants open? Please advise. Merci

Christina Jan 22nd, 2009 01:11 PM

It's pretty quiet, I guess, but it's quiet in August where I live in the US, also, actually. Some restaurants are closed and some are open. I wouldn't hazard a guess, but more are open than closed.

zeppole Jan 22nd, 2009 01:14 PM

When I lived in Paris, my very favorite time of the year was August. It is so beautifully quiet. But bear in mind I ultimately ended moving to a mountain in Liguria without roads, so I may be exceptional.

Any good restaurant guide will tell you which restaurants close in August in Paris. Very few close the entire month.

The tourist sites are mobbed. (Meaning, Notre Dame, the tower, Sacre Couer, the Louvre). But walking around is a joy, and the traffic drops by 50 percent (as does the noise level) and Paris returns to being a village. I adore it -- but you might not.

janeygirl Jan 22nd, 2009 01:17 PM

August is probably my least favorite time to visit Paris. The big sights are open, of course, and there are open restaurants, shops and cafes. The number of businesses that are closed, however, really has an impact on your experience, I think.

My first trip to Paris was during August. Subsequent trips have been in February, April, May, November and December. I would choose any of those months over August, given a choice.

nancicita Jan 22nd, 2009 01:19 PM

I remember going to a well-known restaurant in the 13th in 2006 and 2007, and it was closed both times. Why? It was August.

I also remember seeing signs posted in front of some restaurant doors in the south (Provence area) saying that they will close in August until mid-September.

It isn't really quiet in Paris in August though...TONS of tourists, high-school students, kids & families, etc. I personally wouldn't travel in August, unless if I must.

namaka Jan 22nd, 2009 03:03 PM

I too went to Paris in August. It was for 10 days in 2007. I didn't notice it being that much less quieter than the previous year (June) with exception to Berthillon being closed.

I would definitely go again in August.

nytraveler Jan 22nd, 2009 05:23 PM

Some small family places will be closed. Most will be open. And while many Parisians will leave town for the country or the beach - many people from outside France will head there to take their places.

cigalechanta Jan 22nd, 2009 06:03 PM

Paris was quiet years ago as most restaurants closed but few do these days and more people travel.
I like it in August also because I can travel light.

cigalechanta Jan 22nd, 2009 06:09 PM

This article gives you alot of information

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...p;pagewanted=1

danon Jan 22nd, 2009 06:17 PM

I would avoid it after the first week in August.

cmeyer54 Jan 22nd, 2009 06:47 PM

We visited Paris in august and had no issues with restaurants or attractions being closed. One 'famous' ice cream shop was closed but that was all. Just make sure your hotel has A/C!

ParisAmsterdam Jan 22nd, 2009 07:02 PM

3 visits in a row over the years have been in August...
not a problem.

Traffic is lighter hence it's easier to get around.

Closing an ice cream shop in August is pretty bizarre but luckily other outlets handle
their product as well. ;^)

Rob

Intex Jan 23rd, 2009 03:15 PM

I always seem to be in Paris in August, and have NO problem. It is not quiet, maybe 20-30 years ago when I started going, but now as others have stated, most shops. restauranmts are open. If you are going for a certain shop or restuarant, then check it out first. Last August I used A/C for 3 days only! Had to give my a/c away in Sept.

Lissa2905 Jan 23rd, 2009 03:56 PM

We are travelling from Brisbane, Australia at the beginning of September to Paris for two weeks, then the south of France for a further two then on an on for a beautiful 13 week trip of a lifetime.
Will this be a good time to see Paris? Is there anything specific I should know about the weather / closures etc?
Thank you, Lissa

danon Jan 23rd, 2009 05:42 PM

"at the beginning of September to Paris"

great time - the city comes back to life after the "August" exodus.

cigalechanta Jan 23rd, 2009 05:58 PM

But that ice cream is served in so many cafes and restaurants,

Iregeo Jan 23rd, 2009 08:08 PM

I've travelled to Paris 3 times during the month of August. Yes, it's quieter than normal, but there's still plenty of people, traffic and life. Some restaurants and shops are closed. Many more are open. Perhaps the best part of Paris in August are the hotel summer promotions!